How do identify what year my engine is?

-
Do these photos help? I had added more to the previous post
Yep!

Definitely massaged 2bbl linkage

The kickdown spring is where it should be more or less.

Funny how both engines are blue but the kick down linkage still shows signs of red paint.

Mine was a result of a rebuild in the 80s.
Your 360
Screenshot_20230122-223959.png

My 273
Screenshot_20230122-224045.png

Last edited:
The throttle cable appears to be laying on the kickdown linkage and interfering with its travel - see picture and the diagram in post #17 and you can see it should be behind and under the kickdown linkage. Edelbrock has an easy fix for the too short 2bbl kickdown rod, it is an extension piece that screws on to the end of the arm and then the slotted part scews onto the end of it - easier than hunting down 340 linkage. The throttle bracket is also a 2bbl piece, which is too far back to allow the throttle cable to function properly. 4bbl throttle brackets are easy to spot since the clamping bracket is vertical instead of horizontal. there are several sources to buy one new. In case it hasn't been said already, this stuff is really important because lack of sufficient kick down lever pressure means insufficient pressure in the trans and could lead to burning up you trans.

The throttle cable appears to be laying on the kickdown linkage and interfering with its travel
I think it is optical illusion. My 273 is run the same way and does not touch anything. The photo from FSM in post 17 of the 4bbl install is generic and I don't think represents the small block setup.

-
Back