how do people make money?

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
serious question

i needed a 5 gallon jerry can for diesel, so i went online, checked the usual sources and decided on buying one from vietnam because, well it was the cheapest
a 5 gallon midwest can (made in the USA)
the seller is out in vietnam, but i dont need it today, and well, at 15.99 hes the cheapest one on there
(and that includes free shipping)

plus, if this is an american made can, perhaps it will ship from a US location, right?

so i ordered it sunday night before going to bed

well long story short, it arrived today
brand new, and in a cool box from autozone

but thats not all thats in the box, there is also...a receipt, so lets go over that shall we

midwest can 28.99
shipping charge 10.00
next day delivery 3.01

sub total 35.98
tax 1.74

total 37.72

so whats going on here?
unless someone stole a credit card and is selling stuff online bought with it, they have got to be loosing money on it, no?

serious question

i needed a 5 gallon jerry can for diesel, so i went online, checked the usual sources and decided on buying one from vietnam because, well it was the cheapest
a 5 gallon midwest can (made in the USA)
the seller is out in vietnam, but i dont need it today, and well, at 15.99 hes the cheapest one on there
(and that includes free shipping)

plus, if this is an american made can, perhaps it will ship from a US location, right?

so i ordered it sunday night before going to bed

well long story short, it arrived today
brand new, and in a cool box from autozone

but thats not all thats in the box, there is also...a receipt, so lets go over that shall we

midwest can 28.99
shipping charge 10.00
next day delivery 3.01

sub total 35.98
tax 1.74

total 37.72

so whats going on here?
unless someone stole a credit card and is selling stuff online bought with it, they have got to be loosing money on it, no?

Where did you learn math? You are way off.

Where did you learn math? You are way off.
if my phone stops acting up ill post a pic of the receipt, i think maybe the "next day delivery" fee is a discount?

20240716_140522.jpg

You bought a stolen item.

The seller has a VPN, and his location is Vietnam, he's right here in the US. My guess is, that's direct shipped from AZ, since the receipt is dated yesterday. I see no proof that it's stolen.

Edited to add: is that your discover card number on the receipt?

Some sellers will offer prices at/below cost to drum up support for new business. When I sold Kawasaki's, we made more on the helmet than we did on a Ninja 250.
"Loss Leader".

Edited to add: is that your discover card number on the receipt?
i dont know if ebay would be tricked by a VPN, i mean, you need a physical adress, right?

it is not my number on there

I`d be keeping an eye on your card like a hawk.

i bought it from ebay, through paypal, with a credit card, thats about as "safe" as i can be, but still, point taken

Diesel storage and transport. Free.
(I grab empties from the trash at the dragstrip. These are a small portion of my collection).

View attachment 1716276980
Wouldn’t happen here. Unless it’s a YELLOW approved plastic container for diesel or red for gas the filling station won’t fill it for you. That’s why I use the card lock in town

Wouldn’t happen here. Unless it’s a YELLOW approved plastic container for diesel or red for gas the filling station won’t fill it for you. That’s why I use the card lock in town
I have had an attendant/monkey at Sam's refuse to let me use an obvious fuel container to put fuel in.
So I went to my other really cheap station in town, that doesnt care if you use a drink container from McDonald's, bought $180 of diesel/91, and showed the receipt to Sam's, said "this is the sale you lost this time, and every time, from now on."
Card lock???

I have had an attendant/monkey at Sam's refuse to let me use an obvious fuel container to put fuel in.
So I went to my other really cheap station in town, that doesnt care if you use a drink container from McDonald's, bought $180 of diesel/91, and showed the receipt to Sam's, said "this is the sale you lost this time, and every time, from now on."
Card lock???
Ya we have and so do you places where you go to a card machine insert your card pump your own fuel and go. Been all over the us in a hwy tractor card locks everywhere

The math ain't mathing!
28.99+10=38.99
38.99+3.01=42.00 plus Taz
Looks to me like they subtracted the 3.01 instead of adding it. Or is that your point? I'm lost!

Scammer steals credit cards. Buys all the **** they can with it. Often online, not always.
Turns around and sells stuff super cheap online to make cash. The owner of the credit card will charge back and autozone loses out the raises prices next year.
Next year Jim Bob swears off autozone for rock auto because it's "so much cheaper". Circle of life.
Also, stuff gets shipped around to avoid local cops getting involved because the feds are slow. How do they pay for overnight shipping? Oh yeah, free credit card..

TL;DR: The gas can wasn't stolen, but the credit card used to buy it was.

I'd call Autozone and give them the ticket number to find out the situation, then go from there.

I use a pre payed card that way the $50 extra is all they can get from you
I don't buy a damn thing with a credit/debit card if I can avoid it. Unfortunately, sometimes I want something from jegs or summit, and I can't avoid it.
Bought a couple gift cards from Amazon, cause I don't trust them with a credit card..... and the bastards wouldn't honor the gift cards. F@#kem, I will NEVER buy anything from Amazon, or any other company (rock auto) that I can't talk to a human.

Ya we have and so do you places where you go to a card machine insert your card pump your own fuel and go. Been all over the us in a hwy tractor card locks everywhere
Okay, I get it. Everybody that sells gas,here in the states take debit/credit cards at the pump. (I think Arco was the last to add them) I had just never heard them called that.
Plus, I always use cash for my gas purchase.

-
Back