How do these parts come off???

-

Gag_Halfront

Reaction score
I've hit three snags on my '68 fastback Barracuda as I'm stripping the body down. The easiest for someone to fill me in on will probably be the front and rear windows. Advance Auto sells a "window trim tool" that looks like this:

LRS-TX39.jpg

Is this the tool I need? The package says it works for "GM, Ford, and AMC". If it is the right thing, can somebody explain how to use it? The instructions on the package are not totally clear. If it's not the right tool, can somebody point me at the right thing?

Next on the list of parts that I can't seem to remove is the trim _under_ the quarter windows. The drip rail trim was no problem, but the trim under the rear windows has some kind of little clips under it that I don't know how to remove without destroying the trim.

The third part... The one that is the most frustrating, is the flip-cap gas door. :angry7: The screws are some kind of funky specialty screw that I've never seen before. Is there a special tool for this? If so, does somebody know what it's called and where to get one? I'm tempted to just drill the stupid things out, but I'd like to do it right if possible.

Thanks very much in advance for any help anybody can give. I'm an admitted novice at this type of work and this board has been so incredibly helpful!

That window trim tool should work. It just nneds to grab the clip. There is someone repopping the flip top unique screws and tool as well, just can't remember where I saw it.

Trim removal can be very frustrating for anyone, novice or not. It really helps a lot it if you know what the clips look like and understand how they hold the trim in place.
The front and back window trim clips need to be pulled away slightly from the trim to release it. Slide the tool tip all the way under the trim and along it until you feel the pointed tip contact the clip. Gently hook the tip behind the clip and pull towards the middle of the window to release. Doesnt have to move much, 1/8" or less, to release the trim from the clip. Some clips may break but its much cheaper and better than damaging the trim.

There is a single screw on the rear upper end of the 1/4 window trim, the rest is just bent wire spring clips that will pop out when the trim is gently pried upwards. Use a wide stiff putty knife or similar.

The screws on the gas cap are "tamper proof" or "one way" screws, they supposedly kept the cap from being stolen. I have always been able to remove them with a strong pair of pliers or vicegrips.

Yeah I've removed the fuel door screws with needle nose pliers too. Once in a while I need to turn one from the inside end to get it moving.
As for those clips on the reveal moldings... its a hit and miss. On one car I seem to get the right angle on the dangle and zip the tool along releaing the clips like snaps , then on the next car I fight and / or break most of them. Good luck

If you can find something made of flexible, thin metal, with three rounded bumps on the top and a slight bend about two inches wide, that's the tool you need. I guess I should go take a picture of my trim tools. I've had good luck with them. A good old fashioned bottle opener works well for a lot of trim too, especially the roof gutter trim. Just wrap tape around the edge so it doesn't scratch.
I'll go take a picture here, stay tuned.

Remember when trying to remove the window trim with that tool it MUST stay flat. If you try to pry and rotate the tool into the glass you can break it. Care must be taken or you will be purchasing a new windshield or back glass.

As for the front and back glass the easist way is to sacrifice the rubber gasket as these are a whole lot easier to replace then the glass. Slide a razor blade under the rubber along the glass and cut the weatherstripping lip on the exterior off. The glass will then pop out.

LOL! I Don't think I haven't been tempted! :D

GTS340, I'd love to see a pic of that tool if you get a chance. Even a link to a pic on someone else's site would be cool just so I can keep an eye out for it.

Thanks for the tips, guys. My gas cap screws are going to be a bear. This car sat outdoors without being touched for about 33 years. I hope the vise grips can get 'em. If not, I'm just going to drill them out. With everything I've got to do on this car, I'm not going to let 3 stupid screws get in my way.

Thanks again everybody.

Here are the tools I typically use for trim removal. The tool second from the right is the tool I was telling you about. It's actually a GM Kent Moore tool. J24416 is the number on it, in case you can find one. It's flexible and the three fingers get under the trim and unlock the trim clips. A bottle opener like the one shown has benefits too, but not for the trim around the windows. I have several more trim tools, but most of them are better suited for interior stuff or off brands. Hope this helps.

100_2196.jpg

I was thinking, you could probably make the three finger tool out of a fairly flexible putty knife.

Next on the list of parts that I can't seem to remove is the trim _under_ the quarter windows. The drip rail trim was no problem, but the trim under the rear windows has some kind of little clips under it that I don't know how to remove without destroying the trim.

The third part... The one that is the most frustrating, is the flip-cap gas door. :angry7: The screws are some kind of funky specialty screw that I've never seen before. Is there a special tool for this? If so, does somebody know what it's called and where to get one? I'm tempted to just drill the stupid things out, but I'd like to do it right if possible.

Thanks very much in advance for any help anybody can give. I'm an admitted novice at this type of work and this board has been so incredibly helpful!

Mine is a 67. so I don't have the clips on the windsheild gasket. But I will probably put a 68 gaskets on (I already have the chrome trim), so I guess I will have to figure it out later.

I just took off that wonderful rear quarter trim this weekend. on the bottom are three spring clips, just pried off. The back portion are two clips held on by screws. The screws must come out to get the trim off. You have to access the screw from the interior side. I tried to get to them without removing the inside trim panels without luck. I bent a phillips to 90 degrees with some heat and a vise, but still couldn't really get to them. I ended up taking out the interior trim. I am going to paint the interior anyway. Might as well paint it out of the car. If you do decide to take out the interior panels, the chrome strip at the top of the sail panel is held on by spring clips, so it will just pry off. this will reveal a bunch of screws. The rest was pretty easy.

For the flip gas cap, I bought the special tool for those tamper proof screws on ebay for $10-15.

I'm already in the process of stripping out my interior anyway, so this should be no problem. :)

I'll trawl ebay and see if I can come up with it. If not... well...

Thanks

BTW, the window channel felt covers the screws, but that just pries out also.

I have a tool that does a good job on the mouldings, it is a KD tool for Chrysler window mouldings. I will post the number/photo as soon as I get a chance. Made short work of the mouldings on my wife's 68, and other projects. MUCH easier to use than the tool you are looking at.

Here are a couple of pictures of the moulding tool I use. I have 2, sometimes t helps to work the clip from both sides.
The handle has K-D NO 2037 on it.

mouldingtool1.JPG

Mouldingtool2.JPG

mouldingtool1.JPG

Mouldingtool2.JPG

I've hit three snags on my '68 fastback Barracuda as I'm stripping the body down. The easiest for someone to fill me in on will probably be the front and rear windows. Advance Auto sells a "window trim tool" that looks like this:

LRS-TX39.jpg

Is this the tool I need? The package says it works for "GM, Ford, and AMC". If it is the right thing, can somebody explain how to use it? The instructions on the package are not totally clear. If it's not the right tool, can somebody point me at the right thing?

Thanks very much in advance for any help anybody can give. I'm an admitted novice at this type of work and this board has been so incredibly helpful![/ Here is the correct tool, Comes with 3 new screws.http://www.ebay.com/itm/200868293783?item=200868293783&viewitem=&vxp=mtr

-
Back