How do you build your car

-

amzchad

Reaction score
This comes to me all the time you need to keep your car as it is you need to do this so the resale value is high blah blah blah i wanna build a car i am happy with a car that fits me that i like

how do you build your car for other people resale value or for yourslef

i wont build my car for other people i will do it as i see fit if they dont like it well dont look at it

Mine will be done for me, and me alone, although I will solicit tips/suggestions from others, the final product will be what I want. The car is a non numbers matching vehicle, so I have a blank canvas on which to forge the car that is in my imagination. A combination of stock, with some updates/changes to fit what I envision.

If it was a numbers matching car, I would approach it different.

FF

Build it your way if you build it to make others happy or to maintain resale all you will want to do is sell it, then you won't be happy and can't enjoy it.

Forget other people... anything i ever build will be for me... plain and simple. Sorry, but if I like it I dont give a crap what the guy next to me thinks, haha.

If I'm planning on reselling it I would build it for value ( I've never done that because I can't bring myself to sell anything). I build what makes me happy, and that usually is not stock or original. I build my cars to run hard because thats the way I drive them. I'm not going to live forever and I want to use up as much of my car before I die as I can! Besides your spending the time and money it should be you that gets the reward.If your doing what you like it is a hobby, if your doing what others like it is work,and work sucks!

Build it like you want it!
My '67 was a /6 auto on the tree....nothing wrong with that,
but I wanted a small block, buckets, console, Super Stock
hood and scoop.......

No brainer for me, for myself. I am building a car for what I want to do with it and how I want it to look. If no one likes it isn't something I ever considered, no one else is paying for it. Now if I picked up something numbers correct special edition of high value I may restore it stock.

when I had my 70 Challenger I felt I had to build it a certain way, however now that Im building a Valiant its game on

i wont build my car for other people i will do it as i see fit if they dont like it well dont look at it

You need to build the car you want. Someday if somebody wants to give you more than the money you have into it minus the enjoyment you had.....you win but I doubt there are may of us that truely make money at this hobby. I say this finishing an $8000 416 smallblock build on a black plate 68 formula s. If anybody is truely honest you never make money on this hobby so....do it for yourself!

I build it for me. I really don't care if anyone else likes it. It's with me till death do us part. Of course my wife has some input. Her money is invested in it to.

Fred B

Biuld it for yourself. I like to build in future needs. I don't like building the same car twice. Need to rebuild front suspension, consider disk right away.Springs sagging, how about Super stocks ect. If you build a good platform, any engine will be happy in it.

ps-don't throw out the stock parts. someone might want them.

ps-don't throw out the stock parts. someone might want them.[/quote]
I wish I had that advise about 20 years ago.

I buy the car I like and add the ideas I can afford and have time for. The internet is such a great source for ideas and materials, nothing is off the table. My cars always evolve to a finished product that I did not see when I started!
Rat

Build it like you want it!
My '67 was a /6 auto on the tree....nothing wrong with that,
but I wanted a small block, buckets, console, Super Stock
hood and scoop.......

Amen Tony. My 64 Dart is the same way /6 and push button auto. Dropping in a mildly upgraded 273 just to keep it "period correct", GT buckets and a console from a B body. Even though it's all original, it's a low value collector, so why not start from a rust free car and make it what I want to drive? :toothy10:

Build the car your way. Just make it something different.Dont cookie cut it. That truly kills value more than anything. If you are worried about resale then just dont do anything with it,sell it as is. I have learned the people worried about resale value do not understand the true meaning of being a gear head. Your car is who you are not what you want. If you follow what everyone else has said to this point you will enjoy your car much more. I will always build a car the way I want it to be.

I build my cars like I want. If it is a rare or valuable car I try not to bo any thing that can't be put back to stock though.

When I bought my 66Dart I had a vision that didn,t include 13 inch tires,the slant 6 or the little 7 14 rear.Now it has disc.brakes 360/904,8 3/4 s.g with Moser axels.14,s up front and 15,s out back and rallys.To me the car looks 100% better and that,s the way I wanted it.Whatever anybody else thinks,I really don,t care cause I did the work and spent my money.My 2 cents.If it was a sotafter car mint condition,I wouldn,t even drive it.To me that,s a waste.

Same here, we must all be from the same school. I built my 64 Signet to be different and forty G's and 20 years later, its just what I've always wanted

well heres the deal i was just wondering how you guys go about it my step dad can tell me all he wants to keep it stock but im not going to i wanna do custom consle stereo bigger engine alterk and so on

Step one: get car. Step two: fall in love with car. Step three: build it your way!
Really, man, it's your car. It's your blood, sweat, and tears. It's your money. What do you want out of it? Bigger stereo? Bigger tires and wheels? More horse? Better brakes and suspension? You'll be driving it. Why not make it something you're going to be happy with? Nine times out of ten, unless it's a high dollar Hemi, A12, Ramcharger 426, S/S Plymouth, Winged Warrior, etc car, if you put money into it as an "investment" you're going to take a hit. So the whole "investment" argument is a wash.
Besides, you're still young. Those cars will be in the future. For the now, why not have fun with it?

Rare cars, need to be built so it can be put back to stock if you plan on selling.

All others, sometime the mods make it more valuable and increase resale interest.

My Dart was a slant 6 auto on column with few options

Now has a 340, console 4 speed, 8 3/4 rear, PS, AC, cloth top, pearl paint, 69 Hood and stripe, front & rear sway bars.

I was offered STUPID MONEY for it 2 years ago, wish now I had taken it

What would you rather have what I started with or finished?

66WildCat.jpg
I didn't find a picture of the Dart on my computer, here is my Prowler. Did it when it was 5 months old, (have had for 11 years) Many could not believe I did this, but it is the only Prowler that has it's own Johnny Lighting diecast that I know of.

66WildCat.jpg

-
Back