How do you Convert HEI to Mopar

-

340dartley

Reaction score
Random question. I am not in the market at the moment for a new distributor but I have an HEI dizzy under my work bench that I have no use for. I don't own any GM vehicles at all so I was going to either sell it or chuck it. I have seen several posts on here about people running them on there mopar. I know I can buy a distributor with the proper shaft and housing but wondering if there is any use for me to keep it?

Never heard of anyone installing a GM distributor on a Mopar engine, if that is your thought. That is not what people refer to when they install HEI (various flavors).

Member Trailbeast makes a conversion kit to use the GM style HEI chip to replace to older style Mopar unit.

The difference is quite incredible.

With the correct parts from that GM dizzy, you can do it yourself .

Here's a link to a testimonial vid.

Switched to HEI

Video Link..

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Zl0ks2o-DjQ[/MEDIA]"]Mopar ignition to GM style HEI - YouTube[/ame]

hope it helps.

Ah I see. I have heard of people using a Gmail style distributor in a mopar. Using the wider spread of terminals prevents cross spark jumping allegedly. I wasn't sure if someone here had modified one.

There is a version sold aftermarket that is pretty cheap. ($63)
Mopar Chrysler BB 440 65K Coil HEI Electronic Distributor - Red Cap
3797_1_-500x500.jpg

Member Trailbeast makes a conversion kit to use the GM style HEI chip to replace to older style Mopar unit.

Switched to HEI

Video Link..

[ame="[MEDIA=youtube]Zl0ks2o-DjQ[/MEDIA]"]Mopar ignition to GM style HEI - YouTube[/ame]

hope it helps.
What this video shows more than anything is the importance of using the proper amount of inital timing!!!

Switched to HEI

Video Link..

hope it helps.

Is the initial timing the same with both ignitions?

Is the initial timing the same with both ignitions?

Yes, but not nec what the book says.

There is a procedure for establishing optimal initial timing using a vacuum guage. Then the dizzy needs to be modified to limit the total advance.

There are several threads on the subject.

Once established, the initial timing is correct for all ignition systems.

Yes, but not nec what the book says.

There is a procedure for establishing optimal initial timing using a vacuum guage. Then the dizzy needs to be modified to limit the total advance.

There are several threads on the subject.

Once established, the initial timing is correct for all ignition systems.

I understand the procedure for setting initial timing and limiting mechanical advance to achieve optimal total timing. I was just curious if the initial timing was the same for both videos? Did the ignitions change what the engine wanted for initial timing at all?

The OP states he changed nothing except install of Trailbeast's HEI conversion.

My own experiences have been a similar improvement.

Seldom get to hear the gear reduction starter crank anymore, the cars generally start on the first rotation, kinda miss the rrrrrrrrrr vroom. lol jmo

The OP states he changed nothing except install of Trailbeast's HEI conversion.

My own experiences have been a similar improvement.

Seldom get to hear the gear reduction starter crank anymore, the cars generally start on the first rotation, kinda miss the rrrrrrrrrr vroom. lol jmo

I think I was assuming that was your car in the video. Am I wrong in that assumption? If so, was the initial timing the same in the video with the two different ignitions? Just curious if the engine wanted a different amount of initial timing. Thanks

I think I was assuming that was your car in the video. Am I wrong in that assumption? If so, was the initial timing the same in the video with the two different ignitions? Just curious if the engine wanted a different amount of initial timing. Thanks

No, that's not my vehicle in the video, but that video did motivate me to do that conversion to several vehicles I maintain.

Try it, you'll like it.

jmo.. cheers

If your Mopar electronic ignition is in good operating condition, you will not notice a lot of difference going to the GM HEI module.

The main reason for the conversion is cheap, available parts. Since almost all of GM's product line used the 4 pin HEI module at one time or another, they are prolific and inexpensive in the auto parts industry.

Although not Mopar related, I have a GM style HEI distributor in the 351M in my 75 F250. The original distributor needed a vacuum advance and I wanted to recurve it, plus the advance weights did not work right.

So I got one of those Pro Comp, Skip White, Speedmaster, chinkesium HEI distributors. 75 bucks WITH Accel wires. Been runnin fantastic ever since. I even got the MR Gasket recurve kit with weights and springs and recurved it. That was another whoppin 4 dollars. Yes, the GM style stuff has its advantages.

All that said, Trailbeast's offerings I am sure are higher quality as he puts the packages together himself, and not on some mass assembly line. One by one, personally built to your specific specs. American made AND you are supporting a fine upstanding forum member. I highly recommend his kits. I did what I did out of sheer budget requirements. I have no doubt I would be equally or more happy with Trailbeast's products. He is a good guy and knows what he is doing.

RRR is right on, its about cheaper replacement parts, and parts that are more avalible at your local parts store. If your factory system is in GOOD working order, you WILL NOT see the idle change seen in those two vids. THAT change is the result of adjusting the inital timing. Its not a bad swap, but dont expect a noticable change.

Here's the original post, no timing changes etc.

Here is a vid of my car before and after I installed a GM style HEI. First 20 seconds are before, cool sounding lopy cam right? Listen to it after the HEI was put on. Instant power. The way this car starts and runs now is unreal.

I bought the set up from FABO member Trail Beast. www.classichei.com but you can fab one out of parts from the local auto parts store or junkyard

Thanks all for the kind words. After the install a I had to do was regap the plugs to .045 and adjust the idle. The timing didn't change

Believe in the GM HEI ignition now?

Here's the original post, no timing changes etc.
You do realize, that changing the module itself, can change the timing without ever touching the distributor, correct? Again, I aint saying its a bad swap

I am presuming he checked the timing as I, and apparently you would. But you're right, he may just have assumed.

I know in the swaps I've done, I only had to alter timing once, but I hadn't checked it before the change.

One vehicle was pig rich like the one in the vid, and the HEI made a significant diff as in vid.

I've experienced the same improvement when installing an MSD, timing set the same before and after.

The hotter spark is definately improving fuel burn.

Never heard of anyone installing a GM distributor on a Mopar engine, if that is your thought. That is not what people refer to when they install HEI (various flavors).

I did many years ago. Took one of the old Corvette breakerless distributors with a tach drive and shortened it, had a machinist tang the shaft end and redo the shortened casting for a bushing. It sat into the bottom of a collar cut off the bottom of a junk Mopar dist machined to fit the GM distributor.

This was a Chev dist redone for a SB Mopar, as they both rotate CW

This was in the early seventies, and was used to trigger a Mopar ECU. This was before I knew about rotor phasing and it did not run well. I'm sure if I'd played with it some I'd have found the trouble. This was also before some of us realized you could adapt the HEI module.

Like one of these

DSCN2182.jpg~original

To the OP. this is the cheap way out......

4pin-jpg.1714715639

That is, a 4 pin module, and you can even use your Mopar coil. Bypass the resistor. Pay attention to the diagram RE: the pickup coil connector

I also made one up for "emergency" ignition, and have used it several times now, to test fire used engines. Just pop in a Mopar dist, hook it up, jumper cables to the starter, and you are running

hwlcfa.jpg

I did many years ago. Took one of the old Corvette breakerless distributors with a tach drive and shortened it, had a machinist tang the shaft end and redo the shortened casting for a bushing. It sat into the bottom of a collar cut off the bottom of a junk Mopar dist machined to fit the GM distributor.

This was a Chev dist redone for a SB Mopar, as they both rotate CW

This was in the early seventies, and was used to trigger a Mopar ECU. This was before I knew about rotor phasing and it did not run well. I'm sure if I'd played with it some I'd have found the trouble. This was also before some of us realized you could adapt the HEI module.

Like one of these

DSCN2182.jpg~original
That is kind of what I was thinking when I heard about HEI conversion. I had always heard and still hear that the original Chrysler electronic ignition was one of the best . I could really only assume that the advantage of the HEI was the size of the cap and the simple hook up . You learn something new every day.

To the OP. this is the cheap way out......

4pin-jpg.1714715639

That is, a 4 pin module, and you can even use your Mopar coil. Bypass the resistor. Pay attention to the diagram RE: the pickup coil connector

I also made one up for "emergency" ignition, and have used it several times now, to test fire used engines. Just pop in a Mopar dist, hook it up, jumper cables to the starter, and you are running

hwlcfa.jpg
That is slick

GM's HEI is a later design than the Mopar 1970's ECU and gives a slightly better spark. It doesn't need a ballast resistor, due to electronic current control. Mopar had similar by the 1980's, but buried into the engine controller ("lean burn"). The main problem w/ the Mopar ECU is less reliability, with many poor modules in the supply stream. HEI is also easier to retrofit to points-type engines. The 8-pin HEI module is a bit better than the 4-pin, using sealed connectors, and found on 85-95 Chevy V-8 (-93 cars). TrailBeast sells the kitted parts if you don't like junkyards. For all but a slant, you can buy a ready-to-run HEI distributor <$60 (ebay), but isn't the 8-pin module. Many posts on all that here w/ reviews.

To be clear, the import ebay distributors may be just fine, but they are NOT "GM" HEI. They seem to be an Australian module, Holden?

-
Back