How do you determine "ride height" to make suspension mods??

-
I can definitely tell you I have called, emailed, and no one will do an 18x12 -- Even custom ordered they still won't -- Bullitt Rims - NO ---- COYS -- NO

Only company I found who will do one is Billet Specialties, They make them completely custom to your backspacing in a style close to the Bullit Rims for around $750/ each -- Not too bad for an 18x12 with custom back spacing.

thats crazy, wonder why...

man $750 a wheel? couldn't you do a bullet 18x10 for $164.99 each and get them made to 12" cheaper then $750 a wheel? you 100% sold on the 12" wheel? a 10" wheel would save a ton of cash..

i know your a little far away but these guys have a great rep for widening wheels.

Wheel Works
1703 Route 130 N
Burlington, NJ 08016
(609) 387-4488

To run the fattest tire I can fit in there which looks to be a 335/30/R18 narrowest wheel I can run is an 11.5 -- so I am going with a 12" wheel since its easier to find (well I thought it was)

I did consider buying the Bullit wheels and widening them but when you break it all it will be about a wash to do the wheel from Billet Specialties. Only difference is a lot let chasing around for the finished wheel. And Billet Specialties can do custom width/bs matching from wheels too.

Bullit Wheel 18x10 = $165
Shipping to me on Bullit Wheel - $ 45
Shipping wheel to widening shop - $45
Widen wheel - $200 - estimate
Set back space while widening $75 - estimate
Shipping wheel back to me $45
Shipping wheel to powder coated to refinish wider wheel - $45
Powder Coating - $100 -- estimate
Shipping back to me - $45
Total to widen and get a finished to use wheel = $ 765

Yeah is $750 a lot per rear wheel + a $300 tire = $1000+ per each rear corner, YES IT IS -- But I must have bought all the cheap stuff already....LOL... Really what's (2K in rear wheel and tires) when I consider I am going to spend close to $5K or more JUST for the Alt K front set up and front brakes.

Might as well spend the money to make it the way I want it the first time.

Well here is what i cam up with my mock up wood tires and wheels for ride height options...

1st picture = 24.5 front - 26 rear -- to top of wheel opening

2nd picture = LEVEL ROCKER - 25.75 front - 25 rear -- to top of wheel opening

3rd picture = 24.5 front - 25.5 rear -- to top of wheel opening

What do you guys think??

Attachments

• Level 25.75F-25R.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 219
  • 24.5F-26R.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 215
  • 24.5F-25.5R.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 197
Take that last picture and drop her 2-3 inches

DSC01025.jpg

Take that last picture and drop her 2-3 inches

If I do that the frame will be a bit too close to the ground for the hilly roads of western PA.... The 3rd picture gives me 5.5" of ground clearance at the torsion bars and 7" of ground clearance at the rear front spring frame rails...

Dropping the 3rd picture by 2-3 inches might be too much... surprisingly enough the front at 24.5" is only .5" higher than the G-force Demon.

johnparts -- I bet if you check your Dart's frame rail to ground dimensions they are really close to my Demon listed above... keep in mind that the darts have a much lower rear wheel opening than a Demon... just compare the body lines to the top of the rear wheel opening and you will see what I mean. I bet's there is a 2" difference in wheel opening compared to the body lines from a dart to demon on the rear.

yeah I bet you are right. I'm so close to my frame with my lower control arms I need to cut the frame to get my front end where I want it.

I was thinking the same thing when I was adjusting my ride height today. I figure with 5.5" of ride height at the torsion bars I am going to have to tuck the exhaust into the frame as well. I'm hoping though that with an Alt K front end I will not have to section the front frame to get my ride height which I shouldn't

Demon
I have gone down the same road, and the offset was an issue with a stock length rear axle. I am running 315ZR17 on the 17"x10.5" bullits with everything set my ground clearance is 4.5" at the frame rails. However the coil-overs are at the lowest hole on the lower supports I can always raise the car twice by 1.5" increments.
I would love to run the 335 KDWs but I don't know if they will mount on the 18x10s. According to BF Goodrich the rim width range is 11.5"-12.5"
The Bullit rims 18"offset is actually .7" greater than the 17" that I have.
the pic is at ride height, your look should be close.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo154.jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 179
Demon
I have gone down the same road, and the offset was an issue with a stock length rear axle. I am running 315ZR17 on the 17"x10.5" bullits with everything set my ground clearance is 4.5" at the frame rails. However the coil-overs are at the lowest hole on the lower supports I can always raise the car twice by 1.5" increments.
I would love to run the 335 KDWs but I don't know if they will mount on the 18x10s. According to BF Goodrich the rim width range is 11.5"-12.5"
The Bullit rims 18"offset is actually .7" greater than the 17" that I have.
the pic is at ride height, your look should be close.
Andrew

Andrew -- Your right the 335 KDw's will not mount to a 10.5x17 rim. You need to run the 11.5-12.5 rim. That's why i had to toss out the idea of running a set of the Bullet rims... Instead i will be running a set of Billet Specialties 18x12 Mag G wheels. These will mount up nice to the 335 KDW tire. The mock up wood wheels in my pics about are based on the dimensions of the 335 on a 12" wheel. They fit good. and the nice part is I can order the BS in a wide range.... So there is a good chance I will not have to cut my stock a body housing down to work. (We will see thou) Derek

Andrew -- Your right the 335 KDw's will not mount to a 10.5x17 rim. You need to run the 11.5-12.5 rim. That's why i had to toss out the idea of running a set of the Bullet rims... Instead i will be running a set of Billet Specialties 18x12 Mag G wheels. These will mount up nice to the 335 KDW tire. The mock up wood wheels in my pics about are based on the dimensions of the 335 on a 12" wheel. They fit good. and the nice part is I can order the BS in a wide range.... So there is a good chance I will not have to cut my stock a body housing down to work. (We will see thou) Derek

We did 18x12's. I can check for a price if ya want on Monday.

Attachments

• Project CCR 040.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 194
  • Project CCR 037.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 187
A quick update.
I went to the Tire shop I always use, and asked them if the 18"335s would mount to a 10"x 18" rim. The owner told me his brother runs that exact combo on the rear of his Vet. He told me that while there is no latitude in using different diameters of wheel and rim the width guidelines do have latitude.
Rev im interested in the price as well
Andrew

I'll check out price and what not tomorrow. I'm in the back shop building stuff and don't get into the front office shennanigans much.

I already checked and American TT M's don't come in 18x12 either -- So regardless I am stuck with either widening the Bullit wheels or the American TT M's to get them to the 18x12 that I need. Since I have to widen them I can have the wheel shop set the back spacing at what ever I want. I am also waiting to hear back from COY's on a custom set of C-5's --- Figure by the time I buy rims, have them widened, then have the refinished to look right, I am going to have some coin in the rims so I am just trying to work out the most cost effective way of doing them.

I hear ya. I'm trying to nail the boss down on a price. The deal with going to a 12" wide rim is that nobody makes a hoop that wide. You have to take two hoops cut them apart and make a 12" wide hoop. I've been on him, but he gets sidetracked easily.

Rev -- The only folks I know who are doing a 18x12 close to to Bullit is Billet Specialties.... expensive yes, but you can get any custom back space you need.

Rev -- The only folks I know who are doing a 18x12 close to to Bullit is Billet Specialties.... expensive yes, but you can get any custom back space you need.

Yeah, but they still have to use two hoops to make a 12" wide rim.

granted, but at least they are willing to do it. . . unless someone jumps on the band wagon and starts make 18x12's soon (by march when I get my tax refund check) I will be going that route now that my ride height is set and I can proceed over the next month with getting my 4 link installed (thanks Al) and back space measuring.

Did I mention that I am digging your mock up wheels? LOL.

LOL - Thanks Rev..... It got me close enough to set the ride height and determine the rear tires I want to use will fit. nice part was they only cost me a little time and (3) sheets of plywood....that beats $1000 per corner any day of the week!!

Geez, you sound like one of them guys that likes other things in life.
Like.....
Food.
Shelter.
Heat.......

LMAO -- Well if I was in sunny So. Cali like you instead of cold snowy western PA then i could get by on just liking Food....but we need the shelter and the heat this time of year. hence why tax refund will be spent on the cars, LOL by that time the coldest stuff will be in my rear view mirror for a few month.

Dude, I'm so hearing you. It's like a killer 58 right now...

-
Back