How do you install hood springs correctly?

-

DusterDaddy

sledgehammer mechanic
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
My Car was in 600 pieces when I bought it. The PO took the hood off this car and used it on a drag car, so mine didn't have a hood when I got it.

The passenger side hood spring was in place but the hinge was off the pin on the end of the firewall. I put the hinge on the pin and tried to pull the hinge down by hand and couldn't move it. I assume with 4 feet more leverage and the weight of the hood it will function as it should, but I couldn't budge it.

On the driver side the hinge was dangling and the spring was in the trunk in a cardboard box.

How do you properly put tension on the spring and install it without accidentally amputating any fingers?=P~

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    128.8 KB · Views: 196
  • photo 2.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 144
Rotate that driver side spring 180* on the pin (hook will be pointing towards the front) then grab the end with a big pair of channel locks or vice-grips and pull it around counter clockwise (just under 1/2 turn) till you can hook it on the stud.

Once installed, it is very difficult to push the hinge down by hand. The hood will give you the needed leverage.

-
Back