How do you like your 340s ?

-

17remfan

Reaction score
Hello again .I wanted to ask some of you that have 340s,how well you like them . Are you happy with the performance ?Do they run well with the current pump gas these days ? Anything you would like to add here would be great thanks .

I've had my 70 340 Swinger for 23 years and I love it. I've been into Mopars for over 25 years, I've had Hemi's, big blocks, six packs, you name it, I had it. The 340 is by far my favorite. Daily driver, weekend cruiser, drag car...it has it all.

I like mine with a little stroke (3.58)=372c.i.d dynoed at 452hp.Makes for alot of fun with a 4 speed behind it.Hang on!!

Not so happy with mine, should have put the 440 in it that I had

If you don't have one now, get a stroker, if you got it they are really good engines, mine just had a problem and the wrong people involved in the build originally

..i luv em..had a 68 S cuda,70 aar cuda,gts dart..and currently a 72 duster 340..versitile motor and revs like mad..slight tweaking and over 400 hp..how can you hate that?

No complaints here. I'm on my third 340 car. They're a high winding, fun and very streetable engine.

The 340 in my cuda is my first but I love it. Very streetable,easy to tune & receptive to mods. especially head work. With 10.5 to 1 compression mine still runs fine on 93 octane pump gas.

Oldschoolcuda

My everyday driver in High School was a 383 4 speed 69 Roadrunner. After a while I stepped up to a 440 with headers, cam, eddy intake and big Holley. I loved that car and drive it like that daily for another 5 or 6 years until it started to rust away. After I sold it I found a 69 340 Barracuda Notch. Before I got it, I was of the mindset that it was an economy car. Also, I didnt like the distributor being in the back (still used points).

To make a long story short, the 340 car was 100% stock and only 1 sec. slower than the 440. I'm on my 3rd 340 since. I really like the 340s! I also like that 340s only came as a hi-performance motor, never as a 2 bbl or in anything other than a performance car. My current 340 was just rebuilt with a forged 4" stroker kit. Getting it together now and cant wait to see how it runs.

They are probably one of the best street and strip motors in a light A-body. High winding and plenty of power with mods. Easy 400 horse motor. I love it. If I had the money next would be a 416 stroker. I surprised a lot of big blocks at the track. They thought I had a 440 in it.

Fred B

..........340s r the best all round motor there is . it will hold its own while up against most anything...I have owned 6, and built approx 20, from stok, mild to wild............kim..........

Then im sure ill be happy with the one I just bought :) . Went to see it this morning ,took me about 30 seconds to say Ill take it I have to say ,I scored this time around .

Then im sure ill be happy with the one I just bought :) . Went to see it this morning ,took me about 30 seconds to say Ill take it I have to say ,I scored this time around .

Congrats:cheers: You know we are going to need to see some pics when you get it home.

Thanks for the photos and the video clip . It helps to ease the wait until my car arrives home later this week. I have been very impressed with everyones Mopars here. Its easy to see you really take care of them and they give you joy right back.I could have had some new pics but guess who forgot to bring the camera along ?..... Kick here:bootysha:

I just got my 2009 Challenger SRT8 6.1 Hemi 6 speed, awsome car but I have more fun in my 71 scamp 340 4 speed 4:10 rear. Sounds crazy but something about it makes it worth all the work I put in it. But when I finish my 71 Demon 5.7 hemi I guess I will be totally confused.

My 340 dart GTS will be showing up today.Needless to say, Im pretty excited about it .I really like those Demons to.Wouldnt that make a great ride with a 5.7 in there.

Well your true love is showing up on Valentine,s day!!Isn,t that sweet,your never gonna forget her now!!LOL!!PICS.please!

That's cute. I wanna be in the 340 club one day. Now I just gotta get a car that had one that year... I aint tossing one in my all original 67

MadMax - I had one of those 67's - same as yours - they made like 947 optioned that way, hang onto it.

100_0735 (Small).JPG

Mine was an all-original '69 engine. It had 360 heads on it though, heads didn't come with the engine. I could almost run it on 93 octane, but not really. It knocked and pinged like crazy. I dialed back the spark advance, but it didn't help that much. Why I had trouble, and it seems nobody else did, who knows? A wilder cam would have helped by lowering cylinder pressure.

Anyway, it ran great otherwise.

Now it has Eddy heads, a hydraulic roller, and some other goodies. It still runs the 3-5/16 stock crank, but it now makes 460 HP on pump gas. No ping. I have yet to drive it, but I already love it.

Sweet sweet music (well, if you have Quicktime installed): http://www.thesandmshop.com/media/Dirtbag340.mp4

-
Back