How do you remove the gas filler tube ?

-

pauls340

Reaction score
I want to remove this and re-install it the proper way. Looks like u just remove the 3 screws under the gas cap, remove the rubber seal in the trunk and will it slide out without dumping fuel from the tank? Any tips are appreciated. pm me please.

Hopefully the gas is below the rubber seal in the tank. If it is, nothing can spill.
Take the 3 screws out.
Leave the seal in the tank.
Spray some WD-40 around the seal and tube.
Push the tube into the tank a couple inches (this gets the seal and tube lubbed).
Start pulling it out, but as your doing it, spin the tube so the end faces the upper corner of the trunk.
Pull it out.
Done

To install reverse the order. WD-40 is the key.

Yes, remove the three screws. There are actually two "seals" for the tube. There is the flat one that is more of a dust shield that you'll want to remove from the trunk floor, and then a grommet that is actually in the opening of the tank. You'll be able to slide it out like Johnny described.

You can still buy the actual fuel seal grommet from the dealer.

I have always had to drop the tank, not all the way just loosen the strap and let it go down a few inches.

Put a box or floor jack under it.

It's a lot easier to take the tank off the tube first, if you're in no hurry. Once the tank is loose and on it's way down a long 4X4 between the tank and car will push the tank off leaving the tube hanging from the mounting screws. I place the timber between the front corner of the tank seam and leaf spring. Working from behind the car I'll fall on my butt when the tube lets go. LOL

If it's in there now what's wrong with it? There aren't too many ways to have this in there.

I just put mine back together a while back and lubing the filler tube is a huge help.

I believe you have the wrong cap then. To the best of my knowledge every filler tube mounted from behind the quarter.

Just did mine last week and used trapster's and redfish's method with wd40. Replaced tank with tube and sending unit in about 20-30 minutes. Two men makes it easier and faster.

Bought a fuel cell and mounted it in the trunk many years ago. Still have the filler tube for looks but that's it. Now I can pull into the pump from any direction and also do not have to worry about any fuel spilling on the paint. And I do not need a sending unit as I can monitor the level in the cell by just removing the cap and peeking in the hole. No need for a locking gas cap either.

Bought a fuel cell and mounted it in the trunk many years ago. Still have the filler tube for looks but that's it. Now I can pull into the pump from any direction and also do not have to worry about any fuel spilling on the paint. And I do not need a sending unit as I can monitor the level in the cell by just removing the cap and peeking in the hole. No need for a locking gas cap either.

And this helps, how?

Go to Ace Hardware, buy Slick Stuff. Hose it down. then, while a buddy has a rope around the neck, and is pulling; put a pipe wrench on it and twist both ways. It is more fun to re-install it.

When you go back together with it. Paint some ainti seize on the area of the filler neck where the seal goes. It will never freeze up on the neck again and be easy to remove if you ever have to do it again.

I want to remove this and re-install it the proper way. Looks like u just remove the 3 screws under the gas cap, remove the rubber seal in the trunk and will it slide out without dumping fuel from the tank? Any tips are appreciated. pm me please.

Hey Paul,
Did a little research:
65-71 filler tubes attach to the inside of the quarter panel.
72-76 filler tubes go through the hole of the quarter panel from the outside.

Thanks Johnny, I used you figures and decided to try and remove the tube without dropping the tank. Piece of cake. The cap is the one year only 71 version. thanks

[]Bought a fuel cell and mounted it in the trunk many years ago. [/quote]

Like the man said......but.....mine's functional with a Charger flip open cap on the outside.

Oh, yeah. The 25 gallon cell helps with the range of a BB under the hood.

Attachments

• fuel cell 2.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 127
  • fuel cell 1.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 151
Thanks Johnny, I used you figures and decided to try and remove the tube without dropping the tank. Piece of cake. The cap is the one year only 71 version. thanks

Well thats good news, glad we could help.

Now the cap issue is another can of worms I aint gonna open......:thumleft:

-
Back