How do you think he achieved this rear drop?

-

J.B.

Reaction score
I purchased 1” hotchkis drop springs and want that tucked look/stance. Based on hotchis springs others have used have the rear fender seems to be at top tip of tires not really tucked like this photo. How do you think this car photo i enclosed achieved that look? Do i need to add a 1” drop shakle with drop springs to get 2”?

IMG_7315.jpeg

I shared this photo of my old Duster from 20+years ago. It has the same stance.Sorry this is the only photo I have .
This has 2'' drop springs from Eaton Detroit Springs.Shackles are the stock length. The front spring hangers are from Mopar Performance that have 2 position holes to mount the spring eye bolt. This,in the upper hole will give you the drop you are looking for. The front spring hangers are now available from several vendors now.

Mopar Poster 1a.jpg

I shared this photo of my old Duster from 20+years ago. It has the same stance.Sorry this is the only photo I have .
This has 2'' drop springs from Eaton Detroit Springs.Shackles are the stock length. The front spring hangers are from Mopar Performance that have 2 position holes to mount the spring eye bolt. This,in the upper hole will give you the drop you are looking for. The front spring hangers are now available from several vendors now.

View attachment 1716161692
That it 100 percent damn i already ordered the 1” springs

My Hotchkis leaf springs came with a new front hanger that lowers the rear another inch. Did you use that? I know mine is a Swinger, but this is the result of my install.

IMG_1319.jpeg

View attachment 1716161692
I canceled my order and bought the eaton 2” drop springs and mancini racing 2 position spring hanger set thanks

If you had one of the cool years 67-69 you would have that look from the factory.

1000003516.jpg

I purchased 1” hotchkis drop springs and want that tucked look/stance. Based on hotchis springs others have used have the rear fender seems to be at top tip of tires not really tucked like this photo. How do you think this car photo i enclosed achieved that look? Do i need to add a 1” drop shakle with drop springs to get 2”?

View attachment 1716161683
Are those 17's? I cant see how low profile the tires are. Stock springs might get you the look with the right tire. If not, a lowering block used with a set of neww springs will get you there.

Keep in mind that you will need to check your pinion angle and adjust accordingly.

Or you will be posting a new post.

" my car has a vibration"

The problem with just going off a picture on the internet is you don't have a good idea about ANYTHING on the car- not the suspension, not the tire size, nothing.

Here's a walk around video from when the car was still for sale at Gateway Classics. It's been converted to coil overs in the front and has a 6.1 hemi.

Here's the rear suspension though. Based on the number of leafs on those springs, I'd say there's a decent chance those are Hotchkis springs.

Screenshot 2023-11-03 at 4.44.08 PM.png

The other thing is, look at the arch on the spring. It still has some arch to it. That would indicate to me it's using a lowering front hanger. Because that's basically just a "zero arch" spring, which is what the factory springs were.

That car sits a little lower than mine, but, I don't have lowering springs on the back of my car. That's a zero arch AFCO spring on mine, my rear spring slider conversion lowers it a little bit vs the stock shackles. So with a Hotchkis front hanger it would likely sit just as low.

IMG_8847.jpeg

The other thing is, you're going from SS springs to -2 Eatons. The Eatons are a good spring no doubt, but if your car sits too low with them, well, you're pretty much out of luck. If you had a set of -1" springs and it didn't sit quite low enough, you could adjust the height with a small lowering block.

The problem with just going off a picture on the internet is you don't have a good idea about ANYTHING on the car- not the suspension, not the tire size, nothing.

Here's a walk around video from when the car was still for sale at Gateway Classics. It's been converted to coil overs in the front and has a 6.1 hemi.

Here's the rear suspension though. Based on the number of leafs on those springs, I'd say there's a decent chance those are Hotchkis springs.

View attachment 1716161937

The other thing is, look at the arch on the spring. It still has some arch to it. That would indicate to me it's using a lowering front hanger. Because that's basically just a "zero arch" spring, which is what the factory springs were.

That car sits a little lower than mine, but, I don't have lowering springs on the back of my car. That's a zero arch AFCO spring on mine, my rear spring slider conversion lowers it a little bit vs the stock shackles. So with a Hotchkis front hanger it would likely sit just as low.

View attachment 1716161949

The other thing is, you're going from SS springs to -2 Eatons. The Eatons are a good spring no doubt, but if your car sits too low with them, well, you're pretty much out of luck. If you had a set of -1" springs and it didn't sit quite low enough, you could adjust the height with a small lowering block.

Well hopefully i will clinch my cheeks together hoping the -2” setup the other gentleman had that he ran works good. Its a validated test setup so i will run with that and hope for the best. I really appreciate everyone giving feedback it has helped me alot thank you again

Why not go triangulated 4-link with coil overs, and put it at any ride height that you want? You'll only have to spend your money once. Only downside would maybe be having a shop set up, and weld the brackets on the axle housing . I like mine. Don't get a rear swaybar if you want to run a stock type exhaust to the back bumper.

Just load a couple of fat women in the trunk. Done.

Why not go triangulated 4-link with coil overs, and put it at any ride height that you want? You'll only have to spend your money once. Only downside would maybe be having a shop set up, and weld the brackets on the axle housing . I like mine. Don't get a rear swaybar if you want to run a stock type exhaust to the back bumper.
Thats is extremely costly, i am doing a hellwing sway bar, im gonna be running some purple hornies, gonna make use of that nice cam noise

I mean, if you’re going to go that far you should skip the triangulated 4-link and go straight to a parallel 4 link, so you don’t get the limited travel and binding from the triangulated set ups.

Or a 3 link, so you actually have more adjustability, if you’re not pushing big power.

Either way you still have a live axle set up, so unless you go IRS you’re still going to have that limitation.

There have been some really fast Mopars running leaf spring suspension with some minor modifications. And setting the ride height is really just a matter getting springs with the right arch, which is still far less expensive than any of the link rear suspension options.

I agree, but, I did not want to mess around this might be right, that might be right etc. etc. On and on. I' ll just be quiet and let the man make his mistakes, or maybe he'll get lucky.

I agree, but, I did not want to mess around this might be right, that might be right etc. etc. On and on. I' ll just be quiet and let the man make his mistakes, or maybe he'll get lucky.

It’s not a matter a luck. You’ve got some really basic geometry, and a couple of variables. If you can work a tape measure and know how tall your wheels are going to be it’s not that difficult.

Telling the guy to buy a $2,500 suspension that will require skilled installation and welding, just so the ride height is adjustable, is a bit of a cop out don’t you think? Especially telling him “do it his way” and “good luck” like he can’t do what he wants with leaf springs?

The car he posted as an example doesn’t have a 4 link. It appears to have the Hotchkis springs the OP had originally ordered. $500 and basic hand tools to install, mission accomplished.

Tucking the tires has as much to do with the wheels and tires as it does the suspension, and really that’s the information missing in this thread. From there it’s just a tape measure and geometry.

I did not tell him anything, I said why not? I also think his hoping sounds alot like good luck. He's made his choice.
Sorry to the OP, this, this as usual, seems to have gone sideways. I should never have made the suggestion. At my age, not really into lectures. Good luck and hoping that your choices work out to your satisfaction.

It’s not a matter a luck. You’ve got some really basic geometry, and a couple of variables. If you can work a tape measure and know how tall your wheels are going to be it’s not that difficult.

Telling the guy to buy a $2,500 suspension that will require skilled installation and welding, just so the ride height is adjustable, is a bit of a cop out don’t you think? Especially telling him “do it his way” and “good luck” like he can’t do what he wants with leaf springs?

The car he posted as an example doesn’t have a 4 link. It appears to have the Hotchkis springs the OP had originally ordered. $500 and basic hand tools to install, mission accomplished.

Tucking the tires has as much to do with the wheels and tires as it does the suspension, and really that’s the information missing in this thread. From there it’s just a tape measure and geometry.
I thought i put wheel/tires specs @72bluNblu here are the specs 4 wheel discs with the following

Vision Legend 5’s
Front 18”x8.5” - 5.55”BS/+20 offset
Nitto G2 245/40R18

Rear 18”x9.5” 5.72”BS/+12 offset
Nitto G2 275/40R18

-
Back