how do you wire the brake switch

-

71dustar

Reaction score
i have the ez wiring harness and i have one white wire and one orange but dont know how to wire the brake switch. please help.

Most factory Mopar wiring uses a pink wire for the hot feed to the switch and the white wire goes to the turn signal switch. My understanding is that the wires should be marked for what they go to but I guess not neccessarily which end goes where. The orange colored wires usually go to dash and instrument lighting but I have never seen an EZ harness so I don't know what color they use. Might just want to double check you have the right wires to the brake switch if EZ follows Mopar color codes at all. If I am wrong on the wire colors, anyone can feel free to correct me. I may be doing this one day as well and would like to know which colors go where on the EZ harness.

so if there only one hot wire going to the switch and when press the switch grounds to chassis to complete circuit? why does one wire go to the turn signal?

I'm gearing up for an EZ wiring harness install next month, but I haven't got this one completely figured out either. I'd be interested to hear the answer as well, please update us if you figure it out.

i have to say so far everything about this harness has been great. only problems i have had was figuring out mopars harness for wipers and now the brake switch. i do recommend that before you actually crimp and seal the wires, hook up a battery and test it first.

The brake switch feed is hot on one side, the completed circuit continues to the turn signal switch where it connects to the brake light wiring within the turn signal switch itself. That's why the white wire goes to the turn signal switch. The brake light switch does not go to ground anywhere. Again on Mopar wiring, I believe it is a brown and a green wire that runs from the turn signal switch to the brake lights. Most people don't realize the brake lights run through the turn signal switch but that is how it can flash one side while the other side stays on. The circuit gets it's ground back in the brake light bulb socket so the path the circuit takes is hot feed to the brake switch, brake switch closes and feeds the white wire to the turn signal switch, out from the turn signal switch to the brake light bulbs and finally to ground.

If you can take a pic or post what you did with the wiper switch and this brake switch, I'd really appreciate it.

Also, where are you mounting the fuse box? I saw the glovebox mod, but I'm not going to go that route.

thats where i put my fuse box was in the glove box. if you dont care about having the fuse panel seen, i'd mount it where the original one went otherwise id get creative.

If you look at your harness you'll see there is a dark blue wire that says wiper power. Since i took old wiper switch out and put a on/off/on switch i had the wiper power go to that switch and then i had two wires going to the wiper. one wire went to resistor (low) then resistor to wiper and other went straight to wiper (high)

i believe the other two wires that i didn't hook are for the rest control so when the wiper is in motion and you turn the switch off, the wiper wont stop mid run and will come back to rest. i haven't tried it yet but i believe all you need is a 12volt source going to them. the dark blue wire is for the high while the green is for the low. i'll take pictures of the brake switch shortly.

IMG_3032.jpg

If I may ask another question, what are you going to do with the bulkhead connector? I'm planning on making a plate with a rubber grommet to feed the wires though.

even though my car isn't a show car i'm going to try to hide all the wires. i just made a plate today but since i dont have my engine in yet not sure if ill put a hole in the plate. i used the old spring clips to keep it in place. so far the brake switch isn't doing so well. when i hook it up and push it nothing happens but when i put on the left turn signal the left turn signal blinks while the right light is on.

IMG_3034.jpg

Huh. I'm trying to think that one out now. In the meantime, might I ask what you did with this orange third brake wire?

Also, I'd be interested in where you're running these backup power and left backup wires. My guess is transmission.

orange brake power goes to the brake switch, which i have to figure out. for some reason when the brake switch is pressed the right light goes out. i haven't gotten to the backup power and left backup but i'm assuming like you goes to transmission.

I'm thinking that you have to run that orange "Brake Switch Power" wire to the brake switch. From there the white "Brake Switch" wire goes back to the fuse panel where it just loops to the column set. There it ties into the white wire on the turn signal harness.

Where the orange "Third Brake" joins in, I don't think it's required. I think it's just there if you have a brake light in your spoiler/rear window.

yes the third brake is only if you have a third brake. how far are you from trying the brake switch? i might have to get a new turn signal mechanism because with all wires hooked up, my brake lights are on when i use the turn signal and if i push the brake switch they go out.

ALso that white wire for brake switch doesn't go to fuse panel. its just looped in the wiring but if you trace or pull it out it has one end for brake switch and other for column.

so i figure out that my brake switch might be bad since it is allowing 12v through the switch when brakes are not applied causing my brake lights to come one and when i press the switch it cuts the power. so i'm going to see if i can get a new switch that allows power to go through when i press it and cuts the power when switch is not pressed. the orange and white wire doesn't matter which terminal they go on.

this is a straight forward hook up if there is no issues.

I haven't even begun taking the old wires out. I'm planning on starting May 2 at the latest.

It sounds like there may be a short in the turn signal switch. Have you had it out to inspect it?

-
Back