How does this happen and how do I remove them

-

williaml

Reaction score
Bought new ones. Do you think the previous owner drove around with the defrosters on, and in turn discolored the dash. I ordered replacement paint and also wanted to know how I remove the old ones?

As always Thanks to all who look and respond.

vent.jpg (56.1 KB)

Attachments

• vent.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 416
remove hose under dash. two nuts hold the vent in place remove then and push up on the vent

I don't think that came from using the defrosters. There is no way that should discolor them like that. Any evidence of an engine fire? Maybe some other smoke cloud was driven through with the defroster on?? L8r

There are actually 3 speed nuts holding each vent in place. You'll need to remove whatever parts are in the way of gaining access to them including possibly: hoses, radio, glove box insert, heater controls, etc. You'll need a real thin wall, deep socket for the nuts. Keep the bandaids handy as everything up inside the dash is made of razor blades!

Cudaman, you are so "right". 3 speed nuts which aren't speedy at all in removing. What a pain in the ***. I have removed 5 out of the 6 nuts. The last one is giving me a fit. I looked at the underside of the dash and it is clean. Some one either ran the defrosters all the time or restricted the air flow to make the dash discolor.

Thanks

Look's more like spray paint to me with the overspray on the trim at the bottom of the windshield

Look's more like spray paint to me with the overspray on the trim at the bottom of the windshield

X2

Probably just a little Budweiser engineering was applied to them one day.

I don't know as it was like that when I bought the car. I have new ones coming and bought matching original paint for the dash. Just a pain in the butt getting them off.

Those nuts cut their own threads in the plastic. They tend to strip their threads too. Sometimes pushing the vent upward while turning the nut will help get it moving again.
Just FYI, the vents are left hand and right hand. They wont lay in the dash correctly if switched positions.

Yes you are correct left and right vents. Well I hope the new ones that I order hopefully they changed the way these screw up, probably not though.

Cudaman, you are so "right". 3 speed nuts which aren't speedy at all in removing. What a pain in the ***. I have removed 5 out of the 6 nuts. The last one is giving me a fit. I looked at the underside of the dash and it is clean. Some one either ran the defrosters all the time or restricted the air flow to make the dash discolor.

Thanks
As 66SBARRACUDA said, just break the old one out. On the '66 and earlier ones, they're the same right and left but they can warp a little with age so sometimes a used one will fit a little better on one side than the other. I agree with waggin that it looks like they were spray painted....probably in hopes of preventing them from crumbling further.

-
Back