How dumb is PEP BOYS!

-

joesnow

Reaction score
Local cruise night at the Dairy queen and pepboys parking lot tonight. The manager of Pepboys calls the cops! He complains some of the cars are in the way of customer parking and wants them moved. So 2 cops show up and make a dozen car move or leave. I guess car people that go to a cruise don't ever buy parts from auto stores??
I hear a manager did the same thing a couple years ago. He was fired the next day. I guess we will see.

In the battle of Ego vs. Common Sense, usually Ego wins out........... what was that manager thinking by kicking out potential customers??

what an idiot......he probably doesn't even no what a spark plug is....and where does it go....I love that question when I call those places

The proper way to do things.
If a car club is to hold a show of any size,they contact and talk to the people that own the parking lot,get permission and conduct them selves correctly.
If a manager has a problem with the crowd,its a simple deal to walk out and ask the group of car people that he wants them to have a great time and enjoy them selfs and please leave room up front so customers can come in and buy what they need and the car people are welcome to.
The owner/manager can use cones to block off a area to allow drive in customers to have open parking to get there parts.
last thing you want is to piss off 50-100 parts buying people from a place that sells parts to car people,the $$$& cents of that is just a bit off the wall.
If some of the car people are being assholes,and are trying to show how big of a asshole they are,the manager is in full right to call the cops,mrmopartech

In the battle of Ego vs. Common Sense, usually Ego wins out........... what was that manager thinking by kicking out potential customers??

:-\" Sometimes, ya just gotta wonder. Maybe under stress?

Morning Joe. Your note came down on my google alerts and I wanted to reach out to you and find out which store your were near. You are absolutely correct! I am the SVP of our stores and can assure you we LOVE having car clubs not only near our stores but in our parking lots! I'll get involved once I hear back from you. Sorry for the actions of one, that is not the intent of most of my team. Please email me back so we can discuss. Thanks!

I belong to a small car club (about 40 or so members).We held our cruise nights at a small strip mall (about 12 stores) in our neighborhood with the consent of the property owner. one store owner kept complaining about the parking lot being to full on thursday nights for his customers to park, even though his store was basically empty all the time. We ended up leaving there because he made it unbareable for us and our participants...much to the dismay of the other business owners. We have since outgrown two other lots and are now in a bigger one. Anyone in cenyral jersey come check us out. www.edisonlightcruisers.com

If this is a legit response from Pep Boys, I am impressed with them getting involved....

I wish there was a pep boys closer to my home....The nearest ones to me are about 20 minutes away and I have to brave lots of mall traffic to get to them.....

Local cruise night at the Dairy queen and pepboys parking lot tonight. The manager of Pepboys calls the cops! He complains some of the cars are in the way of customer parking and wants them moved. So 2 cops show up and make a dozen car move or leave. I guess car people that go to a cruise don't ever buy parts from auto stores??
I hear a manager did the same thing a couple years ago. He was fired the next day. I guess we will see.

same thing happened at a local tire place here. if the show cars are in the customers way then i can see the problem. but he could have asked the car owners to move their cars instead of calling the cops. unless he did ask and got attitude from the car owners.

Years back the car club I was in used the Sam's Club parking lot and they welcomed us. The Steak & Shake next had a young female manager that came in the middle of summer and didn't like the car people coming in using the restroom.

I knew the district manager and her store was one of the BEST in the Indianapolis area with fantastic friday nights.

If you went in with a car shirt on your service sucked.

Well October came and the cars were put away for the winter, sales dropped and she seen then that the Car People were a big business for her store. The next spring she bent over backwards with discounts and donations for the car shows to welcome us back.

Sometime the businesses cannot see the benefits until it is gone.

The club has been having cruises there for over 10 years with permission. Instead of pissing off people why not join in with them in some way. You are looking at a free open house event, make use of it. Pep boys needs a real car guy to take back the store. I have watched the store for years. They just don't seem to know what direction to go.

I was there too, the cops were chasing people out and pep boys was closing in 30 minutes. Within minutes of the cops leaving there were other people in the exact same spots. This was in Quakertown PA.

If Bill is for real, I am also impressed. I must admit I used to go only to PepBoys but after a couple of years of always having to search the store to find the parts guy and then search the store to find the cashier I started going somewhere else. The service dept trying to tell my wife she needed a part we had replaced a couple of weeks earlier didn't help much either. They tried to rip her off and didn't realize she knows more about cars than the average guy and she ripped them a new one.

I spend alot of money in parts stores and I really hate it when you are standing right there and they answer phone calls and make you wait. I have actually left the store because of this and gone next door to Auto Moan.

I don't care where I go to get parts. I just want to talk to someone that knows a little about cars. THAT is what gets my repeat business. the personality behind the counter not the name on the store.

Bill, you sound just like the guy they need. Thank you for following through.

On May 5 we are starting a new cruise-in night at a local Kroger parking lot. The out lots have a B-dubs and an Advance Auto parts. Kroger is providing access to the large lot in front of their store, both Advance Auto and B-dubs are sponsoring trophies for the shows as well as door prizes and other promotions. All I did is get Kroger to allow the use of the lot and the other two stores were approached with the advertising/marketing side of things to get them to sponsor part of the show. Now I know a lot of people can care less about a trophy and others live only to go a show to get one, to each their own. Whichever type of person shows up it means more cars and more fun for all attending. I can't believe a car parts store would run off not only current customers but potential ones too. Since Jegs is in the same town, they donate hats and bumper stickers to everyone who asks. Its gotten to the point we can't give Jegs hats away because everyone already has at least 2 or more.

I love it when the auto stores tell me you have to come into the store, and pay for it then they will order it. Then just come back 3 days later when it is in. I sometimes tell them if I have to pay to order it summit, or jegs will drop it just outside my door. Thanks anyway.

I dont see the logic in harrassing some poor guy stuck behind a counter. Send an email to corporate or whatever but why be rude to someone beating out a meager existence. jmho

I always try to be nice to the working person. But when you take on a mangager role you now get some heat. The manager is the one to take the complaints to the regional rep.

-
Back