How far East?

-

newby

Reaction score
I've lived in Victoria B.C. all 44 years of my life. I am considering a major move and would appreciate any info on real estate prices,state of the economy and job leads from the east coast. I am a journy man finish carpenter and have run my own company for the last 7yrs. Let me know where you are on the east coast.Thanks in advance.:newb:

FAR EAST MAYBE iM THE WINNER

take a look on google map and try to find

Rimouski Qc,
Im 1/2 hour east of that

Ottawa, Ontario. Economy good, Homes average price is $375. plus...gas 1.14 per litre (today), Don't based your decision on my stats, but in general things are moving. Oh and snow

Ottawa, Ontario. Economy good, Homes average price is $375. plus...gas 1.14 per litre (today), Don't based your decision on my stats, but in general things are moving. Oh and snow
Sorry about the snow I'm sure ours is coming soon. Thanksfor the input.

FAR EAST MAYBE iM THE WINNER

take a look on google map and try to find

Rimouski Qc,
Im 1/2 hour east of that

Not even close LOL, I'm just moved from Toronto to Conception Bay South in Newfoundland, just 20 minutes outside of St.John's (most eastern tip of Canada).

The economy here in NF has been climbing steadily ever since they discovered oil out here. Housing prices have more than doubled in the last 6 years and won't stop any time soon. The island economy is a bit sheltered from what is going on on the mainland and as a province it has done great through the last recession.

I couldn't say how easy it would be for you to find work or start your own company but the city of st.john's and surrounding area on the avalon is definitely growing, lots of houses going up.

House pricing starts around $200.000 - $250.000 for a nice sized house but can go up quickly if you are looking for a place downtown. Check out the website http://www.mls.ca all the latest home listings are on it for all of Canada.

The Island is absolutely stunning but you have to enjoy the outdoors :) the weather can be pretty serious since we are right on the Atlantic. I have been here for just over 2 months now and so far it has been brilliant.

The classic car scene here is pretty good, lots of cars around and they are all in pristine shape (i expected to see more rust buckets LOL). Parts are way more expensive since they have to ship it in.

Send me a PM if you have any questions.

hello from pei there is some work here most of the trades people here go to alberta to w ork so there is work but the pay would not be as high as u are used to my pick would be nfld there is going to be a boom there with all the oil and diamonds and where there is oil they need houses built probally alot of them and the people are great and the place is beautifull the weather is a diff story tho but my opinion dont mean much hope you find a good place

hello from pei there is some work here most of the trades people here go to alberta to w ork so there is work but the pay would not be as high as u are used to my pick would be nfld there is going to be a boom there with all the oil and diamonds and where there is oil they need houses built probally alot of them and the people are great and the place is beautifull the weather is a diff story tho but my opinion dont mean much hope you find a good place
When you say the weather is a different story how bad is it and for how long?

from sou west Nova - are you looking at setting up your own business or working as a carpenter for someone else - its not my business but why the east coast - dont get me wrong - I LOVE IT HERE

from sou west Nova - are you looking at setting up your own business or working as a carpenter for someone else - its not my business but why the east coast - dont get me wrong - I LOVE IT HERE
I don't want to step on toes in a new town so working for someone would be how I would start out. Lived here all my life and without getting into the details bin through a divorce 4 teenagers and the cost of living here,it's time for a change of pace. Want to be where there still is a feeling of family and true freindships. Sick of people riding my coat-tails.

new home construction and renovations are still quite strong around metro Halifax and command the higher wages but housing prices reflect it.

the farther from the city you travel (towards south shore especially)the wages decrease but so does housing prices - sowhatever your preference is. my father did finish carpenty/furniture/carving during 60's - 80's but never made much money back then, not alot of call for it - especially now that anyone that can do this specialized work wants coin for it.

he did alot of finish work for new construction fishing and pleasure boats around the Cape Sable Island area - not as big now but it still goes on - it's hard to find a good finish tradesman - i do it as a hobby to try to carry on a tradition

good luck man - excellent part of canada to live:finga:

Not sure what it's like there but getting very difficult to find a quilified tradesman here. So many self proclaimed experts. Good tradesmen are always busy and make an honest living. Like you said ,don't get rich doing it. Might fly out during Xmas break and have a look around. What's with the double bird salute?:finga:

Not sure what it's like there but getting very difficult to find a quilified tradesman here. So many self proclaimed experts. Good tradesmen are always busy and make an honest living. Like you said ,don't get rich doing it. Might fly out during Xmas break and have a look around. What's with the double bird salute?:finga:

holy **** newby im sorry its gettin late here my eyes are heavy - my mistake i meant :cheers:

i'm in south east new brunswick myself... been here all my life! i love it down here,theres always jobs up 4 grabs and its more of a relaxed atmosphere around here versus other parts of canada,so i've been told anyways.the houses are also reasonably priced too.the only downfall is trying to find rust free sheetmetal! if you move down this way bring some with you lol

-
Back