How far should clutch fork move???

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
Once you take the freeplay out of the clutch fork.How far should the clutch fork move?Mine moves 1 inch.Is this enough?I have a brand new ram clutch.I have a 383 and TTI's so I had to use a Hyd. clutch.
I have to put in some new U joints in.Then I guess I can get the car off the jack stands and see if it will move.If it moves it will be the first time since it has moved on its own power since 1995.
Thanks,Jim

You are supposed to have approx 1/4" of free play between the throwout bearing and the fingers on the pressure plate. With the pedal to the floor there should be approx 0.050" of clearance between the disk and the flywheel or pressure plate (the disk is against one or the other).

I have a old Lakewood bellhousing.There is no opening at the bottom like a stock one.So you can't see the clutch disk or anything.I guess you have to adjust the clutch by the feel of it.As far as moving on its own power.I just finised the driveshaft.Big U joint on the drive shaft and small yoke on the rear end.So I am going to have to pick up a big yoke at the Nats.Bummer I wanted to drive it around the block on open headers this weekend.Damn I'm so close.
Thanks,Jim

Hi Ijust ordered the bellhousing.did you have any problems?Was your installation a breeze?Id just like your imput before I start.Thanks:read2:

-
Back