How fast are Grand Nationals>

-
Yes...they were, but 1981 wasn't exactly a pinnacle for performance. Intentions were good, but the technology wasn't there yet. Even the GNX in '87 was barely scratching the surface of turbo technology.

I don't think they were talking about early 80s garbage 301s.
Pontiac did a special partial year, limited edition run of Buick turbo six powered Firebirds around 89 or so. I believe they had to use the front wheel drive chassis cylinder heads to fit them in the Firebird chassis. These heads were said to be not nearly as good as the rear wheel drive pieces and limited the car's potential somewhat.

I don't think they were talking about early 80s garbage 301s.
Pontiac did a special partial year, limited edition run of Buick turbo six powered Firebirds around 89 or so. I believe they had to use the front wheel drive chassis cylinder heads to fit them in the Firebird chassis. These heads were said to be not nearly as good as the rear wheel drive pieces and limited the car's potential somewhat.

reread 440Ken's post. He is referring to the 1980-1981 Turbo T/A. those were 4.9 Turbo V8's and not the GN motors in the '89 Anniversary T/A models.

On a side note, the '89 Turbo Anniversary edition Trans Am with the GN motor still knocked off a 13.9 quarter mile.

-
Back