How foolish would these look?

-

pharmboy

Reaction score
I decided while I was doing everything else to make my 68 Dart more driveable, I might as well improve visibility while I was at it, and upgrade to halogen lamps. I do plan on using a pair of relays for the high/low beams. I was just wondering how these conversion lamps would look? The grille on my car is most ly blacked out already, and I think it wouldn't look bad, personally. But, I've been accused and found guilty of having bad taste on more than one occasion. I'd also like to use the built-in 'city lamps' in the headlight capsules for parking lamps, and replace the parking lamps in the grille with a pair of fog/driving lamps. Any thoughts on this, word of warning/advice?

blackprojector.jpg

Screw foolish, if they light up the road better, use'em! Goodys got cuda did something similar with his E body and while the lens look is different, he loves the brightness over the dim driving lights of the OE lights.

Better to see at night. Thats a win win!

jmetz1969, welcome aboard. I agree with ya.

It would be foolish to worry what someone else thinks. if you like it do it. different is what makes our hobby interesting. Otherwise we could all drive kias

A few weeks ago I almost hit a good size deer coming home from a cruise nite.The first thing I did was up grade the headlights. Which would look more foolish a wrecked front end or non stock headlights?

check out hella black magic. been thinking about doing this too where the backing is black to hide the lights more with a black grill.

i like em too! should give it a more modern and custom look, plus you cant go wrong with better lighting with all the morons on the road these days.

pharmboy and spaz, what brands are those lights? they look good to me. I have the relays to upgrade my lights, but i haven't gotten any new lights yet. I like the way those look.

thanks

Steve

I found them on ebay when I was searching for "H4 Conversion"...With the travel, I figure I can get a wiring harness put together with the relays, and have it ready to plug and play in about a half-hour...maybe even work out the driving/fog lights for the parking lamps.

I dunno what kind spaz is using, but those tri-bar blue dot lamps look awesome. Here's a link to another set for sale...$31.99 shipped wasn't a bad deal, I think...includes the bulbs.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/7-H6...025QQitemZ380056182589QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

Also, seller 'robbob36' on there has some mighty fine deals on NOS carburetors. I got a pair of 2bbl sequentials for $150 shipped.

Yeah I've installed those too, except for the extra little blue light type. Thats a whole heck of a lot of work to replace a bulb in a bulb. The bulb sockets included there are crap too.

Yeah I've installed those too, except for the extra little blue light type. Thats a whole heck of a lot of work to replace a bulb in a bulb. The bulb sockets included there are crap too.

These lights were in my BIL"S Porsche for a couple years and they still work great!
They are about ten years old believe it or not, and yes redfish, they are a pain in the rear to change a bulb and they don't give you much wiring to work with near the light itself because they have about three short pigtails and a bulky square relay too close to the light, but the finished results are worth it.

He has ran these bulbs for years with ZERO issues so hopefully they will last me a long time too, and I do have two spare bulbs still in the box.

The other thing I like about these lights is that they don't blind other drivers if you adjust them right, but I don't plan on doing too much driving at night with my car anyways.
It was one of those cool factor things that I just had to do.

Would anyone here know the center to center spacing of the headlamps and parking lamps on a 68 Dart? I figure while I'm away from home, I may as well start putting together that wiring harness for the new headlights.

I don't like those lights - for functional, rather than aesthetic, reasons. The tiny reflector size would make it a lot harder to get a good beam pattern and require more precise manufacturing techniques. Given that I can't even figure out if those come from a repuatable brand name, and they cost way less than reputable H4 lamps from companies like Hella or Cibie, I'd have serious doubts about their quality.

-
Back