How hot is hot?

-
Good stuff..I am experiencing a similar issue at stop lights. Once I get moving I get it down to 180, but at a stop light for a few minutes it creeps up to 210-220. I have dual electric fans, and I am going to try and stagger the placing of them to improve coverage. Thanks guys.

Again, the temps don't seem low enough for what you're doing, and the current temps in Phoenix. What other specs on the motor can you share. I would expect it to be able to maintain well under 200. We're not even HOT yet here.

^^^This. That's why I said watch it close. In a couple of weeks it will be ten degrees hotter. I think there is more to this. My Dart will idle for hours in the sun if I let it, and stay cool. And it's over 40 years old and still original.

In the '80's I had built a 383 A-body that would behave similarly, although with engine-driven fan and a 3-core 22" radiator. Temps would sneak up especially on hot D.C. area summer days.

As a test I got the seven-bladed steel fan and a/c water pump pulley (which turns the pump faster) and mounted it rigidly without the viscous coupling. It made a lot of noise and wasted a few hp, but the temp then stayed at 180 like it was nailed there. That told me for sure I did not have enough cooling system. It's been a long time but I think I ended up using a flex fan which was quieter and still kept the temp right on 180.

Keep working it, would be interested to know what fix you come up with.

My list of possibles would certainly include an under driven fan. I eliminated the clutch on my 440 RR And never had a problem. All the power in the world is useless on the side of the highway.

Let me ask a dumb question... how do you guys know the temperature of the coolant? Have you hooked up extra gauges? Are you using a Infrared thermometer?

Hmm im running a 69 340 bored .040 over edelbrock heads and intake about 10:1 comp manual trans with 180 t stat and mine stays around 180/190
3 row coppercore rad, fan shroud and pulley fan
I doubt it being stroked has anything to do with it idk
Autometer guages, sending unit is in intake

Whatever the reading, see if it is stable under various conditions. That will suggest whether the T-stat is regulating and thus not wide open or stuck shut. Then, verify temperature readings. My HF IR gun works suprisingly well. You can also get radiator caps w/ a thermometer built it (ebay).

Did I miss the ignition timing spec.
Retarded timing can put plenty of heat into the cooling system, that would be much more useful to be converted to mechanical energy in the combustion chamber.

-
Back