how long do YOU wait

-

rbkt65

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
on a person that has been advised about shipping, has read/seen your usps quote and you have someone else ready to buy?

There are family emergencies, car accidents, deaths, etc. I used to wait a week or more if necessary........... but you can send them a message and touch base at anytime after a few days??

I asked a guy how much for a console and shifter he sent me a message about on Facebook. He told me a price. I didn't respond right away. 10 minutes later he sends me 5 ?????.... mind you I'm at work. I replied "I'll pass" solely on him being a pushy dink.

If he wants it and has the money-when he reads his e mail or message. That is when he should tell you. Other than that he don’t like the price.

did that yesterday. will give him another 24 hrs, i guess.

Your damn generous, yesterdays gone.. Money in the hand trumps promises in the bush....

Somebody hounding you in ten minutes I'd tell no thanks but I also wouldn't expect someone to hold a part for over twenty four hours... Fact is I think twelve hours is reasonable...

Over on the B bodies site, had two guys inquiring, wanting some parts that i advertised.
Gave a shipping quote to guy number one, and never heard back from him.
I know the time and date he read the reply message.
So i then contacted guy number two, and sold the items to him.
First one that ponies up with payment, gets the parts.

I inquired about a part on here a few weeks ago

As luck would have it, it was on the last day of spring break
the guy got me a shipping quote that evening (i believe) but i got up early the next morning and started home
i guess a day or so was too much for this gent to wait for me, and he started spamming me with "hurry up" PMs and when i woke up the next day (so this is day 2 after the quote) i had a PM waiting telling me he wont ever do business with me ever again
ever

fine, i went out and bought the same part, brand new, from a reputable vendor at a lower price

If you are serious about selling or buying you should be on the spot answering questions and getting shipping estimates. If you don't have the time don't string others along. A seller may have a half dozen prospective buyers while you are dragging your feet.
Sellers should post their ads when they have some time after posting to answer questions. Dropping an ad and disappearing for a couple days isn't good.
Communicate, Communicate, Communicate!! Send those personal messages and CLEAN OUT YOUR INBOX!!!!:BangHead::BangHead::BangHead::lol:

You could always start a “waiting to ship” shelf like I have, to remind you about people not to deal with. Some parts on my shelf have been there for a couple years, all packed and ready to ship. Good thing I don’t need the $$, or I would go back, open the boxes, retake the pics and re-list the items again, and start the whole process over. And yes, there are some very prominent members who have a box there!

"I will take it tried to message you but your inbox is full" I just read this. I see it a dozen times a day easily.

"I will take it tried to message you but your inbox is full" I just read this. I see it a dozen times a day easily.
i wonder how hard it would be to write some code that make it you can not post in the for sale section with a full inbox

i wonder how hard it would be to write some code that make it you can not post in the for sale section with a full inbox
Very interesting???????? What say you toolmanmike??? Sounds like a simple "default"?

Great thinking DIY!!!

on a person that has been advised about shipping, has read/seen your usps quote and you have someone else ready to buy?
I understand that parts listed for sale are for sale until money is exchanged.
If someone asks for a quote and some one else shows up at the front door with cash in hand. The first person to exchange money gets the part.
A request for a shipping quote is not an agreement to purchase. Providing the money is an agreement to purchase.
If the guy that inquired about the shipping quote is suddenly also dealing with an unforeseen emergency, then he should deal with the emergency. After the emergency is resolved then he can resume his shopping.

Very interesting???????? What say you toolmanmike??? Sounds like a simple "default"?

Great thinking DIY!!!
Probably won't happen with this software. You could suggest it to Joey and they may be able to write it into the new software.

I don't sell very many parts, but I send the guy asking about the part the total price including postage and insurance, and at that time ask IF he will let me know as I have others asking also, and the guy that commits is the guy I expect to send me the $$$$$! Simple.
The world is full of wanna be's, tire kickers, and idiots.

12 hours on my opinion is UNREASONABLE. I work 12 hour shifts....but do as you wish as a seller, they are YOUR parts. If it's a valuable piece....good luck, some sneaky greedy prick will snag it behind the scenes anyway lol

I understand that parts listed for sale are for sale until money is exchanged.
If someone asks for a quote and some one else shows up at the front door with cash in hand. The first person to exchange money gets the part.
A request for a shipping quote is not an agreement to purchase. Providing the money is an agreement to purchase.
If the guy that inquired about the shipping quote is suddenly also dealing with an unforeseen emergency, then he should deal with the emergency. After the emergency is resolved then he can resume his shopping.
Price all items "shipped" and wait for the first to deposit the money. Crude but effective on small to med parts with usps flat rate. I'd not attempt to ship a fender anywhere. Headers were about the largest thing i shipped and that was 2 hours of my time packing and driving them to the Greyhound depot. Even that was a **** show as I had to send a map to the receiver on where he could pick them up and he still had to call me from the bus depot to ask where they were. Another call to cpx or whomever the greyhound freight co. Is told me they were still enroute on a later bus....jeez. won't do that. Plenty of local buyers for big stuff for me as I'm in no hurry.

Just send a message saying get back to me in 48 hours or 24 hours whatever you decide or I'm selling it to so and so.

If it's a well regarded member...wait a little longer. **** happens, life is unpredictable and distracting...then the people in the chain that hold things up...ugh..

I been getting the phrase: I’m asking for a friend. Probably 6 or 7 right now. I have 10 things that have been agreed waiting to ship in just the last few months. These are agreed upon deals. But some have been shipped to the next buyer in line after a week with no contact from the ghost. Now I see where some members sell to whomever has the cash in hand rather than the first inline. I have always went down the list of ppl from first contact, but that may change. Kim

Last edited:
I don't ask for a shipping quote very often. I know shipping is stupid, but if I NEED it, I buy it.......Just the way things are. I simply say "ship it the cheapest way with a tracking number, and send me the all in price for payment."

Some people actually ship the Box the part came in new and not put it in another box.

Like old Mopar Performance NOS in the Box... they take it down and have stickers stuck all over for USPS and then they toss it right into the damn truck. The box alone is of value to many.

It never fails on me to notice how some people have excuse after excuse when it comes to buying parts here
Ive never had a problem, not once and ive never strung a seller along.
Ive bought parts here only from known members. I see a part, its what I want, I contact the seller and tell him its sold, I will take it
Not tomorrow, now. I tell him we're I live and to calculate the shipping and I will forward the funds as soon as he gets back to me, as in immediately ....

-
Back