How many CELL phones have you had since your first?

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
To add, when did you get your first one?
In June 1994 I got my first, a Motorolla DPC 550 flip phone. Since then I have probably been through 10 phones. Some got damaged, some just quit working. I don't think that I ever bought a new one to be trendy. I resisted the switch to a "Smart" phone until 2012. That phone has been with me the longest!
I lost a few phones to water damage. Two were lost into the lake in one summer alone! One fell into a cup with ice water in it. One got melted chocolate in the charging port. How about you guys?
modify_inline.gif

7, got my first one in '97 or so. Have only killed one, the rest have just been "oooo I want the cool new _____ feature". The one I did kill related to mopar stuff actually. A nitro burning hemi got it....
Got hired on at JFR in 2006, spent my first weekend at Winternationals. I'm helping another crew guy with something on a dummy short block in the chassis. I can't even remember what it was, clearancing a new diaper maybe? But I lean way over to other side of the motor/chassis where he needs me to hold something. I lean into the exposed head studs and we both hear "crack!" as the phone in my pocket gets destroyed by a wonderful fastener made by the good folks at ARP. A quick lesson I learned was if you're gonna have a cell phone in your pocket, have the screen side towards your body. I bought a (new then) original iphone to replace it. John's funny car ate my last "dumb" phone. It was ok, we won Winternationals that year with Prock/Robert's car so the bonus money made me feel ok about it ;)

I must be lucky with the current one. It has gotten wet a few times and somehow returned from the dead.

first one in 95 - currently on my 6th or 7th - Samsung SGH-A847 - yep, it's a flip phone - and when it quits, I have another one exactly the same that the wife quit using 2 years ago that I will use. People goof on it, but it's cheap and no one is going to hack it.

Probably about 8. I started out 20+ years ago with a Motorola bag phone. Hot stuff back then!

Lost count. First ones in 90's were Motorola/Nextel flip phones for work. At least 4 of them. Then 2-3 Blackberrys. Galaxy, i4, Current is Galaxy S5

I think I'm on my 4th. Cant remember what the first one was. It came unclipped from my belt in a Taxi on a business trip in Chicago. I was alone, and all my contacts were on my phone.
Next was a LG Optimus V, had its 5-6 years, and just about a year ago, I upgraded to a Motorola Moto-G 3rd gen. Love it, great phone, great pictures. I'll probably have it for several years before I upgrade again. I'm not one of those guys who always has to have the latest greatest phone.

The Nokia phone from the early 2000s was bulletproof. Also had that awesome game snake.

I'm not the type to be drawn to the new technology. I'm surprising myself just for considering EFI for my 70 Charger!

1st phone was called a "Telego", had a base unit that hooked to your land line and a wireless handset, when away from the base the handset converted to cell service, the neat thing was if someone called your house the base would forward the call to the cell number. Next was a Nokia, then a LG Flip phone, a Motorola RZR, Moto Droid, Moto Droid 3, Samsung Galaxy S3, currently a Galaxy S5.

-
Back