How many CURRENT owners of real '74 360 Duster 4 speed cars on here?

-
I read it all, interesting thread. funny how these threads can wind up in the " whats its worth " deal!???
it was interesting getting some real info on these cool but overlooked models.
LIKE he said, ANYMORE out there????

I haven't come across any more, but I haven't really been looking, either. My heap has been down for about 18 months due to some electrical issue I can't seem to figure out, so I've been kind of distracted.

I'd like to know if any of the restorations in this thread are complete, and if people listed still own the cars.

Good grief, it's been almost 4 years since I started this thread!

Just registered so I can get my 2 cents in. Bought my '74 360 4spd. car years ago from a guy in Salem Ore. Came from the factory with an 8.25 suregrip rear with 3.55 gears, but I found out that someone either changed the gears or replaced the axle as the speedo was way off. They also took the hard seat heads. Got my work cut out for me. At least the interior is in pretty good shape

Just registered so I can get my 2 cents in. Bought my '74 360 4spd. car years ago from a guy in Salem Ore. Came from the factory with an 8.25 suregrip rear with 3.55 gears, but I found out that someone either changed the gears or replaced the axle as the speedo was way off. They also took the hard seat heads. Got my work cut out for me. At least the interior is in pretty good shape

Sweet! Got any pictures?

Where in Idaho are you located?

Don't have any pics right now, but I'll try to get a pic or two posted in the near future. I'm about 30 miles NW of Boise.

I've got an uncle in Meridian and my father lives outside of Jerome.

Is your car a runner?

It was but not right now. Tore the motor apart 'cause of a bad cam lobe and low compression. Trying to decide whether to rebuild what I have or find a good running used one to throw in it. Short on funds at the moment.

Very nice! Your interior looks like what I think mine might have looked like from the factory.

That would bring the number up to 11 current owners of 1974 Duster 360 4 speed cars here on the board.

1 individual that hasn't posted, so I wont say who he is.
Myself - DionR
oldkimmer
TimS
MrHemi
360Duster4speed
Driven
daniel_depetro
manofmopar340
Moparman1966
poppaweelee

Problem is, it's been over 2 years since the last count and I don't know for certain that all of the individuals listed above still own the car that put them on the list. I would assume Daniel does, and I do, plus poppaweelee. That make 3 on the board that I am certain of. No idea on the rest.

I still have mine. I just wish I had the time to finish this project.
It closely resembles my first car which was a 74 318 TX9 auto which should be the 3rd picture.
-Lou

Attachments

• Shop front 025.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 297
  • P1000315.jpg
    55 KB · Views: 300
  • Scan13.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 317
74 Duster 360 was the best Duster ever built! More torque (longer stroke) than previous Dusters when you calculate for the change in the way they rated power. Ran 14's with a 3.23 gear. Imagine if it had 3.90's like earlier cars. It had a revised and better front suspension, electronic ignition, bigger bolt pattern wheels with disc brakes, and it was safer (steel beams were added in the door) with real seat belts.

The things that you list as making it a superior model were all also standard on the 1973 Duster 340.

The 1973 340 vs 1974 360 HP engine debate could go on forever.

Dan the early 340's made better power. They were not quite as good in 73. Smaller valves less cam. The 360 had larger displacement (longer stroke) and more HP and torque. Better low rpm pull. Remember HP was a "net" rating in 74, and I calculated the numbers. The 360 was on par with the early 340's and made more torque. It's interesting that early dusters get more attention because people think they made more power. They don't. It's they way the engines are rated. Plus you get the other goodies in 74.

I realize the early 340 made more power than each subsequent version.
The performance holy grail often being the 1968 4-speed cars thanks to their slighter hotter camshaft.

The 360 really never made more power than the 340.
The most fair comparison is the 1973 340 vs 1974 360.

Not sure what "calculation(s)" you are performing, but I have to disagree with them.
All things being "equal" and factory stock, there is no way a 1974 360 car will make more power then an early (1968-70) 340.

P.S. The net horsepower ratings started with the 1972 model year vehicles.

There is no comparison between the 73 340 and the 74 360. The 360 made more power. You have to do a little research. As far as the earlier 340, they made 275 HP. I compared HP ratings between the net rated motors and the earlier non net rated motors in dusters. The question is, when rating net, how much HP is lost. Somewhere in the 20-30 HP area. Now add that to the 360's HP of 245 and it takes you back up to around 275. But the 360 made more torque than the early 340's. Remember they did not have eletronic ignition early on either. You can look at old manuels. Even a Chiltons will show (HP #'s) the numbers. I spent the time researching. I love all the mopar small blocks.

Here's my 1974 360 four speed car. Flip down rear seat, restored to original. Numbers matching TX9 TX9 original 3:91 gears with original 8.25". The dyno says 291HP

Beautiful car! Nice dyno numbers as well.
I hate to burst your bubble, but that is the wrong air cleaner and 3.91: 1 gears were not availible.

You are correct, which makes them both wrong. The 1974 360 A-body had its own specific air cleaner. The snorkel is oval shaped, not rectanular.

and this one? [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLJit4L-CWY"]1974 Plymouth 360 Duster - YouTube[/ame]

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQjTN5eVOKM"]RARE 1974 PLYMOUTH DUSTER! HIGH PERFORMANCE 360, 4 SPEED, LOADED! - YouTube[/ame]

-
Back