How many different rears will fit an A-body?

-

thejohnnyguy

Young Gun
Reaction score
I ask because I found a Dana 70 with limited-slip for cheap. Also since I am on a mission to find a rear-end that will hold up to my 318 better than a 7.25" I was wondering what else I could look for... So far I have a few FABO members on my list that have some rears that interest me. But I'de like to find the best deal.

A-body 7.25, 8.25, 8.75 are all bolt in deals.
B-body 8.25, 8.75 will work but you need to move the spring perches in 1 inch and different backspaced wheels/rims

B-body 8.25, 8.75 will work but you need to move the spring perches in 1 inch and different backspaced wheels/rims

Thanks, any hopes of making a 7.25" that can handle some punishment or would that be a waste of time and money? I've seen high performance gears but no indication of how well they hold up... Thanks again!

Just get an 8 1/4 rear.......there plentiful, cheap, and have may gear ratios and sure grip options for them. It'll easily handle the power of a 318.

700th post:cheers:

The only straight "bolt-in" is the same one you have. Anything else will have to be adapted to fit. If you have a SBP 7 1/4, along with the rear end, you will need the bigger u-bolts, shock plates, and a shorter driveshaft to install an 8 1/4 or 8 3/4. If you are also changing to the BBP, you'll need wheels too....and an extra spare unless you've already changed over the front.

-
Back