How many fender tags normally? 71 Demon Newbie....

-

fastmerc

Reaction score
Greetings!
LOTS going on here, so I'll try and keep it simple......

Picked up a 71 Demon 340 via a deceased friend....his old college car.... has very rare "9 horn" option, which I cannot find on the fender tag. BUTT, I did finally find the fender tag today! Thought it was MIA.....nope, just tucked beneath some sort of aftermarket cruise unit.....

Pardon my questions which may have been asked a bazillion times before, but this is my first Mopar ever. Grew up in Chevy country, then switched to Fords when POS Chevys were bringing stupid money. Always liked Mopars, just never got around to buying one until now....shoulda bought the two hemi convertible Challengers I was offered back in the 80's.....but with two kids in diapers and a garage full of car/Harley, and driveway full of Cougars......where ya gonna put two cars that both need a 1/4 panel replaced??? ...woulda paid for the kid's college education and then some today!!! Argh.

OK my question: After running the 4 lines of options I have thru the decoder on another website (stockmopar) I find myself wondering if there is supposed to be another tag with more codes???? I found no codes on the tag which I do have, that mention wheels/hubcaps, brakes, wipers, heater options, lighting, etc....... I thought I had seen examples of two tags..... Mine has the 4 lines of codes and then above is an END on the LH side of the tag, apparently meaning the END of sales codes.

The bottom line has engine code, and proper sequence code, so perhaps this is it?

Then again, the "Economy Trim" package may say a lot by not saying anything?

I did find that the car had the in dash tach, chrome exhaust tips, and hood pins ordered as perhaps not more normal items???

Car was dark blue and I believe had white longitude sport stripes and white transverse stripes, although I am having a hard time recalling what the transverse stripes were. Today it's sorta dark blue with some black paint from something......and some primer or sealer on the top.....it's all bad......

Clutch is MIA. Barely got it out of 1/2" deep ruts today, to move it for some building destruction coming up. Don't need to crush it before I can drive it!!! First thing I want to do when I get it on a hoist is drop that clutch out and see what's left of the flywheel. Not sure how difficult 340 flywheels are to locate....new or nice used.....but something is bad now...!

Looking forward to answers, thanks in advance!!!
Cheers!
Steve
101_8212.jpg

Seems like a basic sleeper car, 340 with 8 speed (4 on the floor and 4 in the trunk!), a true trac dif (not stock) with a bench seat, and likely dog dish caps, no scoops or spoilers. Has rallys on it now....

Car also has manual disc brakes up front.......is this normal or just another way of doing discs with Mopars?

Been around this stuff for a lot of years... 9 horn? Never heard of that one!

The tag will not have every option that was on the car and a 2 tag car for a demon would be extremely rare.

The nine horns were part of the Duke Boy craze. Never a factory option.

crackedback,

Thanks for that tag comment! Makes sense!!! Just wasn't sure "where normal is"......

Had a 70 Cougar for a while with four pages of build sheets! Loaded car, was actually a marketing car for an exec or such.....first two sheets listed all options and had a line for "sent out for sunroof installation", 3 gallons worth of gas..... and when it came back, two new sheets were added on, listing again all the regular options, and then the new sunroof option! Lots of paperwork!

As for the 9 horns... I was surprised also! Like I said, this was his college car.....he was going to engineering school.....and he apparently wanted to be heard when he hit the horn button!!!

I found two horns on the LH side, thought nothing of it....hi and low right? Then I got to looking at this Ford type starter solenoid with some non-stock wiring bits.....and noticed two more horns on the RH side of the radiator. More examination revealed two horns beneath the two LH and again two more below the two RH horns!!! Then there was a 9th horn, looks sorta weenie compared to what may 8 Delco Remy horns..attached to the finder apron, but wiring to this one is not connected. Imagine that.

I'd just go for some late model Fiam's from a Crown Vic. They work and blow like hell!!! Gotta use a horn relay for 'em they draw so much current!

This car also has a remote trunk release, although I doubt it is stock for 71..... It has a pentastar on the plastic cover...but with yellow wrecking yard ink on it, I suspect this was a late model donation to the cause! And I'm thinking he drilled the hole in the dash to mount the button and "TRUNK" bezel.....which I punched out of the dash today....nut was barely holding plastic switch.....had to leave the bezel off to gain enuf threads to retain the switch! DOH! (Thinking this can't be stock.....)

Cheers!
Steve

One more thing this guy did, I believe that he installed the "improved" K-member at some point.....which means I can go 383/426/440 power at any point with no cutting and hacking!!!???

Love all the "best bikini" and bigger cup bikini ads! Do they change to snow wear in the winter??? :))))
Steve

The nine horns were part of the Duke Boy craze. Never a factory option.

Yeah, never liked or watched that show... Daisy was the only good thing about it!

Sounds like lots of add on stuff installed on the car. The tag will give you the base stuff for brakes, interior, color and trim, axle option, stripes. 71 Disc brakes was an option, car was std with drums.

Yeah, never liked or watched that show... Daisy was the only good thing about it!

Sounds like lots of add on stuff installed on the car. The tag will give you the base stuff for brakes, interior, color and trim, axle option, stripes. 71 Disc brakes was an option, car was std with drums.

I liked it ok until they started jumping ridiculous stuff like oil well rigs. But yeah, Daisy was the whole reason.

Fastmerc, welcome, nice looking car....yes like Crackedback says, 2 tags on a your car would be very rare.
I guess you figured out the tags are read starting from the bottom up. (I found out the hard way) lol.
If you happen to find the "build sheet" somewhere in the interior?
Now that will tell you every option the car was given from the factory assembly line. Theres many threads here on Fabo where build sheets have been found.
Usually found under seats backs or rear seats, tucked in the springs.
Enjoy.

This Demon had two plates every option but AC . I kept every option for my car then sold the car empty. If interested I have the list of options that I kept. One reason I sold my 4spd console from my other Demon was to install the dictaphone housing from this car to house a good CD player. Now they make a trunk mount with using the factory radio. Who new? But ya can't cry over spilled soup.

loaded Demon orange d 001.jpg

Loaded Demon orange f 001.jpg

Loaded Demon orange g 001.jpg

loaded orange demon c 001.jpg

Oh the car was EV2 with black stripes originally. The original owner painted the car green. Because he kept getting pulled over. Someone on this sight bought it from me. If anyone knows who maybe I could buy it back. I even have the original motor and trans now. The original owner was John Bruk from Danielsville Pa. I believe the title was in my name when sold Steve Kiss , Danielsville pa.

This Demon had two plates every option but AC . I kept every option for my car then sold the car empty. If interested I have the list of options that I kept. One reason I sold my 4spd console from my other Demon was to install the dictaphone housing from this car to house a good CD player. Now they make a trunk mount with using the factory radio. Who new? But ya can't cry over spilled soup.

View attachment 1715581092

View attachment 1715581093

View attachment 1715581094

View attachment 1715581095

Two tags and no A/C. That had to be unusual.

The car was 4 spd AC not available on 4spd cars only three spds

I have a duster here with 3 spd, AC car . This car was changed to 4spd the tag states three speed and that was what was in it when I bought it in the 80's from New Jersey. I just got it back recently. I took everything out of the car but it is all here . Just like the Demon parts. I am considering putting it back together . My son bought a very large commercial property which will give us a lot more room to work on these cars. I have been stuck here not being able to do much due to machine work getting done on many motors that are paying the bills. Body work and Machine work don't mix in the same building as small as mine

DSCN0151[1].jpg

DSCN0152[1].jpg

DSCN0153[1].jpg

DSCN0156[1].jpg

Just remember that just because something "is on the car" does not mean it left the factory that way.

How many codes on the second tag?

If there's just one or a punch, it's an inspection tag.

What plant was it built at?

If your talking to me. I have the info in order if you would like to know. but not the tags. There was two completed data tags. I only ever had two cars in my lifetime with two tags. They're were three screws holding two tags.

If it’s a two tag car, the first tag will have ‘CTD’ on the top most line on the right side and the second tag will have ‘END’ on it.

L31 M21 M25 M31 M43 CTD
o--J41 J45 J81 L25 B51--o
C55 G11 G36 H31 J25
V08 U A01 A31 A46 A88
EV2 M6X9 5X8 BO6 107748
E55 D21 LM29 H1B 206858

V6X V8X EN1
o -------------------------- o
N41 N42 N85
R26 R31 LM29 H1B 206858

the little o's I believe was where the screw holes were

There was also a little triangle tag that had

2F

I see they didn't have end on both.

Last edited:
If the one tag has "END" on it, wouldnt that mean no more options(so no 2nd tag)??
L31 M21 M25 M31 M43 CTD
C55 G11 G36 H31 J25
V08 U A01 A31 A46 A88
EV2 M6X9 5X8 BO6 107748
E55 D21 LM29 H1B 206858

V6X V8X EN1
N41 N42 N85
R26 R31 LM29 H1B 206858

There was also a little triangle tag that had

2F

Last edited:
L31 M21 M25 M31 M43 CTD
C55 G11 G36 H31 J25
V08 U A01 A31 A46 A88
EV2 M6X9 5X8 BO6 107748
E55 D21 LM29 H1B 206858

V6X V8X EN1
N41 N42 N85
R26 R31 LM29 H1B 206858

There was also a little triangle tag that had 2F

Oldmanmopar - that appears to be a legit 2-tagger. CTD on the upper right of the first tag and EN1 is the same as END on the second tag. Both tags also have the same VIN at the bottom. That was probably one of the highest optioned 1971 Demons that they ever built. The little tag with 2F on it would likely be an inspectors tag.
Scott.

-
Back