How many foot pounds needed to turn mag 5.9?

-
Rusty there's nothing more I'd love to do! The thought of me building my engine gets me pumped. I'm scared!! I've watched the youtube video's and i know i could handle it. I'm still scared. I'm sure I'll need some specialty tools. I don't mind buying tools!! Who does? Oh by the way ....................still scared :lol:

You shouldn't be. You got all us to help you. What could possibly go wrong? lol

If it was me I'd just pull it apart and start over. You'll spend more time dinking around with it than it it's worth. It could be a bent crank or it needs a line-hone. You can't find that until the rods are out of the way.
But my guess is the rings are dry.I have watched mechanics grease the skirts with white grease, which after the oil runs out of it, leaves the soap behind, which then cakes up.....
As usual, you beat me to it. I ABSOLUTELY agree. I'd pull it apart and inspect everything. Then I would put is back together real slowly and check every clearance there is. Nothing wrong with plasti gauge, and I'd use it on every bearing.

Rusty there's nothing more I'd love to do! The thought of me building my engine gets me pumped. I'm scared!! I've watched the youtube video's and i know i could handle it. I'm still scared. I'm sure I'll need some specialty tools. I don't mind buying tools!! Who does? Oh by the way ....................still scared :lol:
Don't be scared. like RRR said, what could go wrong. I was a bit nervous when I built my first engine about 36 years ago. It was a 327 for the 65 Vette I was restoring (wish I still had it). I bought the How To Rebuild Your Small Block Chevy book. I followed it step by step, and the engine ran like a top. I've built a lot of engines since then. I built the 340 in my current 69 Barracuda about 20 years ago, and it still runs great. I can't think of any specialty tools you will need. I have always installed cams straight up without degreeing them, and I have never had a problem. BUY A REFERENCE BOOK AND DO IT YOURSELF. Like RRR said, we are here to help. And there is nothing quite like being at a car show and telling people you built the engine with your 'own two little hands'. Just make sure you use quality lubes throughout. I always use Royal purple assembly lube and a Royal Purple break in oil.

You shouldn't be. You got all us to help you. What could possibly go wrong? lol
Indeed; what? LOL

Don't be scared i built mine myself in my laundry room! If I can do it you can too!

The tools required are inexpensive. Many parts stores will loan you the needed tools. If you promise me you'll return them, I'll loan you mine. Go for it, Brother.

Don't be afraid. Get the right tools, take your time check everything 3 times. Tools are not expensive to do this. We can get you through it.

-
Back