how many ft lbs of torque for power valve?

-

pjc360

Reaction score
I was told you are supposed to torque your power valve on a holley style carburetor, to keep it from leaking. I have a quick fuel super street series 680cfm carburetor and am wondering how many ft lbs of torque I should use to torque it? Or should I just tighten it up as tight as I can with a 1 inch wrench?

i have never heard of torqueing a power valve...snug it up good and thats it...

I would be skeered of 15-20 LB FT. Hell, that's what intake bolts torque to when they thread into cast iron. I have never in my life worried about power valve torque. I just tighten them snug and let her rip.

Ive done dozens of Holleys and never did more than 1/8 turn or so after it was seated.

I would be skeered of 15-20 LB FT. Hell, that's what intake bolts torque to when they thread into cast iron. I have never in my life worried about power valve torque. I just tighten them snug and let her rip.

Maybe he meant INCH lbs.... LOL

I would be skeered of 15-20 LB FT.

Maybe he meant INCH lbs.... LOL

I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I need to put the Wheaties down, I don't know my own strength...lol. I have had some that probably took that much to get them out though. :D

Come to think of it, I probably have put a little too much on them from time to time. I always had this anal thing about getting the window type valves to line up with the channel restrictors if possible...:banghead:

I honestly don't know what I was thinking. I need to put the Wheaties down, I don't know my own strength...lol. I have had some that probably took that much to get them out though. :D

Come to think of it, I probably have put a little too much on them from time to time. I always had this anal thing about getting the window type valves to line up with the channel restrictors if possible...:banghead:

I understood exactly what you meant. 15-20 LB FT is NORMAL light load stuff. Kinda ABnormal to even think about torquin a PV. LOL

I will say this for your caveman approach.....I've torn down hundreds of Holleys where the PV was finger tight. From the gasket compressing over time I am sure, but if you tighten them good the first time, that won't happen. lol So TIGHT probably won't hurt a thing.

Sorry I meant inch pounds. And no my power valve was not leaking. I just had a guy tell me don't forget t torque your power valve they come loose.
I just tightend it down snug with my 1 inch wrench, and then after it was snug I went maybe a 1/4 of a turn tighter and called it good.
I realize they cant be to tight or the aluminum would break, or the threads would strip.
I think I got it put in just fine. thanks guys.

make sure the gasket is on centered on the power valve...

Yup, I made sure it was centered. It's not leaking or giving me any problems.
So I think it's good.

-
Back