Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 4 26.7%

Votes: 1 6.7%

Votes: 7 46.7%
  • this thread is stupid who cares

Votes: 3 20.0%

• Total voters
-
That stupid fuel tank ground clip was never a good idea. There is nothing to really ground the fuel line, against the rusting body, especially as these girls "would have been used" back in the day in some rust belt areas.
I don't know that this was any more stoopid than other metal to metal chassis ground points. The umpteen clamps on the fuel line to chassis provided a ground path, even through some years of rust.
I just worked with a member through emails that had already purchased a solid state inst' voltage regulator at some price. Turns out that all he needed to do was clean the little slither of metal on the back of his 3 post fuel gauge. Metal on metal contacts can fail inside and out.
No one expected these old girls to live so long.
The saddest part is in restoring. Put a nice new coat of paint in the engine bay, etc.., then go back and scratch away the paint in several small spots to make OEM ground paths. Add a ground wire harness?

I had an old Chevy S10 Blazer with gauges that would peg and do all sorts of weird things until they found the loose ground wire near the clutch pedal. They're just as important on Mopars.

-
Back