How many guys running a soild roller cam? any problems?

-

bones427

Reaction score
I want to install a soild roller cam in my 340 and wonder how many guys run them and what issues you may have with them.

Cam oiling at idle can be a problem if you bush the lifter bores.

I run one.

The only real issue with a solid roller is maintenance. A solid roller will not give you the carefree motoring you get with something like a hydraulic flat tappet.

The profile on almost every solid roller is fairly aggressive. This requires high spring pressures and it is more critical that this spring pressure be maintained.

Typical spring life will be under 10,000 miles. Sometimes under 2,000 miles on the more aggressive side.

Solid roller lifters are less forgiving of improper adjustment and do not like bouncing off the cam as spring pressure fades.

Save your self some time and go Hyd. Roller (I have one in my 340)

Unless you have a substantial amount of cyl head that can use all the benefits that a solid roller profile brings to the table...stick with a flat tappet.
For all that expense with a marginal set of heads it's a waste.
Get a solid lifter ground and put a 165@200 or better lobe on it and you'll have roller cam performance at flat tappet cost...IMHO

well i got a deal on a cam its a crower no.31407 will have .663 lift with 258/262 dur at .050 my heads a eddys hensley ported i am just new to running a mopar have run a bbc roller for yrs. just trying to learn and want to run a 10.50 indax class.car runs 11.80 on motor and went 10.99 with a 100shot. need to lower the n/a motor numbers. this was with a 557mp cam

nothing like the sound of a solid roller. When you hear one pull up beside you you know that sucker runs.

only isues realy is to get lifters that wont uncover the oilholes in the lifterbores unless you put tubes in the oilchannels,wich realy is not a big problem and that you may have to do some grinding so the linkbar rivets dont get to close to the block
comp has new lifters that are designed to take care of these small problems but dont know if they can handle that much lift while keeping the oilholes sealed..
i have run solidrollers on the street for many many miles as in dailydriving during the summer since 2004 with no problems just have to keep an eye on springpreasure.

lots of people are afraid of solidrollers without even trying one suited for what they are doing.

Oiling issues by bushing the bores? If so, they did it wrong..lol. Lifters get pressurized oil through the hole in the bushing, cam bearings are fed just like any other type of cam. No issues with idling unless the cams and requisite springs get really heavy. He's nowhere near that.

Moper: sorry couldnt find the right words for it,did not meen the lifterborebushings,what i mean is that the lifters can uncover the original lifteroi lholes wish i for the life of me cant forget the correct term for:(

also no problems with idling my old solidroller 340 was almost entirely only at idle for over 8hours straight during a few cruisenights

well i got a deal on a cam its a crower no.31407 will have .663 lift with 258/262 dur at .050 my heads a eddys hensley ported i am just new to running a mopar have run a bbc roller for yrs. just trying to learn and want to run a 10.50 indax class.car runs 11.80 on motor and went 10.99 with a 100shot. need to lower the n/a motor numbers. this was with a 557mp cam
> I really like the deep skirt design of the oem. lifter. I suspect it will make a pretty decent solid, by gutting the hydraulics and replacing with a precision length tubing spacer.Put the oem. push rod seat back in, this time with a "circlip" and good to go. I haven't run this combo "yet" and i don't know the lifter, max travel possible. Good Luck, ateam.8)

so would you guys run this with 1.5 rockers or 1.6? I have the 1.6 but will change if need be.

I wouldnt bother with 1.6 rockers. Very little gain for the effort and money.

Back in 1976 I helped a friend build a 340 with a roller cam for a 69 Dart that was to be a pure race car. When he got it together his girlfriend (at the time -wife now) LOVED the car so he gave it to her. He built a big block Duster for his race car. The Dart only saw the strip a few times. We advanced the cam 6 degrees, pulled the monster Holley carb and Strip Dominator manifold and replaced with an Offy / Thermoquad combo. She drove it on the street regularly without issue. They moved to California and I never heard from them. Well, last summer they called and said they'd like to stop and visit. When they pulled up in the driveway it ws with the Dart. They drove the thing on vacation!! I was surprised and asked him if he had the same engine in it. He said all he had done to it besides regular maintenance was to replace valve springs and he had to replace two rocker arms. I don't know how many miles the car had on it but the fact that it went on vacation should say something about the confidence he had in a street driven solid roller cam.

Thanks for the help. will be running this roller and the 1.6 rockers. was told a guy with a duster similar combo with 4.11 gear instead of my 4.30's ran 10.63's so i should be able to get this to my 10.50 goal. only thing i am up in the air about is brand of lifters. can get a set of compcams endura-x for $375 or the imm's for $550 or crowers for $620 + $100 if i want the hippo's.

Should install the tube in the engine block as per Mopar performance book or do the lifter true and install the lifter bushings

plenty of people have installed a roller w/o bush or the tube kit. Just pick the right cam .I have the comp lifters but the ones brian sell are better.Talk to Dan at Performance only Racing he can help you and get the right cam .I have mostly strip car but I do take it to the show now and then.

Thanks for the help. will be running this roller and the 1.6 rockers. was told a guy with a duster similar combo with 4.11 gear instead of my 4.30's ran 10.63's so i should be able to get this to my 10.50 goal. only thing i am up in the air about is brand of lifters. can get a set of compcams endura-x for $375 or the imm's for $550 or crowers for $620 + $100 if i want the hippo's.

IMM's Solid Roller Lifters are better quality than all of them in my opinion. His has pressurized oiling to to the roller and oil thru to the Rocker tip. Use Oil thru pushrods and keep pressurized oil at the ball and cup! I am going to run them on my 410 Twin Turbo that Brian is machining right now. I held them and checked them out. They are a bad azzz piece for sure. No grinding or modifying to fit either.

I was looking at herberts and howards. but know a guy who just had a set fail and wipe out his cam. car was a street strip deal. only lasted 6 months. i think the oil feed might be the way to guy if you are going to street drive it.

-
Back