How many horsepower was my car born with?

-

ReneDK

Reaction score
Dodge Charger

I have this vin:WH23G1G119923
Engine code: GM318R 33291342

Please help :)

230 advertised, actual horsepower 180hp at the wheel. Actual Compression ratio 8.1

Ok wait
with 230 versus 180, yur saying, the factory is saying, that 50hp was lost in the exhaust/accessories? I remember those numbers, being 19years old in summer of 72. I didn't believe them then and I don't believe them today. And here's why;what they failed to tell you is that they also dropped the compression around a point and a half, and retarded the timing; and the power ratings of the 73s reflect that; still 180.
So what is it? You can't have a 9.3Scr 71 engine, and a 8.0Scr 73 engine, both making 180hp NET, and we haven't even considered the power-timing yet. As for the exhaust system, well there's a wildcard.
In any case, until someone duplicates the tests, we'll be arguing this for a few more decades. I mean it's been nearly 5 already.

Besides, it doesn't really matter; with 2.76s they're both dogs to over 25 mph,and they'll both wimp out at about 45/50 in low,when the springs lose it and the valves start banging into the pistons.
But if yur gonna rebuild yur 8.0 engine, you'll be restoring the Scr to something like 9.3 to 9.8 anyway to fit a slightly hotter cam.
And if not , then your best and cheapest option is more gear.... like 3.91s. Then more stall.
Lord help you if you put a 268* cam in there at 8/1 with 2.76s, and the factory convertor.Don't do it!

My old Chilton book still shows 230hp for a 71........ fwiw.Or....... 150-200 less than you really want:steering:
Hyup 380 is a good number, especially if the cylinder pressure is also right there with it. But not a 380/318, forget that........ unless it's supercharged, then I take it back,lol.

In 73 and 74 the 318 in the Road Runner had dual exhaust which was rated at 10 more hp.

Think of it this way....
GROSS. is what they. TELL you what you are going to make every paycheck.
NET . is what you actually bring home.

NET. is ..what you have to live on.
Yup exactly only the early 318 were closer to factory specs but still off. If Chryslers measurements were correct I would have a 250 h.p slant six and a 325 hp 318........... lol but the 340 were actually higher in power than advertised early ones at least.

If I remember correctly, 1971-1972 went from 230 hp to 150 hp. Compression ratio was the same 8.6-1. All in how it was calculated. My ‘72 Duster ran heads up or beat several ‘71’s.

RR and Charger rallye 318 were 170 HP rated IIRC

...because of the factory dual exhaust

The bottom line is: 230 is the number you tell your friends. :)
The net number is the one you feel when driving... ask me how I know.
Stock 318's have low compression, a tiny camshaft and a tiny 2bbl. It is what it is, LOL.

Your friends with a Chebbie will all claim their engines make 300HP.

The bottom line is: 230 is the number you tell your friends. :)
The net number is the one you feel when driving... ask me how I know.
Stock 318's have low compression, a tiny camshaft and a tiny 2bbl. It is what it is, LOL.

Your friends with a Chebbie will all claim their engines make 300HP.
And ford friends will say their cars actually run, but most likely not lol.

-
Back