How many of you?......

-

Abodybomber

Breaking street machines , since 1983.....:)
Legendary Member
Reaction score
Build a engine,around a already sorted chassis/transmission/ converter combo? I like my 3:55 Trac Loc /9.5 3200 stall/ 002/003. S.S setup. Yes ,I may miss a few tenths. I enjoy what I have. Current setup,400 -ish,360 Magnum. Share your thoughts.

Other than the converter, my car is pretty much set up. Suspension is done, everything from the trans back is either new or rebuilt. The engine was the last, and most expensive, piece of the puzzle. This is a street car though, little to no strip time due to our local track being stolen from us by crooked politicians and rich constituents.

Build a engine,around a already sorted chassis/transmission/ converter combo?
That's what I'm doing now. Can't afford to build a eng and then build the chassis around it.

Built a stroker motor to fit what i have now.

340, 2800 stall and 4.56 gears.
Stroker is build to make lots of torque down low and probably won't see 6000 rpm on top.

340's like to rev and with a 2800 stall, well it just didn't like to 60 foot at all! Ran grate after that.

The stroker will stretch that converter stall speed and have a boat load more torque in that rpm area.

Always.

Build the engine to suit what I plan on doing with the car.

Part of that is what the car already has and/ or will have soon, in the end, to get the machine to do what I plan on using it for.

None of my cars will have the same engine, or even similar engines. Each of them will live a different life.

It sounds like that 360 mag will motivate with that setup in your Scamp. It will like RPM. Is that why you've been tuning 2x4's on a tunnel ram, in your sleep?

Would it be fair to say that if you're not looking to squeeze those final 2 or 3 tenths out of your ET, and instead plan to drive it on the street regularly it really doesn't matter which way around you build your car/engine?

The only reason I tend to do it the opposite way is because I believe there is more development, trial and error involved in making an entire car go than making an engine go.

I'll do whatever the customer wants. The only "maybe" in building an engine for a particular combo is the convertor. So much of it's performance is determined by the engine's output that if the original engine had any real unseen issues a better replacement may change the personality of that convertor. Otherwise it's not much different than building the whole powertrain... match what's there, match what the customer wants out of it, and you're good.

Dave Bonds,posted: It sounds like that 360 mag will motivate with that setup in your Scamp. It will like RPM. Is that why you've been tuning 2x4's on a tunnel ram, in your sleep?
Lmao! It's down the road aways. A RPM airgap,came way of one of the FABO members here. I need headwork,and a bit more compression for that. Last tunnel ram setup,the shop I worked at was a 9.5 360 Challenger.Yes it was streetable.

-
Back