How much cam with 9.0 compression?

-

TimDart

Reaction score
I have a 360 with 9.0 comp, current cam is compcams XE 262h (.47 lift). Running lightly ported (in the bowl area) heads, standard convertor and 3.23 gears. How much more cam could i run on this motor to up the power, but still keep it street tractable. Brakes dont need vacuum.

I myself would go one step higher on the comp cam extreme list. 2 steps may be to much with the rear gear. (IE the XE268)

If you put something new in, make sure that you degree it. I put a Mopar cam and timing set in, lined up the dots, and it ran like a dog. 284-.484. Checked it, it was 3 degrees retarded. Changed it to 3 degrees advanced (9.2:1 383) night and day difference. Always check them now.

don

dusterdon said:
If you put something new in, make sure that you degree it. I put a Mopar cam and timing set in, lined up the dots, and it ran like a dog. 284-.484. Checked it, it was 3 degrees retarded. Changed it to 3 degrees advanced (9.2:1 383) night and day difference. Always check them now.

don

Damn Good Advice Don. I installed my last MP .509" by the book and then checked it and it was out 2 degrees.

TimDart said:
I have a 360 with 9.0 comp, current cam is compcams XE 262h (.47 lift). Running lightly ported (in the bowl area) heads, standard convertor and 3.23 gears. How much more cam could i run on this motor to up the power, but still keep it street tractable. Brakes dont need vacuum.

Sorry Tim, but with those gears, converter and that comp. ratio I wouldn't go much higher. She could get pretty doggy of the line.

Thanks Guys, so its probably no to the compcams xe268 then? Current cam is good, but i was looking for that bit extra (sound familiar) without compromising reliability.

I run the Comp EX275HL in my '72 340. + .030, 9 to 1, ported 'J' heads with auto and 3.91 gears, 10 TCI convertor that stalls 3200 in car. Runs good on street and strip. FYI, FWIW. Terry.

i'd look into a little more stall in the convertor
before a cam change.

I just ordered the XE262 for my plow/tow truck. I'd go larger for a car. The 268 is a good start, but I'd go bigger if you run headers, even with a stock convertor and gears. A Std Magnum 268H would be a nice cam, have a little rumble, and pull great from about 1500 up.

Thanks guys, just looking for a little more. i'm running 340 cast manifolds and 2.5" TTI system. I'll have a look at the Magnum cam spec.

TimDart said:
Thanks guys, just looking for a little more. i'm running 340 cast manifolds and 2.5" TTI system. I'll have a look at the Magnum cam spec.
The xe262 cam is already more performance oriented than the 268 m on account it is geared towards making power with low compression. The xe268 will make more hp and torque and is better suited to your application.....kim

I'm with Kim. The Magnum cam is ok for ported head use in a more aggressive manor than how your set up. The split duration cam should seriously be looked at.

You didn't tell us what intake? You can cheat alot more on cam with a good dual plane intake to fill in the bottom end....

BD

The inlet is the usual Edelbrock performer dual plain. is'nt 3,000rpm stall a little too agressive for street use. I'm not sure what is in it currently, but its not too great!

3000 seems alittle high for use with a Performer considering it's rpm range is 5500. But then again, 3000 matched right is fine for the street.
Once the combo is set up right and matched up, a good and tight converter will not be a bain for driving. In the future, I will be looking at a PTC or Dynamic converter. These fellas can do very well in getting you what you need. I will be asking them since I would rather do it once than take a shot at my smarts over there expertise. I'm used to rowing my own boat. (4spd manual trans) and a auto. trans could use a pro level hand rather than my novice hands on making it better.

Yep, there is an excellent thread on dynamic (and other) convertors on the transmission part of this site.Certainly made me think about a change.

-
Back