How much can I expect to spend on a 8 3/4" rear end?

-

Down Shift

Reaction score
The 8 1/4" rear end in my '73 Dart is an open unit with highway gears. Rather than screwing around with it, I would just like to upgrade to a 8 3/4" rear end. Any advice on what the going rate is for a decent rear end for an A body? Just looking at how much I need to budget for the upgrade.

Thanks!

800-1300 for an original A-body with suregrip and decent street gear...like 3.23 3.55 or 3.91

The 8 1/4" rear end in my '73 Dart is an open unit with highway gears. Rather than screwing around with it, I would just like to upgrade to a 8 3/4" rear end. Any advice on what the going rate is for a decent rear end for an A body? Just looking at how much I need to budget for the upgrade.

Thanks!

If you find one for under a 1000, snag it. The ones I have seen here in Michigan are pricey. Then there's the axle replacement if you want big bolt pattern.

Keep an eye on Craigs List, I see them on there from time to time.

If I build another A body, I will get a Ford 9" out from under an old F100 and narrow it to fit. They can be had dirt cheap and are stronger than the 8.75 anyway.

Screw all those idiots wanting 1K for a rear end.

if you can be patient and take your time you can get all the parts you need for fairly cheap, i took my time and sourced most of my parts individually
489 case 3.91 gears sure grip from craigslist - $350
63 b body housing with a body perches from ebay - $200
new axles from dr diff- $300
all in it probably cost me around a grand once i got all the odds and ends but didnt seem to bad in my book and it was fun slapping it together anyways

Hold on there
What's your combo?
A stock 73 teener cannot begin to hurt that 8.25. Even if you pump it up.
But if you go to a performance stall, then just put a SG in it and call it done. If you put performance gears in it, you will likely have to do that to any 8.75 anyway.
There are lotsa 8.25s being abused by teeners out there.I myself have had two,that I could not break; 1 hot teener, and 1 was in a 3 year old 74 Dart sport 360 4-speed,with Indy N50-15s.I loved that beaker.

I have $2200 in to mine. But that includes Dr Diff rear disk brake kit.

20160723_223338.jpg

20160718_202857.jpg

I got an A-body 8 3/4 complete, and in unknown condition for 200. Granted, it was a buddy of mine, so I probably got a decent deal.

Took my time looking for Jake's and mine... found 3 of them in a 2 yr span between 250 and 450 complete. I've been lucky.

With the amount of parts readily avaliable at the junkyard for the 8 1/4 (late model jeeps) I would upgrade what you have. Ring and pinion, sure grip and even disk brakes would cost less than switching to 8 3/4

$2200 Minus $600 brakes. Minus $300 large bolt pattern Axel's. Minus $150 for powder coating and blasting. Minus $120 for shock plates. Minus $30 pinion snubber. Minus $30 for brake lines. Minus $150 for DTS to rebuild up the suregrip. Heck I'm under budget based on the people here. Have a great day guys!

If you're low buck building with intent for future power go with the 9" Ford.

If your staying home with the power you got then sure grip the 8-1/4" and call it done.

If you happen to find someone giving an 8-3/4" away, grab it and make it a later project.

No matter what you do somehow you'll likely end up with this...................
MTWallet.jpg

8 3/4 is just as strong as the "turd ford 9"...plenty of Mopar's running in the 10's and have seen some in the 9's running them..like everything else its how well you build it..

-
Back