How much difference will a new converter make

-

1972Dart

Reaction score
In a basically stock 360 with just a purple shaft cam, 750 double pumper, with a bone stock converter compared to a 9.5" Dynamic converter with a 4200-4500 stall. I have 4.10 gears. Oh yeah and stock front shocks changed to 90/10 adjustable Competition Engineering shocks. How much of a difference would I notice in 60ft times if I changed to the these shocks and put this new conveter in would this do much to help?

I dropped 2/10ths in my 60ft with a dynamic 9 1/2" converter swap, the track d/a also went up about 2,000ft. I need to fully tune it back up and try it out here now that i'm in florida. ...with that build, and a 4,500rpm stall is pretty excessive. Mine will footbrake to about 3,500 with 3.91s. Just my2cents

"just a purple shaft" and "a 750 double pumper"... Sounds like you may have a larger purple shaft...Which one? If the tires stick, and if the cam comes on after 2500 (like the MP .484 and .509s) then a stall convertor will help you. With 4.10s, I dont think you need THAT high a stall tho, regardless of cam. I'm a big fan of "use the lowest stall that get's you into the torque curve" when it's a street car that races once in a a while.

Nothing will put a smile on your face like a good converter swap. Except for maybe a good gear swap.

It would seem like alot of people spend their attention to the engine & gears, then wonder why the guy on a bicycle 60 footed better than you. The best thing to do is call any one of the major convertor companies to get a recommendation, get ready to spend some money. A cheap convertor is like a cheap doctor, lawyer, ETC. You will be in for a big suprise the first time you drive it with a good convertor! Every system in the car needs to work together IE, engine - transmission - convertor - rear axle - frt & rr suspension - tires.

first off what "purple shaft" are you running?

my 9.5 dynamic converter made a huge difference but i'm running the 508/292 mp cam. i get 3000 rpm easy on the foot brake. seems with converters you get what you pay for.. like already stated i would call a couple converter companies and see what they recomend for your application... the biggest thing is when they ask be totally honest about your combo and intended use. that will make the difference between likeing the converter and hateing it...

4200-4500 stall, Way to much stall for what you got there......

ThanX for all the replies and input. I have a .484 cam btw. I called Dynamic Converters and worked with Shawn and gave him honest info and numbers not "dream" numbers or wishfull ones. I had made some dyno pulls with it last summer just to see what it had and I also gave him all the numbers off my current time slips from the past 3 weeks. I explained I am going to a big block very soon and would be needing another converter for that so I didn't want an 8" extreme crazy converter but I did need his professional advice since it's not my area of expertise at all. His response was the 9.5" 4500-4800 stall. I only asked because I questioned it being higher than I initially planned but this car won't be seing any street time until the big block is back in anyway. I asked about slip and everything else under the sun because it's not a cheap converter. He assured me from my gears, tire size, HP/TQ curve, current ET and current 60ft times and all kinds of other questions that this would be the best combo for this setup. He was also well aware that if it isn't rigt and something goes south, that I would be less likely to recommend or come back to him for my BB converter where I really intend to rake out some serious $$$. I wanted as much input as I could get on this because of the expense and it will be my first custom converter and I wasn't sure what to expect. A few peeps at the track insist it will be like day and night and I just can't see it being such a big difference that's why I went after the big cubes. I will keep you informed of what happens and the results. I can even post before and after time slips for anyone else wondering (keep in mind my rear suspension still needs tuned in). I know I'm losing some # bc of the rear suspension not being top notch. I will install it this Saturday but won't be able to make it to the track until the following Friday night unless Maple Grove has test & tune open this Saturday night. Hope it pays off!!! Thanks for the input.

Well, I've had two of Shawn's "9.5s" restalled lower because they were too high once installed. In both cases it was $300 to fix. I would hate to differ with him. But IMO, that's too high. What rpm was your peak torque at on the dyno? Chassis or engine dyno? What are those ET, mph, and finish line rpm numbers?

sounds good... sean hit my converter right on the money.. you should see a nice difference.. and even know it stahls high like that you will be suprised at how nice it locks on the street.... i questioned him about the 3800 he did for my car but man he was right.. i could tell a difference as soon as i drove the car... went from feeling fast with the ati to feeling like your shot out of a cannon.. hopefully yours will work as well as mine has.

abodyjoe said:
sounds good... sean hit my converter right on the money.. you should see a nice difference.. and even know it stahls high like that you will be suprised at how nice it locks on the street.... i questioned him about the 3800 he did for my car but man he was right.. i could tell a difference as soon as i drove the car... went from feeling fast with the ati to feeling like your shot out of a cannon.. hopefully yours will work as well as mine has.

Happy birthday Joe :blob:

-
Back