How much do you have invested?

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I finally got around to totaling all ( let`s say most, I may have lost a few) of my receipts covering the restoration of my `68 Barracuda. I`ve got $23,700 in this restoration, including the initial cost of the car and a donor car. I guess it`s about what I had figured. Is this about the average for an A-body that wasn`t put on a spit? What have you guys invested in your cars?

Nitecuda (Medium).jpg

well in the motor ive got around 4000, and then 3600 buying the car. having really done anything major to it yet. im sure theres more but i dont wanna figure it out. dave

All though I don't know the exact dollar amount - since it's taken me so long to complete my project, I think the car has appreciated in the amount that I have put in it. So if I completed it soon and sold it right away, I think I'd be even.

Anybody else felt the drastic value in their car go up in the last 10 years?

Well living on a tight budget I have never been able to put as much into mine as some of you have. I would say I hve around $2000 in my 65 Barracuda and around $3500 into my Dart.

My car was built as a driver and it's driven almost every day between March and December so it's far from a cocours restoration but;

Purchase price of the car was $800. Over the next three years I did body work, paint, did a bearing and re-ring job on the slant 6, re did the interior. When I put it back on the road in 2000 I had about $4500 invested.

Since then I have built a 360 which cost me about $2500, and anothe $1000 or so on other improvements and changes.

I have picked up a lot of parts along the way for either nothing or very short dollars that has kept the cost down and other than machine shop work on the 360 I have done everything myself which is a huge cost savings.

So a grand total of approximately $8000.00

DSCN0163.jpg

Well I bought a completely done car. THe purchase price was a
cheap $6700.00. Then came all the parts to make it mine. Wheels,
tires some engine parts. Different gears. The normal stuff from
Summit and Jegs. I still should have under $10,000.00 in it.
I think I got lucky.

1 original 1968 Plymouth Valiant 100- $400 dollars
Head rebuild for the slant 6- $210 dollars
Various little parts- $80
All the fun that I am having- PRICELESS

For everything else there's SuperCharge

Russ

Hi John
I'm up around 25 grand,and every year my wife allows me to spend another grand. Guess it's a keeper now.
Your Cuda looks great. Worth every penny, and then some.

Hello Bill, I`m glad I`m not the only one to have this kinda` money invested. I was apprehensive about totaling everything, like the others in this thread I figured I might have a coronary when I saw what the actual cost was. I saved every solitary receipt, no matter how minor. It`s amazing how much incidentals total.........things like nuts ,bolts ,clamps ,screws ,etc. It came in just above what I had figured but I`m very pleased. Thing is I`m considering throwing another 3.5K into a 5spd! It never ends! Love your Dart, we oughta trade for a season, lol!!!

paid 2k for it and that started the mopar meter spinning. If the numbers ever slow down to a dull blur then I might get a glimpse at the amount as it flys by.But that being said. I should come in under 10 -12k doing everything myself (maybe I could get some tips from demonseed to save me some re-do's on my 383, we only live 4 blocks apart lol)

The word "invested" in the title of this thread is a complete misnomer, at least for me....

I have a '69 Dart, that I bought from a friend for ...let's just say too much considering that the car would be essentially gutted (except for paint/body). New engine, tranny, rearend, Caltracs, Alterkation, 14 point cromo cage, 4 wheel Wilwood. etc., etc.

I would honestly be embarrased to say just how much I have spent on this car and it's been parked for a year and half and still another 6 months before it's running again. Let's just say the engine (all aluminum 572") and Vasco 'glide tranny alone cost >$25K.

But you know what? Regardless of how poor an investment this is, I absolutely know that when I drive this car down the street for the first time, after nearly 2 years of it being parked and tens of thousands of dollars later, I will have the biggest **** eating grin on my face knowing that.......it was worth every friggin penny :thumbup:

babygotback_edited-8.jpg

I have in parts about $5500 and the body is on a stand ready for sandblasting! But when it is assembled it's always worth it! It least I hope so...

Jims71duster said:
paid 2k for it and that started the mopar meter spinning. If the numbers ever slow down to a dull blur then I might get a glimpse at the amount as it flys by........

The needle flew off my Mopar Meter YEARS ago..... I'm into my crate for about $9,000 at this point between 2 engine rebuilds and a garage full of parts. When the body & paint are done, plus all the "little things", I should have another 10-12 grand in it.

I should have bought a finished project.....:sad1:

Longgone said:
I finally got around to totaling all ( let`s say most, I may have lost a few) of my receipts covering the restoration of my `68 Barracuda.

How about some more pictures of your car? It looks good in the picture you posted.

Well, I'd say way more than it worth in my case. In 13 (owened since 1993) years and changing my mind more a zillion times. I'd say $30 plus and I'm not done and top it off it's just a lowly 64 Valiant.

Lee

FASTBACK340 said:
How about some more pictures of your car? It looks good in the picture you posted.

Here`s a couple photos....same shoot as my garage. Along the way I`ve changed direction several times (initially planned a factory style restoration) but I ended up with sort of a resto-mod. I think we can all agree that this is an expensive hobby, but it sure is worth it when all the cylinders are firing!!!

IM000634 (Small).JPG

IM000637 (Small).JPG

IM000658 (Small).JPG

IM000647 (Small).JPG

for my barracuda id say so far i have about $1700 into her that is counting $1300 for the car

fender patches (pos) $100
rear chrome/tail lights: $60
Primer and undercoating: $100
Sand paper and misc: $30
New tires : 150 (or so but got for free)

I need qts still which is about $450 :| a 8 3/4 rear end, and need money to build the 340 :tongue9: ...alot

I would have to say that over the past five or so year around I have dropped over 25K. Thank God it is a track car and not a street car or I am sure the price would be higher.

-
Back