How much HP gain with just headers

-

73dart360

Reaction score
I found a set of ceramic TTI 1 5/8 headers for $300 still in the box so how could i pass it up , i am going to put them on a 72 stock 318 scamp all original 230 Hp version, will i see a big difference compared to stock exhaust manifolds ?

Attachments

• get-attachment.jpg
    30.9 KB · Views: 211
I had a friend looking at my 67 coronet and i told him i had a 318 scamp on the way ,he said i have a new set of TTi headers stashed in my garage that a friend bought and never used he said $300 i said ill take ,I wish i could find more deals like that

Those will NOT work on your car. I will send you my address so you can send them to me!! God I wish I could find a deal like that!

I'm in with the 10-15 hp crowd. In the early 80's when me and a buddy were just getting into playing with hot rods he had a mid 70's Dodge D100 with a 318 and we put headers on it and it really woke it up. A definite gain you could feel. Proper muffler choice will make the final determination. Put stock mufflers back on it and the gain will be less.

Adding dual exhaust to a stock 318 is the first thing that should be done (besides putting a double roller timing chain on). Before adding a 4 bbl.

I had a dual exhaust with an h pipe installed on my 70 Dart and it cut my 60 - 100 MPH burst less than half it was with the stock single exhaust.

Cheapest HP gain combo can be done in a weekend, headers, dual exhaust with an "H" or "X" pipe, a 4 BBl carb and intake, and a decent street cam ( I did it with an RV grind) .

In a 70's pre-smog 2 bbl. 318, you should see a gain in low and mid range (streetable) HP of about a 18-22 HP , and about of 9% to 11% gain in usable torque ( depending on your choice of cams, of course).

It's probably the most efficient and productive time and money spent when you figure dollars/time spent vs. usable results.

-
Back