how much hp, tq will 8.25 take

-

dart6

Reaction score
Hi probably put my 408 stroker in would it be ok, what about a bb, it would see very little strip use thanks

There was an article in one of the mopar magazines a few years back that did a build up on an 8.25. With the right parts in an A-body with an automatic they stated 600HP was the limit.

One of the best upgrades was stated as one of the cast rear covers that have the jack screws to support the bearing caps.

It was a couple of years ago and I don't recall the issue. The build included new axles and differential plus the previously mentioned rear cover. They also fully welded the axle tubes to the center housing and I want to say they did something on the housing ends to use different bearings that allowed the elimination of the c-clips but I can't recall for sure if it was that article or a differnt one.

In any case there are plenty of A-bodies running well into the 12's with 8.25 rear ends.

Got to their website and search through the tech archives....they usually have those articles posted.

That wasn't the article, the one I am referring to was specifically what can be done to build a stronger 8.25. The rear cover looks the same though.

To get a good idea of what an 8.25 will take, It might be easier to ask you what are you asking it to do? Race,street,slicks,how much Motor, etc. I have a 3.21 SG, in my 69 STREET Dart, that I hammer on every now and then and it has held up fine.

Thanks for the replies, it's in a 70 b-body at the moment shipping to New Zealand in a couple of weeks.I have a 408 stroker about 500hp here in NZ but may build a 470 stroker as i have a 400 sitting here and put the 408 in my 68 dart.It will mainly see street use with a few trips to the strip cheers Brett

If you start getting your car to hook hard, I would say the 27 spline axles are going to fail. If you go with the BB stroker I would consiter a Dana 60 or at least a very well built 489 or 742 8 3/4 with good components like Moser or Strange engineering with 35 spline axles. But thats me I tend to lean towards overkill. " Build or buy the best and you'll never be disappointed"

-
Back