How much power is a stock setup good for?

-

68cuda_dream

Reaction score
I have a completely stock 68 barracuda and just wanted to know how much power I could put into it before I have to start looking for suspension, steering, and chassis upgrades? What would need to be done first? I'm just starting my build and am just looking for a little more info on how durable the car is. I would like to keep everything stock until I put an engine in (goal is around 400 hp) but don't want to hammer it down and tweak the body or blow out the rear end, you know what I mean?

It's always a good idea to go through your suspension and brakes before going for power.

A quality, stock suspension rebuild will take you very far. Brakes…. A quality rebuild even on drums if you use good pads will work fairly well but I wouldn't use them on a 400hp car.

Basically they are pretty tough cars and take quite a beating ... but it is 40+ years old. First thing to go on mine was the rear end then the tranny

Basically they are pretty tough cars and take quite a beating ... but it is 40+ years old. First thing to go on mine was the rear end then the tranny

I am in the process of doing the same thing. Doing the rear right now.

I agree with everything everyone has said so far. If you're gonna have around 400 HP and it is a factory v-8 car...a brake upgrade to front disc (preferably 73 or later set-up) and a replacement of all suspension parts will go along way. I mos def recommend front and rear sway bars for any and all street cars.

I say build the car to handle! Rebuild that front suspension! Get a factory disc brake kit like was mentioned before, all new bushings, tie rods, idler arm and pitman arm. Definitely get heavy duty torsion bars. Just suspension has a sale on Ebay right now for their 1.0" torsion bars for $160 with free shipping! Thats a helluva deal, get those torsion bars, I promise you, youll love em! Then get a Hellwig front sway bar. Your car will handle better than new. Heres a link to the torsion bars!

http://stores.ebay.com/just-suspension_Mopar_W0QQ_fsubZ1131066010QQ_sidZ885788330?_nkw=torsion

Jump on it and get a set!!

-
Back