how much power will stock rods survive?

-
NOT to hi-jack this thread but what about a well prep'd/well balanced stock crank/rod with ARP bolts not shifting over 6500??

Mike I would not hesitate to use a stock crank and rods shifting at that rpm. I am running 10.68 in the 1/4 at 125 mph with the engine I got from BJR. 0.30 over 360. Stock rods and cast crank. With the 28" tires, 4.56 gears I was shifting at 6500 rpm and crossing the line at 7000. With the 31" tires I am shifting at 6300rpm and crossing the line at 6600rpm. 50-60 passes now. Once I solve my traction problem I expect to get in the mid 10's or better with this engine.

I have turned my 340 up over 8000 rpm several times by accident (missing gears) and have never had a rod fail. Did bend a few valves though. I have been around small block mopars most of my life and dont ever recall seeing a stock rod failure but I am sure there are many. Maybe I have just been lucky. Saw a lot of big blocks come a part though. My new 416 stroker short block does have H beam rods but only because everyone told me I should use them and I am hoping to see 600hp. If I had been on a tight budget I would not have hesitated using stock rods.

moparandy said:
have never had a rod fail. Did bend a few valves though. I have been around small block mopars most of my life and dont ever recall seeing a stock rod failure but I am sure there are many. .

I've only seen a few fail and I couldnt really attribute it directly to stock rod use. Mopars are know to have good stock rods. That's why Chevy had to add better rods to the higher hp engines. They broke tham a lot. From what I've seen the majority of big blocks break as a result of the blocks giving up, rather than rods or crank.

Mike, You're fine...

mikesduster said:
NOT to hi-jack this thread but what about a well prep'd/well balanced stock crank/rod with ARP bolts not shifting over 6500??

my stock forged crank with stock rods arpbolted with heavy trw pistons have survived 7500rpm shifts for a few years now;) (this is a wellballanced pagage) so you should be plenty safe

-
Back