Rusty 1975 Duster, what would YOU do?

• Fix all the rust, it's original

Votes: 51 44.7%
  • Part it and build a solid car instead with the parts

Votes: 63 55.3%

• Total voters
-
color can always be changed.

Lets face it, my 67 barracuda is absolutely nothing special 273 2 barrel, 7.25 rear, all the un-desirable parts to it. The guy I got the car from sold her to me as a parts vehicle, but with a little help and a few pieces and bits of metal it's come to be a much better car than it was

If you have to pay someone to fix the rust issues, yes it could come down to "worth it" or not. If you have the ability and want to fix something yourself it comes out being much better.

Having lived in SW michigan/Northern indiana for all my life I can't stand how it seems that everyone in the whole damned world wants to jump at the chance to part a car for a few bucks. especially something with as many replacement panels as the A body cars now have available from the aftermarket (yes, I know they aren't PERFECT) How does anyone who restores a deusenburg function, last I looked they don't make any parts for those, but when's the last time one of those got crushed?

Keep it, look at that thread with the 65 cuda from austria. I have a 36 pontiac sitting in my garage that I have taken every piece of wood out of and re-done. this car is FAR MORE worthless than the A-body mopars are. If you like the car, keep it. if the frame is solid, keep it. if the thing was rolled twelve times down the free-way then it's parting material to me. Otherwise, it's a nice cheap shell and it's fixable.

Not to come off as a rant though.

It needs to be sold to the right guy,one withe the skills time and patience$$ to pull it off. Dont turf it.
Give it a new home!

If you live in a dry state or have big bucks. The rest of us have to learn to deal with it. There is not an infinite supply of cars that are 30 plus years old. Here in PA, in my local area, I seldom see anything on the road older than the late 80's. Wish I would have saved some of the A-bodies I parted back in the early 90's that were about the same shape as this one.

Well Mass. certainly is not a dry state and i certainly don't have big bucks,just like buying clean cars why deal with rust if you don't have too...like a body guy i know says "once a rust bucket always a rust bucket"..

I waited over 3 years to find my latest project. I can't stand dealing with rust (been there did that) so it was worth the wait for me to have a rust free western car. I paid a premium for it but everything comes apart with hand tools and all the nuts and bolts are like new. The cars are getting harder to find but there still out there. 75Sport

Attachments

• IMG_1521.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 214
Or you could make a trip out west and start with a car that has (supposedly) little rust.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/cto/2095902942.html

$600
i recently bought a 1975 duster for a project car
it had a 225/904 set up
there is no rust
4x4 1/2 bolt pattern
disc brakes
power stering
i just dont want it to sit there till i get around to it, and i need the money for some bills so my loss your gain
its a verry good project, everything is there
no rust
straight body

call text or email any time

need to sell asap

thanks for looking chris

its a good mopar starter project

360-219-3427

Just for the heck of it I contacted him. He sent some more pics. Thier small but the car aint that bad. Heck for $600 it's a steal!

Ddidnt vote, i hate rust, and dont have the tools or know how to do bodywork. If you want to learn body work, like me, i would try though.

Have you ever been to dodgecharger.com? There is a guy with a project on there, a 69 Charger, that when he started it, it looked like a total basket case, everything was rusted. He bought what looked like a new car, in pieces from AMD, he has pics in various stages, and the car looks brand new, i couldnt believe it. Lots of work if you have time. Wish i had the time and knowledge to do that stuff.

I drove my -75 Duster for 15 years as a dailidriver when i hade a little fender bender and i had same question fix it or part it.
I fixed it whith some leftover Demon parts and some help from Fabo members here is the result.
Bild2025.jpg

Bild10006.jpg

Bild10009.jpg

You made the right move found another car..

Hemi demon you put a demon front clip on your 75 duster..Looks good and different..

Well, I'm a bit spoiled as I'm in SoCal and out in the desert at that.....I say hell no, find a cherry body. It definitely ain't hard. Even if you wanna polish your body/welding skills, most likely the rust has deep roots into that steel and it will start bubbling the paint somewhere down the road, which would make my blood boil after doing all that work.

Geez, I've seen TOTALLY MINT duster bodies out here in CA in the boneyard (and they'll sell the bodies for $500 too!) so why waste time on mega-rust repair? Start with something worthwhile and invest all your time in blocking out virgin steel quarter panels (or at least ones that may only need a patch panel at the bottom) Time is precious.

Let me also throw this out there.....(I know it's depressing but...) I've seen a lot of gargantuan unfinished projects being sold by widows, if you know what I mean. Get those suckers finished and on the road ASAP!.....'cuz you just never know.

Watch Chop cut rebuild! That car was GONE. A XP Hemi, 1 of 1, dealer promo car. it was way rustier than your ruster/duster. I know your car isn't nearly as rare but they are ALL drying up. Fix the rust. there are enough parts cars already!

-
Back