How much total advance?

-

mischiefdart

Reaction score
So I have an '83 318 with stock compression, a MP 220*@.050 .455" cam and TQ on a performer intake. Car is a '70 Dart with O/D 4 speed and 2.94 gear. I am recurving the distributor and was wondering how much total advance to run. Motor is pretty happy at 22* initial and I am not running vacuum advance. I am running just the light spring and welding up the slots to limit total advance. So 32* to 38* is what I have seen recommended. My question is because I have low compression would the motor run better with more advance?

If it starts ok at 22* initial, crank it up to 24* and see if it pings under load. You really would like to generally get the most advance that you can without having detonation issues.

Put a light on it and see where the total is and turn it up a couple degrees and drive it. One thing to remember, when you here it ping may not be where it's starting to ping. I always pull an extra degree or two out as a safety margin incase you get a bad batch of gas etc.

The reset the mechanical so you hit that total number using your 22* initial.

If you can dial in the vacuum advance, it will likely help with fuel mileage. It's just another area that takes some work to get right.

-
Back