How much / what kind of oil in cylinders for storage?

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I have an engine on a stand that is going to be put into my Dart. (It is a 360 roller motor from a 1990 truck, remanufactured with about 26k miles)

Looks like it's going to be longer than anticipated before I will make the swap. So I want to lube the cylinders with oil, but I'm not sure what to use. 30 wt engine oil okay? Just remove spark plugs and squirt some in each cylinder? Anything else?

Thanks

Yea Put in the oil, spin it over a few times, then put the plugs back in . Then every month or two spin it over again. Just keep it moving so the oil can move around.

Turning it regularly is important, IMO....don't 'park' it at the same place each time. Moist air getting into the open valves will do the most damage. Respray in some new oil from time to time. If it will be setting reeeally long, then there are oils used in the aircraft industry that are made to fill the cylinders for long term storage; check Aircraft Spruce and Specialty in the PNW.

STP or Motor Honey works well. Even chainsaw bar and chain oil. Anything with a really sticky consistency.

Thanks for the tips. I don't think WD40 is a good idea, I've never had much luck with it, other than hand cleaner / paint remover! So how much oil goes down the holes? Will there be any issues later when I go to fire it up?

I fill them to the brim with diesel. works for me

I got some stuff from the phone company that cable maintenance techs use. It comes in a pump spray bottle and looks like gold snot, sticks to metal and doesnt run. Corrosion control.

There is also an aerosol that may be better, made by LPS called "Premier rust inhibitor 3" says its wax based so its safe for cylinders, will burn right off. WD40 is too light for cylinders. I sprayed a camshaft 3 years ago and its still rust free on my shelf.
00316.jpg

I use fogging oil. You can pick it up at most auto parts stores. Spray a little bit down into the cylinders and rotate the motor a few times by hand. It doesn't take much, just a spray lasting for about 1 second in each cylinder would be fine.

I use fogging oil. You can pick it up at most auto parts stores. Spray a little bit down into the cylinders and rotate the motor a few times by hand. It doesn't take much, just a spray lasting for about 1 second in each cylinder would be fine.

Yup...

Sta-Bil engine storage fogger was on the discount table at wally's for $2 a can a while back.

Seems like that company might know what they're doing.

I have an engine on a stand that is going to be put into my Dart. (It is a 360 roller motor from a 1990 truck, remanufactured with about 26k miles)

Looks like it's going to be longer than anticipated before I will make the swap. So I want to lube the cylinders with oil, but I'm not sure what to use. 30 wt engine oil okay? Just remove spark plugs and squirt some in each cylinder? Anything else?

Thanks

How long might "longer than anticipated" be?? Months or years?

-
Back