• 50% more

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • 60% more

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 100% more

Votes: 6 27.3%

• Total voters
-
Here's the problem; with the Chinese product, you can't trust that the material is the same, that the manufacturing is the same, and even if the product is the same, you're still undercutting all the other US-based suppliers (*assuming that this is truly an apples n' oranges comparison).

Material might be the same, but everybody from the guy at the quarry digging up ore to the guy at the raw-material plant refining it to the guy at the warehouse to the guy selling the stuff, none of them are feeding the family on YOUR dollar, even IF the product is identical in every single way.

The US engineer didn't make any money. The QC guy didn't make any money. The book keeper didn't make money. The CEO didn't make money. When the business closes, even the Janitor stops making money.

Even further, when you buy from China, that shipping to you....people on our side are paying most of it. Thanks to century-old trade agreements, we're paying the shipping on LOTS of imports, and that's how Chinese companies can sell Buy It Now crap on eBay, shipped to your home, for a dollar. So, now the postal service is losing money, and all the people up and down that chain, too. Mechanics. Delivery people. Even the Janitors.

1721075570154.png

The US has standards that protect those people (and you), we have accountability for fraud, we have protection from domestic counterfeits to protect all those jobs AND consumers. When the Chinese lie and rip you off, the wing falls off your airplane and the people that did it....not held accountable. Think about the lead in the paint on your kids' toys. Is the money worth it? The poison in your cats' food? Is the money worth it? The chemicals that we banned here because they cause cancer but are still in use there....Was the money you saved worth it when you look in your wife's eye's during a chemo treatment?

I'm lucky, I am in a financial position where I can spend money to buy the American option, and if it's EVER possible, I do. I only weigh the cost if it's a USA (or at least non-Chinese) product versus same.

Why?
Because I've had friends that sent designs to China to get made, and then after 6 months when they asked where their product was, they were directed to a website where they could buy the product they designed. In that particular case, it was a circuit board for a project that only he cared about, it had NO commercial value what so ever, but that's how the cookie crumbles.

I'm not so poor that I have to suck up crumbs off the floor.

And I'm damn sure not so foolish to send money to people that have actively labeled me their mortal enemy.

I was gonna ask if the OP had researched Taiwan, Singapore, Malaysia, or S Korea.

Most US customers that care, are less hostile towards products made in ally countries.

Taiwan has a LOT of tech MFG, and S Korea has that as well as intricate metal fab.

Heck, even Vietnam has a better standing than mainland China.

Personally, it depends on the part.
For the most part I would have to say 50% more for an American made piece.
After that I really have to think about it.
Except for bearings. I won't buy Chinese bearings, period. I've had too many failures and fitment issues.
Chinese hammers or race drivers? Sure, no problem. Although I do notice hardness issues as compared to American equivalents.
Chinese jack stands? Sure. I would prefer an American floor jack, but you can't find them.

Personally, it depends on the part.
For the most part I would have to say 50% more for an American made piece.
After that I really have to think about it.
Except for bearings. I won't buy Chinese bearings, period. I've had too many failures and fitment issues.
Chinese hammers or race drivers? Sure, no problem. Although I do notice hardness issues as compared to American equivalents.
Chinese jack stands? Sure. I would prefer an American floor jack, but you can't find them.
Most Chinese hammers and vices are cast and not forged. If you use the cheap stuff remember your safety glasses. US made jack stands are hard to come by. Check OTC labels or Lincoln/Walker. I always recommended sizing up if buying Chinese stands. If you think all you need is 3 ton, buy 6 ton. I won't use anything less for working on cars. 10 or 12 ton for your safety. The broader base on the heavier ones is much safer.

I rather pay twice or more for a QUALITY American made part than Chineese. IF I can't afford that, I will look for part USED and usable/rebuilable.
Substandard materials and workmanship is the Chineeziium issue generally. Can they provide adequate workmanship? I think so. But, they must have quality control and care. Their materials are what they are.

No thanks!

Post was not intended to get political it was intended to get a feeling for how much more money someone is willing to pay for the exact same product made in the US vs China.

I can have products made in the US or China with the same machines and materials and quality.

Just out of curiosity, have you contacted the Chambers of Commerce of other nations?
Mexico, Colombia, Thailand, Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia, Indonesia, Burma, Chile, Peru, Poland, Italy, Turkey?

The place I work for just bought a cigarette rolling machine from Turkey. The fit and finish of the machine, as well as the packing/crating was absolute trash. We also had a similar issue with some well pumps as well as with a large custom designed stainless pressure chamber from China. The guy who ordered is has been a manufacturing engineer for Medtronic and other medical device manufacturers. He knows his **** and provided all the technical drawings for the manufacture of the pressure chamber.

Another company that I worked for had a drone contract with the Turkish National Police. Interacting with the Turks is a huge culture shock.

You must keep that in mind when dealing with any foreigners because even if you speak the same language you may not be communicating.

What you have to realize is the Chinese will steal your product and undercut you. As a design engineer, that is just so wrong. Why would you give up your foresight, engineering, and design to make a quick buck and have your ideas, and product stolen away from you in short order? You would be so much better off trying Taiwan. We used to have our aluminum castings and machining done there.

Very relevant point. This video hits close to home. These are not isolated incidents, and need to be assessed in aggregate. This is an issue of CCP policy.

If you want to risk your business and ideas, nobody will stop you.

If all variables are the same, I'm buying the least expensive one. US companies often focus on share holder profits over quality and affordable price. Usually this comes in the form of inflated markups/price gouging to ensure shareholders make as much as possible. Same for CEO bonuses.

Hard to be competitive with other countries when Corporate Greed is entrenched in American businesses.

I wander back n forth between automotive and garden tractor/ small engine stuff. .I am SO DAMN SICK AND TIRED of people bragging about "Predator this, predator that". Anything happens throw it away and get another. Fix it? Hell no. Where do you even get parts for one? It is claimed "some" OEM Honduh parts interchange. But not all. Honduh isn't American either.
I am doing a repower job on a Troy bilt horse. A 1972 TB Horse. 52 years old. Original cast iron Tecumseh engine still runs but is just tired. Mosquito fogger tired. It's served it's purpose, done it's job. I can find parts to fix it, rebuild it (properly). and I may one day/ but everyone and their brother is telling me to just go get a predator motor and scrap this one.
Go to He11. Ain't happenin.
That's a lot of what's wrong with the US. We've been sold out, we are owned and it's a crock of shyt. People going for the "cheaper option" is some of the reason. When I've gone cheap it has come back to bite me.
I have 2 good low hour engines from machines that broke and/ or rusted out sitting here, that will bolt right on without any modifications, and one of which will be put onto the tiller. US made engines. One from a snowblower that was put away wet and rotted out, and one from a power washer that the pump froze on over a winter. Spent less combined for both than even a Damn predator would cost. My last few automotive engines that I built were built by way of 20-30+ year old US made parts sourced from places like rock auto and eBay. No chinesium involved. And done cheaper than I could have done then with chinesium. The parts are still out there collecting dust.

I wander back n forth between automotive and garden tractor/ small engine stuff. .I am SO DAMN SICK AND TIRED of people bragging about "Predator this, predator that". Anything happens throw it away and get another. Fix it? Hell no. Where do you even get parts for one? It is claimed "some" OEM Honduh parts interchange. But not all. Honduh isn't American either.
I am doing a repower job on a Troy bilt horse. A 1972 TB Horse. 52 years old. Original cast iron Tecumseh engine still runs but is just tired. Mosquito fogger tired. It's served it's purpose, done it's job. I can find parts to fix it, rebuild it (properly). and I may one day/ but everyone and their brother is telling me to just go get a predator motor and scrap this one.
Go to He11. Ain't happenin.
That's a lot of what's wrong with the US. We've been sold out, we are owned and it's a crock of shyt. People going for the "cheaper option" is some of the reason. When I've gone cheap it has come back to bite me.
I have 2 good low hour engines from machines that broke and/ or rusted out sitting here, that will bolt right on without any modifications, and one of which will be put onto the tiller. US made engines. One from a snowblower that was put away wet and rotted out, and one from a power washer that the pump froze on over a winter. Spent less combined for both than even a Damn predator would cost. My last few automotive engines that I built were built by way of 20-30+ year old US made parts sourced from places like rock auto and eBay. No chinesium involved. And done cheaper than I could have done then with chinesium. The parts are still out there collecting dust.
We are a Wal Mart society. Use it until it doesn't work, toss it and buy another new one.

-
Back