How much would you pay for this 340?

-
why is a .60 over 340 scrap?
If it's already .060 over and has too much taper you are unlikely to be able to bore any farther without issues as the cylinder walls start to get real thin. The only one I would buy is the original block for my wife's GTS and that would be just to have it.

why is a .60 over 340 scrap?
it's not necessarily scrap, but economy starts to become a factor as well as limits of the block-- taper, strength, heat control, etx.

sure you could sleeve it off, but that's another 1K on top of whatever else you need.

i'd consider going to 60 on a stock or very close to stock rebuild, but it would be a non starter for me on a performance build.

i agree, .060 chancy for hi performance build. But stock would be fine depending on wall thickness.
In an E body that brings 6 figures sleeving for $1K is not a big deal.

A grand these days isn't worth complaining about... when it comes to anything. i was just telling the wife "to get e new washer and dryer I think we are looking at 1600..."
use to be 800 or a grand did it...I said in an earlier post a running 340 is worth 3 grand. I'm building one now I may have 75-80% of 3 grand into it. If I built it and sold it for that I wouldn't really really profit at all...

Last edited:
Get some numbers off the block and heads. Because it's blue, it could be a 72 or 3 with low compression, cast crank, small cam, and small valve heads. . Heck, it could be a 318 and without looking close, you wouldn't know. It's a core.
I agree toolman, I think it may be a 318 out of a truck or van, by the shape of the oil pan. I would also assume the heads are from a later SB and not a 340. No X,J,O or U castings on the heads.

You better be sure what's going on here. TRUCK oil pan.
Could also be a Van pan, I have one and the best part of it is, they are 6 Qt. pans, not 5 as in a car. I think having the "J" heads, it could be a 360. which can in the vans and trucks in the 2 BBL platform. I found many "J" heads that way. I made a comment, not seeing a head marking earlier, but retrack that now after seeing a close-up of the heads. I installed the windage tray from my 340 when installing the deep pan as in photo. You just need to use the same pick-up as in the truck or van pan.

I agree toolman, I think it may be a 318 out of a truck or van, by the shape of the oil pan. I would also assume the heads are from a later SB and not a 340. No X,J,O or U castings on the heads.
I found 2 340s in salvage yards transplanted into trucks and one in a van. Always check numbers

I found 2 340s in salvage yards transplanted into trucks and one in a van. Always check numbers
same here. i found a 340 in a van with a 2bbl intake on it. i was looking for mini starters and just happened upon it. never know what you'll find lurking about...

The photo in post #16 says J heads. J's are 188/160 valve heads and are open chambered. 70-71 360 or 72 340/360. The OP needs to do his homework or not pay much for it because of the unknowns. How about the numbers on the block, drivers side front below the cylinder head on the deck surface.

They are J heads... And J heads showed up on 340's starting in 1970... 69 340 = X heads 70 340 = J heads... 70 & 71 340 J heads had 2.02 intakes and 1.60 exhaust same as J heads... Hell T/A's & AAR's had J heads... With relocated pushrod holes...
Truck pan doesn't mean squat, back in the 70's & 80's lots of 340's got transplanted... Anybody remember there was a "Van Craze"... Back then Vans were cool... Not like today...

I just recently sold 2 '69 standard bore 340s. One with x heads and one with 2.02 J heads. One for $1200 and the other for $1400. Rebuildable cores.

same here. i found a 340 in a van with a 2bbl intake on it. i was looking for mini starters and just happened upon it. never know what you'll find lurking about...
I had a 70' 340 in my van, but took the motor and Trany out for a rainy day, then scraped the van in 2020 when I moved. That is how I know it is a van or truck 6 qt. oil pan. Remember, the 360 is different and will not work on the other small blocks. The truck or van pan will not work on a stock A,B or E body. Sump is different.

Found a complete ‘69 340 near me, but looks pretty rough. You guys think it can be returned to its former glory? As far as I know it's not seized, seller says it ran when it was pulled 6 years ago… still working with him on price, wanted to hear what you guys thought… What would you pay for a 340 in this condition?

View attachment 1716259440

View attachment 1716259441
Ran when pulled, this goes through my head every time…..
IMG_7990_Original.jpeg

-
Back