How much would you spend on it?

-
Well, since others have shared their rides & to show just how cheap I am.... My 68 Coronet...
I gave the man his asking price.... $75.....

pssh... I'm cheaper.... Original owner's son gave me the 69 Fury III ragtop I had for 20 years just because I stopped to ask if it was for sale. It was in similar condition as your 'net.

There are just a few things to consider when buying a classic.

What is it worth to YOU?

What is it worth to anyone else. This only comes into play if maybe someone else will buy it and its gone and you wanted it. Or if you bought it and later want to sell it.

Can you do the work to make it what you want or afford to pay it done/

A couple years ago I was driving through a small town in western IL and caught a glimpse of a '66 for sale. I thought, what the hey. take a look. Went around the block and read the writing on the windshield...............................

View attachment 1716219447

View attachment 1716219450
Yeah I mean you aren't getting them at 1990s prices any more not in my area at least. People saying 1000 and 1200 to me thats rediculous but for a rotted hull with a title? maybe...you know there was a time theyd pay you to haul a rotted hull off their property :)

There are just a few things to consider when buying a classic.

What is it worth to YOU?

What is it worth to anyone else. This only comes into play if maybe someone else will buy it and its gone and you wanted it. Or if you bought it and later want to sell it.

Can you do the work to make it what you want or afford to pay it done/
I think its changing though yeah 20 -30 years ago c bodies weren't wanted but now?... I work with a guy who occasionally drives his 68 Polara in and its a 383 car a huge boat to me but he loves it. it isn't junk either some of these big cars were taken care of garage kept etc. The mindset that "its a c body part it out..." may want to rethink it especially if the car is savable.

I think its changing though yeah 20 -30 years ago c bodies weren't wanted but now?... I work with a guy who occasionally drives his 68 Polara in and its a 383 car a huge boat to me but he loves it. it isn't junk either some of these big cars were taken care of garage kept etc. The mindset that "its a c body part it out..." may want to rethink it especially if the car is savable.
One thing I have learned over the decades is that that are always fans, lovers, enthusiasts for just about every make and model!!! Either the guy had on years ago or wanted one or dad had one!!!

Last all Mopar show I attended was Branson, Mo.probably 10-12 years ago. There was a guy here that drove his C body (I forget what model) there from way out in Ok. and I enjoyed talking with him so much> Why? Because he loved that big car more than anything. Great car. Would I want one? No.. But that does not mean that I don't appreciate his car and his love for it.

If its solid with no rot its restorable... 3-5 grand and it would be a cruiser. Fully restored its a 12- 15 thousand dollar car in the real world. Yes people pay it check out Maple Motors and similar car lots. Now I'm not saying you wouldn't spend that in restoring it though but really... if interior can be cleaned and you paint it? how much? say you have a 361 or 383 to toss in it... you do the body and shoot the paint? a single stage ? you'd turn a profit at 12-15 grand...you low baller guys think low ball IMO :lol:
Fully restored will cost a lot more than you will get in return on a C body, unless you do a the work yourself (just noticed you said that). And for a '66, the demand is less than the fuselage body style. 383 will work, 361 would drop the price considerably, the purists would walk away.
C bodies are still cheap, comparatively speaking, but yes, prices are on the rise. The owners are often a bunch of Cheap Bastards, me included. Sure, we spend money on our cars, and most of us keep them because it's a losing proposition to sell, in most cases.

I buy a whole car to get the few parts I need for my rides, then sell off what I'm not going to use. Do I want to keep every car I come across? You bet, but time, space, and money usually make that impossible. I got my first C body to flip, and raise a little coin for my Dart. Well over fifteen years later, and I've got six C body cars, and two C body parts cars. The poor Dart still sits patiently waiting it's turn. The C body world isn't a huge financial gain environment. But deals are still out there, if you're constantly searching, and have the funds available, they can be had for cheap.

My Slab Side Polara is just bigger than a second Gen Charger, and not much heavier. The Fusie cars got fat.

A bodies believe it or not there was a time no one wanted them either. There will be a market for C bodies people who don't race and just want to cruise an old V8 car. It may not be a top dollar market but like said right now 15 grand is probably right for a good driving quality car. I know you cheap guys don't like that but the cheap days are over its just reality cheap gets ya junk. if you watch now 4 door cars are on the rise . It could be anything A B body a 4 door will bring in 7 8 grand high end 4 or 5 low and its going upo ots teh people who just want a running car to go to shows they may be in their 30s 40s etc and have the money.

A bodies believe it or not there was a time no one wanted them either. There will be a market for C bodies people who don't race and just want to cruise an old V8 car. It may not be a top dollar market but like said right now 15 grand is probably right for a good driving quality car. I know you cheap guys don't like that but the cheap days are over its just reality cheap gets ya junk. if you watch now 4 door cars are on the rise . It could be anything A B body a 4 door will bring in 7 8 grand high end 4 or 5 low and its going upo ots teh people who just want a running car to go to shows they may be in their 30s 40s etc and have the money.
I'm glad I'm not in the East Coast, you guys have some crazy prices!

There is a C body market, and it's been an interesting few years with cars advertised for some pretty high numbers.

Wagons, that's where the real action is, they are on fire right now. I could sell mine for a profit and it still needs the interior done and some other assorted bits.

I'll stick way more money into my Canadian four speed car than I'll ever get out of it, but it's a car I'll likely never see again, so that's not an issue for me.

I don't know anyone personally who would pay that much for a four door, but me and my buddies are into two door cars, or the wagons. I have seen some four door yachts advertised for low to mid 20's, but haven't seen them selling yet.

Its definitely a crazy market out there, new car prices may have softened some to the rising prices of our beloved classics.

Yeah I've seen mid 70s 4 doors for 7 7500 in good shape but, its a 4 door. And yes different part of the country cars rust out here and you don't see old stuff much except in the summer on cruise nights.. old cars arent a way of life they arent daily drivers. An example of old here is maybe a 30 year old pickup or a 20 year old Mustang. Youll see the occasional primered up toyota from the 90s etc. So yeah most wont pay 7 grand for a 76 Dart 4 door if they can get a 97 Toyota for 4 etc.

Prices for most things depend on your location....like real estate.
Here in Texas, what sells on FB Marketplace are models in demand and the price is not right but cheap!!! Thats the real economy except for the high incom people. That is in general, you will always find the guy that finds exactly what he wants and cares less what it costs. The average guy wants value iIF he has the extra income.

Many people on CL etc are not cars guys and only way they price anything is to see what "the other guy is asking!" Want a "minimum " rust C body ? look at Tx Ok Mo Ms Ar and then talk to the guy without hurting his feelings and offer 1/2 what he is asking... good rule of thumb. Sometime offer 1/3 IF in Tx.!
But remember not all cars have lived their entire life in Tx and some lived on the coast!

If its solid with no rot its restorable... 3-5 grand and it would be a cruiser. Fully restored its a 12- 15 thousand dollar car in the real world. Yes people pay it check out Maple Motors and similar car lots. Now I'm not saying you wouldn't spend that in restoring it though but really... if interior can be cleaned and you paint it? how much? say you have a 361 or 383 to toss in it... you do the body and shoot the paint? a single stage ? you'd turn a profit at 12-15 grand...you low baller guys think low ball IMO :lol:
Been a long time you had a car painted. I have a 05' 2500 Ram that needs painting. I was Quoted $6,000 from several shops. No body damage, just fading out on the clear coat. Not counting floor pans. the quarter panel need some TLC on this car

It's an ugly mutt to me, so I couldn't put more than $1500 in it at most.
That quarter panel dent will be a lot of work and this car would be really hard to flip once you start pouring money into it.

Tom

Well, since others have shared their rides & to show just how cheap I am.... My 68 Coronet...

View attachment 1716221597
I gave the man his asking price.... $75.....

Looking a little better...
IMG_8025.PNG

As promised... UPDATE:

As someone here has noted previously, the ad was pulled about two weeks ago, but I've been in contact with the guy since then. However, the two messages I've sent him this week were marked "Couldn't send". Why?... His account is gone.

I'm not completely shocked. I gave him my phone number early-on, so discussing the car would be easier (I'm old school)... but he never called.

Oh well. The hunt for my nasty Joe Dirt car continues.

Twas a good discussion, and I appreciate all the input.

As promised... UPDATE:

As someone here has noted previously, the ad was pulled about two weeks ago, but I've been in contact with the guy since then. However, the two messages I've sent him this week were marked "Couldn't send". Why?... His account is gone.

I'm not completely shocked. I gave him my phone number early-on, so discussing the car would be easier (I'm old school)... but he never called.

If I am selling OR buying, I give my cell number to interested parties and ask for the others guys. I will call the guy, usually get a recording and ask him to return my call. If he does not and did not try to call me first...... then you know just tire kickers. 90% of them.

If an old car is listed on CL Marketplace and a desirable model worth the $, it can sell petty fast.

As promised... UPDATE:

I just saw it listed as I was looking for 1963-64 Plymouth B-Bodies.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1123961435414730/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp:c96f52d3-bbe3-47e4-bdfe-c1b4038c61c4

1966 Plymouth fury​

$3,500
Listed 4 days ago in Columbia Station, OH

After looking at the ad I've lowered my original top dollar offer from $1500 in post #62.

Now I wouldn't wouldn't give $500 for it. Far to much time and money needed to repair it and in the end it's worth half of what you have invested in it.

Tom

Last edited:
Been a long time you had a car painted. I have a 05' 2500 Ram that needs painting. I was Quoted $6,000 from several shops. No body damage, just fading out on the clear coat. Not counting floor pans. the quarter panel need some TLC on this car
You paint it yourself...if you pay people it gets spendy...

-
Back