How Not To Fill Grease Gun

-

dibbons

Reaction score
Don't know if the zerk fittings I found on the front suspension of my 1996 Dodge Dakota were factory installed or are the result of aftermarket replacement components. Any way, my Autozone purchased grease gun (pistol grip) never seemed to work right until I watched a video on how to refill it. I was keeping that rod pulled part-way back when I should have pushed it back in all the way once the top was screwed on almost tight. Live and learn.

I knew a guy once who would scoop all the grease out of the tube and put it in the gun. Although it actually worked, when I showed him how to do it right, he couldn't stop laughing. We used to share a laugh about it when we saw each other on occasion, but he's gone now. He was a good old guy. lol

I knew a guy once who would scoop all the grease out of the tube and put it in the gun. Although it actually worked, when I showed him how to do it right, he couldn't stop laughing. We used to share a laugh about it when we saw each other on occasion, but he's gone now. He was a good old guy. lol
In a previous life I worked with a professional lift truck mechanic. I watched him change a tube of grease one time, and commented on how much neater he was at that than I am. He started laughing, and told me that the last time somebody told him that, he was changing a tube on the customer's carpeted showroom floor (no, I don't remember why he was doing it there). The owner told him that if he (the customer) was changing it, he'd have grease all over the place. Bill shrugged his shoulders, said something about the benefit of experience, just as the rod came loose from the back of the gun, and shot grease all over the customer's carpet. Fortunately, the customer laughed about it, and blamed himself for distracting Bill.

When I change the tube it's an exercise in futility getting the air out.
I have a pneumatic one on wheels with a 5 gallon bucket of grease in it, when my hand held goes empty I fill it thru the zerk off of the air powered one, never have to fight getting the air out of it that way.
I have been thinking about getting a Milwaukee battery powered one.

Don't know if the zerk fittings I found on the front suspension of my 1996 Dodge Dakota were factory installed or are the result of aftermarket replacement components. Any way, my Autozone purchased grease gun (pistol grip) never seemed to work right until I watched a video on how to refill it. I was keeping that rod pulled part-way back when I should have pushed it back in all the way once the top was screwed on almost tight. Live and learn.

Where’s the video?

I've owned plenty of Dakota's, I don't remember any zerks unless I replaced parts that included them. The only one that i think might have had them on there with the original parts were the ones on my 96 4wd

-
Back