How rare is a 1970 Grand coupe

-

cuda guy

Reaction score
Hi everyone

Season greeting from the great white north, well not yet.

I know this thread is for an e body, but there seems to be such a wealth on knowledge on this forum that I just had to post this.

I have a 1970 Grand coupe cuda with a 383 hp, 4 speed, B5 paint, black interoir and AC with rear defrost. Front disks rear drums

The car currently taken apart but it was a race car. Rear frame clip, roll cage and full tubes . Because of this all the fender fender tags are long gone plus the build sheets. I do however have the original engine, transmission and rear end.

My question is is this car rare enough to get the specks from Galon and restore back to original or just turn it into a modern hemi touring car.

I do have a older shell that I can transplant the frame and roll cage into and build the touring car. I want to make this and old shell with all modern running gear.

Any help here would be great.

Rick

I would say do it the way you want...

It's not like you're taking a car that has never been altered and customizing it- it can be put back to original next time.
My two cents worth anyways:)

as memory serves me, there weren't a lot of Gran Coupe Barracudas. they were more of an upscale luxury model. having one with a 4sp would seem to be unusual, if not rare.

if it were me and I had the means, I would restore it. you can always find another Cuda to make into a touring car.

If your not getting the answer's your looking for here and since its a 1970 making it a E-body I would post the same question on FEBO, I'm sure there's lots of "number crunchers" there. good luck

Hi

Is there anyway that I could get a build sheet and or fender tags from the VIN #

Rick

With no fender tag or build sheet there is no way if knowing what options came in the car.

I do not understand why and how so many cars seem to come to be missing fender tags. 'Far's I'm concerned, it's just like the VIN -- it belongs on the car

I even got into a fight on another board sometime ago with some moron who "collects" fender tags.

As far as the question at hand, when a car gets cut up enough to be seriously raced and caged, it's done so far as originality goes.

Hi

Is there anyway that I could get a build sheet and or fender tags from the VIN #

Rick
Thats an interesting quetion.plymouth has that info on record or at least they did with the vin # on the build sheet so finding where it is at might be difficult.If you find anything postb it here as I for one would like to know if its possible.

For 1970 and 1971, the Barracuda and Barracuda Gran Coupe had two six-cylinder engines available — a new 198 cu in (3.2 L) version of the slant-6, and the 225 — as well as three different V8s: the 318ci, the 383ci with 2-barrel carburetor and single exhaust, and the 383ci with 4-barrel carburetor and dual exhaust 330 hp (250 kW) SAE gross.

a wikipedia cut and paste

As far as I can find there was less than 800 Grand coupe cudas built with the 383 4 barrel 330hp and the 4 speed. Of that there was less than 100 with factory AC.

Do u think Galon might be able to help.

Rick

My high school buddy had the exact same car,but with a 340 auto and no A/C.He bought the back half of a 70 convertible and turned it into a 70 cuda ragtop.apparently the car is plumb crazy now with black top.I say build what you want.Good luck in your search.

With no fender tag or build sheet it doesn't matter what you do with it.

X2. Plus, with no fender tag or build sheet, there is no way to prove it's a grand coupe or what came in it. Even if you restore it perfectly to original, it will never be more than a normal Challenger without proof. That being said, a Challenger is an awesome car no matter what, so I would certainly fix it up and put it on the road.

According to the books it looks like 341 383 4 speeds were built.

1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 6 cylinder: 211
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 225-1: 211
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 225-1 3 speed: 29
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 225-1 automatic: 182
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 8 cylinder: 7,109
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 318-2: 5,076
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 318-2 3 speed: 170
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 318-2 4 speed: 164
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 318-2 automatic: 4,742
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 383-2: 945
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 383-2 automatic: 945
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 383-4: 1,088
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 383-4 3 speed: 15
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 383-4 4 speed: 341 <--------------
1970 Plymouth Gran Coupe Hardtop 383-4 automatic: 732

I think Galen might be able to help, but you might wait a while and pay a good chunk of change while doing it.

rare car ive had my 70 318 gc for about 21 years but without the paper work it will always have a question in some circles me personally i dont care what people say my car is no where near stock and prob never will be the 318 and trans that were in the car are long gone

With no buildsheet,fender tag,or original window sticker there is nothing Galen can or will do for you.The only thing you can have Galen do is to check his files to see if someone sent him your tag or sheet.Other than that do what ever you want with the car.

Jim

X2. Plus, with no fender tag or build sheet, there is no way to prove it's a grand coupe or what came in it. Even if you restore it perfectly to original, it will never be more than a normal Challenger without proof. That being said, a Challenger is an awesome car no matter what, so I would certainly fix it up and put it on the road.

Does it have a VIN plate? If so, and the VIN has "BP" as the first 2 digits, then its a Gran Coupe. ("BH" is a Barracuda, "BS" is a 'Cuda). The 5th digit will give you the engine size. After that, everything will be a guess.

Send an email to this website. He has quite a few broadcast sheets (especially E-Bodies) and may have yours.

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/

He's also a FABO member "Alaskan_TA" ...Send him a PM. Best of luck, it looks like a pretty rare car.

welcome to the club, I have had my 383 4 spd. gran coupe since 1979. Mine is EV2 with a/c and black and white houndstooth int. The 341 # is right according to galens white book.

Lou

-
Back