How rare is this and what's it worth?

-

TheCraigMachine

Reaction score
Hey ya'll, I've got a good lead on my dream car, a 67 Dart GT convertable with the 273 4bbl/4speed, red with black interior. I have to be "interveiwed" by the owner before he will even decide to sell or determine the selling price. I haven't seen the car yet, but I know its not running and in need of a full restoration, but is fairly solid body wise from what I've been told. How rare is this combo and what should I expect to pay for a car in this condition? How much would it be worth restored to original specs? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

with out pics, $1000. If its not to bad, as in all there and not to rusty, 2500-3000. The 4spd makes it a little more uncommon.

if you are looking for an "investment", dont. it's almost never profitable because of the expense of "NOS Parts" or "factory matching numbers parts" etc you will go broke before you even do the body / paint.

for a quick buck find a 68-70 charger or a 70-74 'cuda somewhere in a barn and then you will break even or make a little profit.

leave this little gem for an A-Body lover who will fix it up just to enjoy. money will be lost but worth it to most of us here.

Jeez, if you have to be interviewed first, I'll hazard a guess that he wants ridiculous money for it. Solid body is a plus, as long as long as it's complete and not bashed to heck. Good lick passing the "test". :)

Jeez, if you have to be interviewed first, I'll hazard a guess that he wants ridiculous money for it. Solid body is a plus, as long as long as it's complete and not bashed to heck. Good lick passing the "test". :)

The "licking" may help get the price lower.

I have to be "interveiwed" by the owner before he will even decide to sell or determine the selling price.

lol. thats enough for me not to even bother looking at the damn thing.

Hey ya'll, I've got a good lead on my dream car, a 67 Dart GT convertable with the 273 4bbl/4speed, red with black interior. I have to be "interveiwed" by the owner before he will even decide to sell or determine the selling price. I haven't seen the car yet, but I know its not running and in need of a full restoration, but is fairly solid body wise from what I've been told. How rare is this combo and what should I expect to pay for a car in this condition? How much would it be worth restored to original specs? Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Good lord, is he trying to create some kind of mystic aura surrounding this car? Gimme a break. Is he going to slowly peel a silk sheet off it when you arrive? LOL I'd be so tempted to tell him "f**k you, keep it."

BUT....he might be "interviewing" people to try and weed out the Un-Mopar-knowledgeable flipper scum. I know that I have done that in the past. I find it annoying to have a potential buyer come over, supposed "Mopar lover", only to hear them ask if that's a 327 under the hood.....LOL If you've got 5 people as interested buyers, it's always nice to know your car went to someone who will treat it as their lifelong dream car.

I'm not looking to make money off of this car, this is literally my DREAM car! If I were to aquire it, it would be mine forever. I was just merely looking for a ballpark figure on what to expect for a asking price.

As far as the interveiw process, I think the old guy wants to make sure it goes to the right person who will preserve this gem for what it really is. I myself can't possibly imagine a more perfect mopar combination. My valiant project has sapped all of my disposable income lately, and I hope I can scrape up enough cash to snag this project of a lifetime. Ill keep yall informed on how it goes, I'm gonna call the guy here shortly. Ill try to get pics if I can.

I agree with Joe.....anybody that wanted to interview me before selling me there car there someone common car could shove the thing up his arse.....

good luck with the buy. Sometimes I pay more than I should but if it is what I want then pay extra. Better to pay a little more than to settle for something that you are not completely happy with. That combination would be hard to find in a drop top.

It used to be that way with the Ford Model T, Model A and Deuce guys....if they thought you were going to "hot rod" their "stockers"...they wouldn't sell the car to you.

My dad would say "sure I will keep it stock"...2 days later it would be stripped, lowered, chopped, sectioned (whatever his mood of the day) and sportin a small block Chevy.

Paul

if you are looking for an "investment", dont. it's almost never profitable because of the expense of "NOS Parts" or "factory matching numbers parts" etc you will go broke before you even do the body / paint.

for a quick buck find a 68-70 charger or a 70-74 'cuda somewhere in a barn and then you will break even or make a little profit.

leave this little gem for an A-Body lover who will fix it up just to enjoy. money will be lost but worth it to most of us here.

X2 on that!

Put all of what you want to spend on the table and every time he asks you a question, remove one bill...

...but is fairly solid body wise from what I've been told.

Looks can be very deceiving. Convertibles usually rust from the inside out once the top starts leaking and the carpet gets wet. Mine looked totally solid from the bottom. But when you peel up the carpet, that's when you find out what you really have. Also inspect the trunk carefully. The lower rear quarters and the trunk extensions are the first to go.

I'm not looking to make money off of this car, this is literally my DREAM car! If I were to aquire it, it would be mine forever. I was just merely looking for a ballpark figure on what to expect for a asking price.

As far as the interveiw process, I think the old guy wants to make sure it goes to the right person who will preserve this gem for what it really is. I myself can't possibly imagine a more perfect mopar combination. My valiant project has sapped all of my disposable income lately, and I hope I can scrape up enough cash to snag this project of a lifetime. Ill keep yall informed on how it goes, I'm gonna call the guy here shortly. Ill try to get pics if I can.

It sounds like this guy wants his baby to go to a good home to someone who will appreciate it as much as he obviously does. I'll guarantee if someone goes there and starts talking about wheel tubs, big block, gigonda tires and wheels, custom paint/interior, etc. He'll pull out a shotgun to make him leave the premises faster.

If this really is your dream car, then I would do your homework before you go to the interview. If you appear very knowledgeable and appreciative of the car just the way it is, you'll have a good chance of buying it for a fair price. You will probably know within the first 10 seconds of seeing the car if this is the one for you.

Just apperaing knowledgeable will go a long way like saying: "This has an 8-3/4 rear end with 3.23 gears right?" "Does it have the optional Kelsey Hayes disc brakes?" "It still has the resonator tip? Wow, I was hoping it was still there!" "Does it still have the finned valve covers?" "I always liked the 67 Darts because...." will show that you know what you are talking about and that you like the car as much as he does. It sounds like he's more interested in a new nanny for his baby than the amount of dollars he can sell it for. Just friendly small talk, intelligent questions about the car, enthusiasm and appreciation will go a long way towards sealing the deal.

Other than the 383, a 273-4 was the hottest engine for the 67 Darts. A convertible is more valuable than a hardtop and a 4 speed is worth more than an automatic. Generally, I think the price books say 10% more for a 4 speed. But you don't tell him all that if you're trying to get the best price you can. Without seeing any production figures, I'd say less than 300 67 Darts, 273-4, 4 speed convertible Darts were built.

I'd say $3800.00 would be a fair price. Humor the guy and do the interview. If he sounds like he wants you to keep it stock then convince him you will. Once the title is in your hands you can do with it as you please. I always try and follow a lead on a car I am excited about. A lead can always lead to other great finds. When I was searching for a replacement Barracuda body I met a guy who had a rough notchback in his garage. I passed on the car, but I did take home his super rare A-body 18 spline 4-speed for $250.00! So, never discount what may be waiting for you out there. BTW my search also ended in me discovering my 1969 'Cuda factory big block 4-speed car fifty miles from my home. It was hiding in the parts section under Mopar parts for sale on Craigslist in Houston. Final tally was 3250.00 for car and 4-speed. Went to an old junkyard outside of Houston filled with random weird old cars. C-bodies and El Caminos, wagons and stuff. Talked to the owner and he had two 8 3/4 third members stashed on the floor of an old Chrysler. One 742 case with unknown gears and the other a 741 case with 741 case with my dream gears 3:91's! $60.00 later and I was taking them home. Might sound like I am bragging, but I am actually saying it really pays to be friendly and talk to people. It's not always about money, but sometimes just meeting new people and making a friend. I earn $12.00 an hour and I own my dream Moparbecause I took the time to talk to these people.

I like to work the car backwards...

If this car had a full everything bare shell restoration, paint, and all detailing. How much would it be worth?: I'm thinking $25K to $35K. Must have fender tag. Buildsheet would help a bunch. Others opinions?

Seems like a $2K to $6K non running project car. The 4speed is huge, the red paint and black interior is great, 273 4bbl very good. The only more valuable color combo I can think of for that car would be TX9 black exterior.

It's probably the most desirable 67 Dart conv and hardtop besides a 67 383 GTS hard top or 67 383 GTS convertible. I think it could give automatic 67 383 Dart GTS's in less desirable colors a run for the money.

ive done the same thing with people been friendly and have gotten great deals .I just recently bought a snow blower off craigslist guy wanted $40 said it ran but auger wouldnt disengage no big deal . I get there seen he had a old 72 ltd convertable in his garage started talking to him about it gave him a few ideas for the engine and walked away with 3 snowblowers all running and worked well lol. he kept my number and just talked to him last week he needed help with his car , I helped him out and got $200 plus some parts for my galaxie from him . so you never know

I had a person show up to buy a motorcycle, was not a show piece, but it was nice and I took care of it. The person picked and whined about everything in a very arrogant manner and then started flashing a wad of $100's, but only half of what I was asking. I probably would have come down some, but at that point, I would not have sold him the dirt out of my garden for $100K.

Be decent to the guy, continue to follow your dreams.....sounds like a rare find.

Really, I hate those guys. I looked at a Dart one time, not really anything special, and the guy wanted to talk my ear off for an hour and a half to see if I was a worthy next owner of his car, before he would even give me a price. When he finally got to it, he wanted way more than the car was worth based on the condition. Bozo !

Went thru the "interview" when I bought my 64 Rambler Ambassador. There was a lot of family history with the car and grandma did not want to let it go easily. The process was to ease her mind and I had help from family members. Still was a tough day when I picked up the car. The poor old girl was crying and she could not even watch as I loaded the car on the trailer. She was headed for the care home and passed away about 6 months later. Her granddaughter is my sister in law, (all by marriage), so I keep them updated about the car periodically. Still own and drive the car, likely always will. Seems to have worked out well.

Mainly boils down to what your willing to pay for it!!! And please take condition into account when thinking about it! Just guessing without seeing $3000.00 and under should be a decent ballpark. Good luck hope you get it for a good price.

-
Back