How screwed am I?

-
Well I just went through this. A Pa title that was never transfered that I needed in my name, Guy was dead. Gave it to a guy in New jersey he transfered it to his name. No one had to be there and no bill of sale. They gave him a new title on the spot.

He gave the new title to me and being it is out of state. I can transfer it to me at any notary in Pa. without the seller or a reciept present. That is the loop hole Its been done this way for years. Go out of state and bring it back!!

I might be a good idea to get a hold of the person whos name is on the title, explain the situation to them and see if they are willing to sign an affidavit to the effect it had the wrong name entered as buyer ant then you can put it in your name.

This is the best route.... Not sure of other reply's but until the Title is in your name and free and clear the car is not yours plain and simple. A court of law won't accept ignorance on your part so I would not put a dime in the car until you have legal ownership of it......

Here is my thoughts. A Body's are great but you don't have a 67 Fastback Mustang in this discussion and hopefully the owner will hear your story, understand the situation, and proceed with getting you the title so you can do whatever you want with the car.

Good luck OP,

JW

all this depends on how picky your state is. call your state office DMV, tell them you bought this car out of Ga, a NON title state on these old cars. if they except all this, write out a bill of sale from John Doe, address such and such atlanta ga. my state takes this with a ID/OD, no question!!!!!!!

apply to your state for lost title, in name of last owner, have them send it to that name with YOUR address there, ****** IF your state does not require titles to be notorized, ...... well then do your paperwork........

I have done it with motorcycles in WI

Forging? Doctoring? Just Sign it? What are you guys.....? These are all CRIMES and you have now made yourself an accessory. Yes you can have state requirements but federal law trumps state(s) law. There are legal and legit ways to solve your problem. Find out what they are in your particular state from someone who actually knows the correct answer. I get some of your answers. It's worked for you before. Doesn't make it right.

The best piece of advise you got so far was, do not put a dime into the vehicle until you get this sorted. If the vehicle is confiscated. They take everything.

If you go back to whose name is on the title, you better hope they are not crooks. All they have to do is claim the car is stolen because it is still titled in their name. Stranger things have happened.

And yet another reason why I transfer the title right away to my name unless I bought the car to flip quickly

I had a similar issue happen here in CA. The car I bought here had never been transferred from the original owner in WI and I had no clue who that person was or how to get a hold of them. The lady at the DMV must have liked me because she told me to keep my mouth shut and 5 minutes later I was out of there with a title in the mail.

Forging? Doctoring? Just Sign it? What are you guys.....? These are all CRIMES and you have now made yourself an accessory. Yes you can have state requirements but federal law trumps state(s) law. There are legal and legit ways to solve your problem. Find out what they are in your particular state from someone who actually knows the correct answer. I get some of your answers. It's worked for you before. Doesn't make it right.

The best piece of advise you got so far was, do not put a dime into the vehicle until you get this sorted. If the vehicle is confiscated. They take everything.

IF the vehicle is not stolen, then there is no harm done to anyone. Sometimes, there is no other way. If law enforcement comes after someone for something so trivial, then they are hurting for something to do.

Gubmint makes this stuff so damned complicated to begin with. All of this needs to be the SAME across the board in every state. It is total bullshit to have to even worry about a stupid title on cars this old anyway. DMV check to make sure it's not stolen and bill of sale is ALL that should be required.

Just more reasons for the gubmint to tack on extra fees and taxes. Once a vehicle is bought, you should never have to pay bullshit taxes on it again. Same with a house. You never own anything anymore and all because we as a society have sat on our fat asses watchin American Idol, playin on forums and Facebook and let it all happen.

Anytime you have to have a license for something, that means the gubmint has stolen a right and is selling it back to you. Same with a car title. You don't have to pay a recurring tax on anything else you buy except cars and houses. It's legalized theft and it's total bullshit. When you buy a new car, you pay taxes on it. You buy a house, you pay taxes on it. That should be the end of it. No more taxes, no more tags or bullshit.

The gubmint bends us over so much and STEALS from us on a regular basis, yet calls it legal. I don't think one little document being a little fuzzy JUST so you can get the paperwork you need for it will hurt a soul.

It's not like it's Wall Street. It's an old car.

Maybe I'm confused here. You have a title and such. But you aren't listed as the buyer? Who's listed as the buyer? Do you have anything proving what you traded to him?

You guys got some crazy rules down there. Up here you don't even have to have the registration. As long as the person listed as the seller is the last registered owner in the registration it's good. You can write a bill of sale on a back of a napkin if you want. Seller. Buyer. Witness. Date. That's all you need. Obviously more is better. And every registry hands out bill of sales for free. And every registration comes with a bill of sale on the back. The lack of paperwork has made for some interesting cases (guys buying cars then getting drunk and wrecking them and only claiming they were loaned) and such. But it's a lot better than having a 100 forms to fill out. It's buyer and seller beware.

As for what to do. If you just need a bill of sale from them to you. Like RRR said, make one up. They did sell it to you. You did give them something for what you got. You're not cheating anyone. You're getting what's yours. Blind squirrel might freak out over that. But fact is you completed the transaction in good faith. Plain and simple.

Each state conducts its own policies and procedures regarding car titles. Texas has a bonded title process for cars without titles. So does Wisconsin. Beyond that similarity, I am unable to assist further. Here is the Wisconsin bonded title application form. Good luck. [ame="http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv2082.pdf"]http://wisconsindot.gov/Documents/formdocs/mv2082.pdf[/ame]

IF the vehicle is not stolen, then there is no harm done to anyone. Sometimes, there is no other way. If law enforcement comes after someone for something so trivial, then they are hurting for something to do.

Gubmint makes this stuff so damned complicated to begin with. All of this needs to be the SAME across the board in every state. It is total bullshit to have to even worry about a stupid title on cars this old anyway. DMV check to make sure it's not stolen and bill of sale is ALL that should be required.

Just more reasons for the gubmint to tack on extra fees and taxes. Once a vehicle is bought, you should never have to pay bullshit taxes on it again. Same with a house. You never own anything anymore and all because we as a society have sat on our fat asses watchin American Idol, playin on forums and Facebook and let it all happen.

Anytime you have to have a license for something, that means the gubmint has stolen a right and is selling it back to you. Same with a car title. You don't have to pay a recurring tax on anything else you buy except cars and houses. It's legalized theft and it's total bullshit. When you buy a new car, you pay taxes on it. You buy a house, you pay taxes on it. That should be the end of it. No more taxes, no more tags or bullshit.

The gubmint bends us over so much and STEALS from us on a regular basis, yet calls it legal. I don't think one little document being a little fuzzy JUST so you can get the paperwork you need for it will hurt a soul.

It's not like it's Wall Street. It's an old car.

Rusty - I get it. The "G" has seemingly been f'en us for so long that we want to take a shot back now and then. The problem is power. You never know when the bull's-eye gets hung on your back and you become the focus of attention. Your entire life can change on something as simple as a blanket being tugged on (think tug-a-war) and you let go and she gets hurt. It's a fact - I've seen it. So why hang a target on your back when there is no need for one. Put the own-is on someone else. So it takes a couple more days. It's what they get paid for. You end up free and clear and not looking back.

And yes I agree on the whole taxation thing. It's why you're never really property owner. You lease it from them. Stop paying the taxes and see what happens. A taxed product, any taxed product sold should never be taxed again. With few exceptions.

I have to disagree with the 'you don't have a title you aren't owner crap' title is defined as ownership of property, what this is over is the 'certificate of title' which, the OP has, but is worried it isn't filled in correctly. Like I said on page one, go down to the local used car dealer and ask what legal way they would go to get it fixed. They know the area, the liscence branch and what openings you have to get things done.

It may be as simple as a single piece of paper you need to file a correction.

Listen!! I have been doing this for years. Send the title to someone in New Jersey. They can transfer it on the spot to themselve and walk out with a title.They send it back to you. A jersey title can be carried into any state without the owner and transfered. I know of this for years. R titles for rebuildables samething. Easy Peasy. Why does everybody think this is so hard to do is beyond me. I just did one two weeks ago. I have the jersy title in my hand.

I mean i Agree with RRR. Hate to say it but, just forge it. We had to several weeks ago with a 68 Thunderbird. In NY you need to insure the project to register it and so projects can become passed across an owner without changing names. Use the free federal DB search, make sure its not reported totaled or stolen. If you're clear... sign what needs signing.

Well that does vary state to state. NY for example is a bit strict.

Someone in the DMV office lied to you or you didn't explain the situation correctly.

In '68 you'd have a transferable registration as proof of ownership. There is no title. You can hold this registration without plates. Only if you're plating it do you have to have insurance on it. You tell the DMV that you're transferring the registration into your name as proof of ownership and you're not putting it on the road. At that point, you'll be given a registration with the plate number section left blank.

As a matter of fact, that's one of the things my local DMV usually asks. "Are you transferring this as proof of ownership or are you putting the car on the road?"

The best COA will be for YOU to dig into your particular state's laws and have a FULL understanding of the titling/registration/property tax process before going into the DMV. They don't care, and never will. You have to know your left and right limit and can't rely on that gubment employee to know their job. That's why some of the shadier methods work, because the clerk either doesn't care, or flat doesn't know. If you are going to do it, do it right. You don't want to have money into the car, only to have legalities with the title bite you in the *** later. Just look at it as step 1 in the restoration process..piece of mind and all that..

Example is that a clerk in NC had me jumping through a bunch of hoops in order to run my 1969 NC license plate on my car. I told her this was a daily driver and would see 5k+ miles a year. She had me doing the things for something that was used in parades and never came with a street title. All that was really required by law, was I registered the vehicle as a normal driver, and as long as the plate was in servicable condition and the same year as manufacture, you just mounted the vintage plate, and stored the standard plate in the vehicle available for inspection by LEO upon request. Days wasted dealing with her, when it took me 10min online reading state PDF's to determine the correct COA.

Good luck!

I had a problem with a bike I was working on. 1972 Montesa. No title but had a vin off it. I live in NY. I registered the bike in Vermont. They sent me my plate and registration. I then went to my DMV and swapped plates and regi to NY! May work in your case. Vermont doesn't need a title or reg for vehicles older then 86 I think. Look it up! Good luck

Someone in the DMV office lied to you or you didn't explain the situation correctly.

In '68 you'd have a transferable registration as proof of ownership. There is no title. You can hold this registration without plates. Only if you're plating it do you have to have insurance on it. You tell the DMV that you're transferring the registration into your name as proof of ownership and you're not putting it on the road. At that point, you'll be given a registration with the plate number section left blank.

As a matter of fact, that's one of the things my local DMV usually asks. "Are you transferring this as proof of ownership or are you putting the car on the road?"

That is correct, but! I had the same thing happen to me with my Valiant. I tried to explain this to two different clerks on two different occasions and they wouldn't have it "No insurance, No registration". No arguing with those people, they'll just kick ya out.

-
Back