How short is a 727 shorty? and why was it made?

-

BigWhip

New to Mopar land
Reaction score
How short is a 727 shorty? Why were they made? Can you use the short tail shaft on a 904? If possible what all is required? Is they any disadvantage to the short tail shaft?

Thats a lot of questions.

Thanks

BW

Can't tell you the length but I can tell you they were only used in HD trucks and motorhomes and can't easily be used in a car because they don't use a splined output shaft. They use a bolt on yoke like a rearend. Also the tailshaft and housing is so short it won't work with a cars crossmember without major modification. All car 727's are long tailshaft. You can't swap any parts from a 904 to a 727 except the valve body.

There seems to be a misconception that torqueflites came in different length varities in cars like GM's did when they didn't. There's only only one length whether it's out of a Dart or Imperial.

the tailshafts were either 8 or 12 in long. can't remember. i have one in the shed in storage. they had a bolt on yoke without cable shift.

i have one i was going to use for a project, it was a hassle to find it, i will try and get a pic of it this week. i even have the bolt on shaft too.

The one in the 2nd pix is not a factory trans. That is a modified unit built by a trans. shop. It even says it's shortened by 8".

No factory 727 car trans was any different than the other concerning length.

I do not disagree about the car transmission sizes for Mopar products.

Then reading about the 727 I was impressed by all the companies that has used a version of the 727 in their cars. International, Aston Martin, Land Rover, Maserati and others. Then the industrial applications expand the use of the 727 even more.

The link to the Auckland site was for razorback.

You seem offended ( bold print and all) that I reposted the new information I had. Why? It was not meant to offend but to share information. No more no less.

A local Mopar person said that they modified some of the transmissions in the 60's. This was done by resplining a standard shaft like you would do to axles when you narrow a rear end. Has anyone here done that?

BW

You seem offended ( bold print and all) that I reposted the new information I had. Why? It was not meant to offend but to share information. No more no less.

BW

Since you didn't specify you were refering to modified 727's it appeared that you just didn't believe what I was saying. I didn't see any acknowledgement or disagreement, just new postings that showed a short shaft modified 727 saying here is pics of it. I didn't mean to sound harsh. I put it in bold to make sure and catch your attention in case you overlooked it in my earlier post. I didn't mean to sound like a know it all on torqueflites but I have rebuilt many over the last 25 yrs. so I knew there was no stock short shaft 727 except the motorhome/4wd and that's why I stated it.

Sorry about the misunderstanding.

Fishy

My apology also. I think faster than I can type and tend to leave some MAJOR issues out. No harm No foul.

BW (lost in Tennessee at times)

-
Back