How to 360?

-

68fastback

Reaction score
How can you get 350+ horsepower out of a 360 with "L" heads without stroking it and on a budget of $800.

I'm no pro, but I'd start with a decent cam, edelbrock rpm airgap intake, and a 700 cfm carb?

I would still like to keep this streetable but at the track for fun. How drastic of a cam should I go and can I make 350+ out of a non stroked 360?

First of all why are you stuck on 350+ horsepower?? It's always kinda hard to build a high horse/torque motor on a budget. I say just build the best motor you can with the 800 bucks and go from there. Or if you have a running motor already you could get a little crazy with the spray to get the power you want!

comp cam x268he with lifters...edelbrock air gap, holley 750 vacuum secondary carb, and headers.

First of all why are you stuck on 350+ horsepower?? It's always kinda hard to build a high horse/torque motor on a budget. I say just build the best motor you can with the 800 bucks and go from there. Or if you have a running motor already you could get a little crazy with the spray to get the power you want!

I'm not stuck on 350 I just want the best I can get. Im trying not to go with spray.

Get the compression up first with some good pistons, add a good cam, then add bolt ons with the leftover money and later when the budget allows, more add ons.

Get the compression up first with some good pistons, add a good cam, then add bolt ons with the leftover money and later when the budget allows, more add ons.

What bolt ons should I start with? I know how to work on cars but I am lost on the performance side of things. I could really use some help.

I assume you have a good solid 360 to start with? 800.00 isn't going to buy you allot but, I would start with a set of Hedman headers or something like them a good 2 1/2" exhaust. A Air gap or D4B intake and 600 Edelbrock. That will eat up your budget.

I assume you have a good solid 360 to start with? 800.00 isn't going to buy you allot but, I would start with a set of Hedman headers or something like them a good 2 1/2" exhaust. A Air gap or D4B intake and 600 Edelbrock. That will eat up your budget.

I actually have headers and 2-1/2 pipes on the car already. The 360 is a strong motor out of a 1984 dodge ram van. I have "L" heads and an Edelbrock LD 340 intake from a 340 that was in the car. I am thinking of going with a new rpm air gap intake, a cam and a new carb. I have a new holley 650cfm double pumper in the box from another car but it does not sound like that will be good enough.

I actually have headers and 2-1/2 pipes on the car already. The 360 is a strong motor out of a 1984 dodge ram van. I have "L" heads and an Edelbrock LD 340 intake from a 340 that was in the car. I am thinking of going with a new rpm air gap intake, a cam and a new carb. I have a new holley 650cfm double pumper in the box from another car but it does not sound like that will be good enough.

Stick with that intake, it's an excellent unit. The 650 is enuff though a 750 would be better, though not truly needed.

Do you know your compresion ratio?

If it is low, mill the heads and install a cam with an intake duration of 230 @ .050 and more on the exhaust.

You'll make the power easy.

Also, as a note, making 1 HP per cubc inch is easy and dosen't require stroking.

Do you know your compresion ratio?

Unfortunately I do not know compression ratio. I would like to find out, other than running is there a better way?

What should I do to the heads, they have had a little work done but only to allow stainless steel valves.

.....and maybe a little pocket porting on those heads would help a bit too. Headers, of course too. It would be nice if those pistons were around zero deck height, not like .080 in the hole @ TDC. Man, $800 is a bit light, but hey.....go for it! How about one of those Hughes cams too?......I'd say about 230 @ .050......or maybe 224/230....something like that. It seems like many years of 360's tend to suffer from sucky compression, which.....to me....should be corrected by better pistons. I'm not wild about milling, and it doesn't improve the compression that drastically either.....oh well, a budget is a budget.

.....and maybe a little pocket porting on those heads would help a bit too. Headers, of course too. It would be nice if those pistons were around zero deck height, not like .080 in the hole @ TDC. Man, $800 is a bit light, but hey.....go for it! How about one of those Hughes cams too?......I'd say about 230 @ .050......or maybe 224/230....something like that. It seems like many years of 360's tend to suffer from sucky compression, which.....to me....should be corrected by better pistons. I'm not wild about milling, and it doesn't improve the compression that drastically either.....of well, a budget is a budget.

I might have around $1000 but it will take more rear kissing of the wife than I like to do.

Well with the added info. I would definitely keep the LD340, it is a very good street intake. I went from a Performer to a LD340 and man what a difference!
I agree the 650 Dp is a good carb and will give you crisper throttle response, you may lose a little on the top end. Work on bumping the compression up. Easiest way is to mill the heads and use a good MLS .027 head gasket. I would spend your money on a cam and kit. I'm a Hughes Engine cam supporter, thou some will disagree. I might use they're HEH2328AL.

I'd go for more cam like I mentioned above and mill the heads approx. .060 with the aboce mentioned gasket.

The valves only need a back cut and a comp. valve job. No need to spend for stainless steel valves and no need for 2.02's ethier. Bowl porting a plus, but it's not needed for the power level sought and it's an extra $1000 total (With valve work included) money spent on parts not needed. But hey, why listen to me or spend less...............

(Note to the other posters, I recomended a heavier cam in lite of a tight budget to save money instead of going the route of a smaller cam and head work. True, it would be more efficent and crisper, but he did say $800.
The day I need to kiss the wifes *** for money is the week I seek a lawyer and taking back my check in full!)

I have the HEH2330AL which is an older version of the HEH2328AL in my 69 360 Dart and works very well to about 5800 rpm has a nice sound also. I'm not familiar with the Comp cams as I'm a Hughes fan. But I'm sure they work well

Dang, I only paid an extra $125.00 to do a bowl cleanup when I had my heads done.....but that was a long time ago. Maybe even buy that Mopar Performance little kit to do it on your own.......I forgot the part number.

I am with SGBARRACUDA about the Hughes cams. I used their smallest solid lifter in my 360 '69 Dart 4-spd, 3.55. It was beautiful for my combination for the street. I don't like their step seat deal for the inner valve spring. Dollar for dollar, nothing gives you more of a kick you can feel than a gear ratio change!
Pat

the motor is strong and runs good but it is a 1984. Should I replace all the bearings(main and rod) or should I spend the money on performance and do a reseal kit for it?

If it runs good, DONT TOUCH IT!!! Change the pan. I'd add the MP windage tray pkg. Dont mill the heads, or do any more than stick a set of Comp 901-16 springs in it with new valve seals and replacing the exh valve rotators with std retainers. Replace the timing set with a cheapie from Summit, and buy the MP timing chain tensioner. Run the MP thin head gaskets. Install a performance hydraulic cam, I'd go the XE268 (biggest one for the valve springs) and use that LD340 intake with a 750 AVS Edelbrock. That's it. Poof. Instant 300+horsepower for less than $1000. Sell the Holley for the extra cash. Double pumpers are not needed. The next thing ro do would be the rear axle. Before a convertor or anything else. $800 is not enough to pay to have a rear built properly.

If I were you, I'd sell the LD340, and pick up a '73 stock TQ intake. Your buget will improve, and you won't loose performance wise. Your 650 double pump will work fine. Use the headers you already have, and try to find some good inexpensive pistons from another hot rod guy; I see them for sale all the time. Then pick up a cam, and windage tray. I had a great Racer Brown cam in my T/A 340, that I intend to use again. Budget is blown, but move to the rear gear after that.

If I were you, I'd sell the LD340, and pick up a '73 stock TQ intake. Your buget will improve, and you won't loose performance wise. Your 650 double pump will work fine. Use the headers you already have, and try to find some good inexpensive pistons from another hot rod guy; I see them for sale all the time. Then pick up a cam, and windage tray. I had a great Racer Brown cam in my T/A 340, that I intend to use again. Budget is blown, but move to the rear gear after that.

Yeah sell the LD-340, TO ME I'll take that off your hands.

-
Back