How to add DRL

-

Got2Gnow

Reaction score
I have a 1971 Swinger. I want to add DRL (Daylight Running Lamps) to it using the front grille TURN signal lamp filaments. I DO NOT want to use the headlamps for the DRL. Has anyone done this? A schematic/diagram would be very helpful as well. Let me know what you've done/got.

Funny, on many of the truck forums, truck owners whine, moan, and complain about DRL's.

Since the turn signals already have 2 filaments, you can simply turn on your "parking lights" as DRL's. Of course that will also turn on your tail lights, too.

Back in the day, we used to add a simple toggle switch (in line) so that we could turn off the tail lights at will. It was a idea we stole from the old bootleggers. The only difference was that we would only switch off the tail light, and still allow the stop lights to work.

It would seem a simple matter to add a hot lead to the "parking light" side of the turn signal socket. I'd add a bypass switch to it, though, for normal running.

Yeah.... all that is "old School", but I'm an old school guy. lol

In 71, the park and tail lights were tied together. What "Ma" did was simply disconnect the park lights at the "park" terminal on the headlight switch, and move it over to the "tail" terminal. This means if the headlights are on the park lights are on, too.

This means that if you INSIST on having this daylight function, you only have two (three) alternatives.

1........Every single time you start it up, you have to turn the parking lights on, and every time you shut it off, you have to turn the light switch off

2.......Dig into the harness and identify the park circuit wire. You'll need a service manual to do that. I don't give one **** what people say, you NEED A SERVICE MANUAL. You can separate that wire, and either isolate it with diodes, or a relay, or move it back to the park terminal of the light switch, then use a relay to feed ignition power to that terminal

3.......Come up with some sort of alternative front lamps for your run function, in this day and age I'd think LED

1........Every single time you start it up, you have to turn the parking lights on, and every time you shut it off, you have to turn the light switch off

Cheapest and easiest, but a pain in the butt that will probably get old, after a few months

2.......Dig into the harness and identify the park circuit wire. You'll need a service manual to do that. I don't give one **** what people say, you NEED A SERVICE MANUAL. You can separate that wire, and either isolate it with diodes, or a relay, or move it back to the park terminal of the light switch, then use a relay to feed ignition power to that terminal

Most difficult, but once finished, probably the most convenient.

3.......Come up with some sort of alternative front lamps for your run function, in this day and age I'd think LED

Easier, but a little more costly.

Why do you want DRL's?

-
Back